Got *that* call today...

Old February 29th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Got *that* call today...

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
That's why I was taught to push down on the spine.

And why I was taught to always use the towbar. I haven't seen anyone
push down on a Cessna's tail in decades.

Didn't have a tow bar for the Cessna I flew. But it just took a little push
to pop the tailwheel out of the detent, then it was real easy to move.
;-)
--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 1st 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Drew Dalgleish

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:21:58 -0500, "Marco Leon"
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
And then I got the call.

Every owner dreads that call. I think this is one main reason I have
always done owner-assisted annuals. It keeps me close to the action, and
I don't have to worry about "the call"...

So I guess for you Jay, it's a tap on the shoulder. "Umm Jay? Take a look at
this..."

Same damage to the wallet, no?

Marco

The only difference is that when Jay's around the mechanic says Uh-Oh
instead of Cha-Ching.
Old March 1st 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:56:23 -0500, Bob Noel
wrote:

I've told my mechanics over and over that I do NOT want to hear "uh-oh"....

Mine sez... "Ahhh... Jeeez..."

Same meaning!
Old March 1st 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:42:42 -0800, wrote:
Do you have a 180hp or something that uses the cs prop?

Yes on both. Avcon conversion, O-360-A with a Hartzell.

For learning, how did they observe the horizontal stab spar cracks?
Looking in from where? Can you see them?

I have not had the time to visit the shop this week so I haven't seen
them myself, but my partner did go to the shop this morning. He said the
cracks are on the forward spar (the one that always cracks because people
push down on the tail). They are "hairline" cracks a little over 1"
long. He said he can understand why our regular IA did not spot them.
They are quite hard to see.

This is reportedly a known weak point in the Cessna design and Cessna
provides a repair kit that apparently prevents the need to replace the
spar. We will have to remove one of the skins to install the kit,
though, and that's a job that will need to be sent out. The plus is my
IA has been through this before and even has a shipping crate on standby
for this...he won't have to build one from scratch (thank God for small
miracles).

FYI, the new Cessnas have this kit installed at the factory, so the
chance of them failing in the same way is somewhat less.

The strange thing about this is we do NOT push down on the tail to move
this airplane as a matter of course. I can count on one hand the number
of times I've pushed on the tail in the 14 years we've owned it, and I've
put virtually all of my weight on the whole tail section and not the
horizontal stab.

I hope to have pictures of the cracks up on my site at some point when we
get the old parts back.

Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/
Old March 1st 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:23:04 -0600, Ross wrote:
I have a 172 with a 360 hp lycoming. Where are the cracks and how did he
find them? I have not heard of this.

See my response to Bill.

Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/
Old March 3rd 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Feb 29, 5:23 am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Edward A. Falk" wrote in ...

That's why I was taught to push down on the spine.

And why I was taught to always use the towbar. I haven't seen anyone push
down on a Cessna's tail in decades.

Vaughn

And that's why Cessna has installed retractable pull-out handlebars in
the sides of the fuselage, just in front of the tail, on some later
model 182's. I don't know if this was standard or an option, but my
neighbor's 1978 C182 has them and they're quite handy for turning the
plane around in a tight area. It does take both of us to push down on
the handlebars enough to raise the nosewheel off the ground since the
182 is such a noseheavy beast. Too bad they didn't have these
handlebars as standard equipment on all 172's and 182s from the
beginning.
Old March 6th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mar 4, 8:17 pm, Scott Skylane wrote:
Actually, that's an aftermarket mod, never was a factory option.

185s had them. Factory, I think.

For those that want to see the cracking spar, take off the two
fairing covers at the base of the fin. Four screws in each. With a
good flashlight, look forward from the rear of the airplane through
the big hole in the top of the middle of the stab and see the
lightening hole in the forward spar. Cracks will (hopefully not) be
seen radiating from that hole in a X fashion, diagonally upward and
downward. If you're really unlucky, there'll be four of them. With a
mirror, you can stand forward of the stab and get a good look, too. I
prefer that way, because I can then check the attach bolts through
that spar.

The OP should know that the SB says that cracks that do not reach
the spar flange radius can be stopdrilled and monitored. His mechanic
should take a close look at the SB again. The amount he flies, they
might go no farther.

I wonder how this airplane's previous owner moved the airplane. Or
has he had it since new? Has it had a lot of heavy, wet snow sitting
on it?

I once flew a 172 that handled all funny. When we got it home,
we opened thing up and found that spar cracked all the way through
both flanges. Only the skin was holding things together. I had one guy
hold one end of the stab still and I was able to move the other end up
and down an inch or two. Dangerous. And the wing strut lower attach
bolts had no nuts on them and were backing out. All this just after an
"annual." A drive-by annual, I think.

Dan
Old March 6th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl mcgruber

wrote in message
On Mar 4, 8:17 pm, Scott Skylane wrote:
Actually, that's an aftermarket mod, never was a factory option.

185s had them. Factory, I think.

Both 180s and 185s had them from the factory. BTW, Bud (BAS) passed last
year. GREAT guy.

"Curator" Skywagon 185

got a call from BDR FSS Kevin Clarke Piloting 36 August 23rd 07 07:52 PM
A call on 121.5 Dylan Smith Piloting 10 April 30th 07 09:52 AM
Tried to Call it "Runway 7" today... Jay Honeck Piloting 34 October 21st 05 05:24 PM
Just call me Han...... JIM105 Rotorcraft 7 November 5th 04 01:29 AM
Who do you call? Travis Marlatte Piloting 4 August 21st 03 08:16 AM