What did it take to get a ticket in 1946?

Old January 21st 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default What did it take to get a ticket in 1946?

I saw Arthur Godfrey pilot an Eastern Airlines Constellation.

That was a great video that really captures the era. I've got excerpts
from it he

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...yingwi1953.mpg

and

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...ngwi1953_2.mpg

These are gi-normous downloads, so be patient.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 21st 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 20, 2:34 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

I saw Arthur Godfrey pilot an Eastern Airlines Constellation.

Oh yeah? I can top that.

Last summer, I saw Elvis Presley himself taxi up in the left seat of
a green and white Bellanca Super Viking and and park next to me on the
ramp at Henderson Executive (KHND in Las Vegas). I know for a fact it
was Elvis himself, due to his trademark sideburns and white bellbottom
jumpsuit with gold stripes down the pant legs and gold stars
embroidered on the huge lapels. I swear it really was Elvis. He even
said "Thank ya, Thank ya very much" to the lineman who gave us a ride
in the van to the FBO.

Unlike Anthony, both Elvis and I flew to Vegas in real airplanes too.
Old January 21st 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Viperdoc wrote:
Unfortunately for Anthony, serving the country in the military is a foreign
concept, although which service branch would take him is another question.

I could just see his lard ass in front of a Marine drill instructor,
explaining how to re-design the M-16, or expounding on infant formula and
breast feeding.

Every platoon has a use for an Anthony, even
if it's just cleaning the grease trap at the
mess hall.
Old January 21st 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
dgs[_3_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

I saw Arthur Godfrey pilot an Eastern Airlines Constellation.

So what? I'm really Richard Branson.
--
dgs
Old January 21st 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Viperdoc wrote:
Unfortunately for Anthony, serving the country in the military is a
foreign concept, although which service branch would take him is
another question.

I could just see his lard ass in front of a Marine drill instructor,
explaining how to re-design the M-16, or expounding on infant formula
and breast feeding.

Every platoon has a use for an Anthony, even
if it's just cleaning the grease trap at the
mess hall.

Obviously he's too stupid too stand still for use as a doorstop...

Bertie
Old January 21st 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

I saw Arthur Godfrey pilot an Eastern Airlines Constellation.

That was a great video that really captures the era. I've got excerpts
from it he

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...yingwi1953.mpg

and

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...ngwi1953_2.mpg

These are gi-normous downloads, so be patient.

That's where I got the whole thing, although it's on YouTube as well.

I wonder how the real Eastern captain felt as mere copilot to the Hollywood
Eastern captain in the person of Arthur Godfrey.

I also wonder whom the film targeted, since I don't recall hearing about it
before, and I can't find many references to it.
Old January 21st 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

A superb bumper sticker is from the Coast Guard. "Elvis, if you're out
there, we'll find you."

Old January 21st 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:04:21 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote in :

I wonder how the real Eastern captain felt as mere copilot to the Hollywood
Eastern captain in the person of Arthur Godfrey.

Henry Tindall "Dick" Merrill was the Eastern Airlines captain on that
flight. Judging from the account below, and Merrill's book, The Wings
Of Man," it would appear that Merrill and Godfrey were personal
friends.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0581276/bio
... The couple settled in Miami with Dick assigned the Eastern
Airlines Miami to New York runs with occasional flights to South
America. Too old for a commission, Dick signed on as a civilian
MTD pilot and flew the China-Burma "Hump" in DC3's and C-46
Commandos during the war conducting critical supply lights and
survey missions. He returned to Eastern Airlines after the war and
officially retired from Eastern Airlines on Oct. 3, 1961 after
flying a DC8 from New York to Miami, reputedly with the most air
miles of any pilot in commercial aviation history, and ranked as
the second most senior pilot with the airline. Dick continued to
fly into his 80's whenever the opportunity arose, accompanying
friend Arthur Godfrey on an around the world flight in 1966, set a
speed record at age 78, delivering a Lockheed L-1011 Tri-Star from
California to Miami at an average 710 MPH ground speed, and once
flew an SST Concorde. Virtually no civilian pilot in the history
of aviation piloted such a vast range of aircraft. After Dick's
death in October, 1982, Toby spent the remainder of her life
actively promoting her husband's rightful place in the annals of
aviation history. ...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0323960/bio
... He [Arthur Godfrey] was rated as a Naval Aviator in 1950 (his
previous attempts to serve during the war were thwarted by a leg
injury). He was certified to fly virtually every type of aircraft
in existence during his lifetime (rotor, jet, multiple engine,
helicopter, holding FAA type ratings from the DC-3 to the
Constellation) and was an honorary pilot for Eastern Airlines. He
appeared in a 1953 Eastern Airlines film with famed pilot Dick
Merrill at the helm of a Constellation. His friend Capt. Eddie
Rickenbacker gave him a customized DC-3 in 1947, which he more
than returned in kind through plugs for the airline along with his
endorsements about flying safety to his millions of flying-wary
listeners during the 1940s. ...

Old January 22nd 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On Jan 21, 5:30*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I saw Arthur Godfrey pilot an Eastern Airlines Constellation.

That was a great video that really captures the era. * I've got excerpts
from it he

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...2-16-Flyingwi1...

and

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...2-16_Flyingwi1...

These are gi-normous downloads, so be patient.

Like anthony has somewhere to be

Bertie

FA: TWA STARLINER~1946~Bound Volume~Trans World Airline~scarce [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 February 7th 07 10:45 PM
Wanted: Bulkhead for 1946 Navion A Continental E-225 A-Hall Restoration 0 June 6th 06 09:11 PM
WTB:135 Ticket AML Owning 1 May 24th 06 08:41 PM
FS: 1946 Aeronca 7BCM that Needs Recovering [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 29th 05 11:41 PM
Iran crisis 1946 and Yugoslavia Vic Flintham Military Aviation 1 December 13th 03 10:50 AM