Any PIREPS: Fredericksburg, Texas area?

Old March 16th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Any PIREPS: Fredericksburg, Texas area?

On Mar 16, 11:05*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote :

On Mar 15, 2:23*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote in
@a23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Oh yeah and I've mispelled Fredericksburg throughout above.

Netkkkop

Bertie

And on myself no less!

How low can you get?

I'd better beat a retreat to my signle malt scotch and shaddup.

You mis-spelled single.

Bertie

You mean "misspelled" ...

Jeezuz -- I need counseling.
Old March 17th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 15, 5:51 pm, "Harry" wrote:

Someone else suggested flying up to Llano. As a frequent traveler to there,
I wholeheartedly concur. Cooper's is the best BBQ you will put your teeth
into in this part of the country (there are a lot of close seconds, but
Cooper's is the best).

Coopers is one of the "close seconds".

Nobody in Texas beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in Luling,
TX (just southeast of San Marcos)

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writ...=583&RefID=583

Luling even has a little airstrip (T91) a few miles north of town,
and there is supposed to be a taxicab service (Luling Cab
830-875-1222) in town so you might be able to get a ride from the
airport to go eat BBQ. I've only ever driven to Luling, and never yet
landed there in a plane and tried to call a cab yet, but plan to fly
there and see how that works sometime in the next few weeks for a BBQ
run.

There is an unrelated, commercialized BBQ place called "Luling City
Market" in Houston, that stole the name. Never ate there, but I think
they must be *******s for trying to capitalize on someone else's
famous name.

Old March 17th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 15, 8:50 pm, Dave S wrote:

If you make a whole day trip out of it, Id say "float the river" then
eat at the Grist Mill. Bring sunblock. Rockin R is an outfitter near the
Grist Mill and Gruene. I've used em before, and would again. In your
situation, its prolly the most convenient of the large outfitters.

You gotta be nuts to want to tube down the Guadalupe this time of
year. You'll freeze your balls off.
Wait until summer when the OAT is at least in the 90's and the water
temp coming out of the bottom of the Canyon Lake dam will at least be
up into the upper 50's degrees F.
Old March 17th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

wrote:

Coopers is one of the "close seconds".

Nobody in Texas beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in Luling,
TX (just southeast of San Marcos)

*Nobody* in Texas?

Hmmm...that's a bold claim.

The City Market is the best I've found, I'll say that much.

You're making me homesick. Barbeque in Alabama --or anywhere else I've had
it in the Deep South-- is a sad joke.

--
Dan

T-182T at 4R4

Old March 17th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 17, 1:16 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
wrote:
Coopers is one of the "close seconds".

Nobody in Texas beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in Luling,
TX (just southeast of San Marcos)

*Nobody* in Texas?

Hmmm...that's a bold claim.

Oops, you're right.... my bad....

I shouldn't have put the "in Texas" constraint on there. I've fixed it
now:

"Nobody (period) beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in
Luling, TX"

;-)

--
rm
(half German, half Irish -- ALL Texan)
Old March 18th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
Coopers is one of the "close seconds".

Nobody in Texas beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in Luling,
TX *(just southeast of San Marcos)

*Nobody* in Texas?

Hmmm...that's a bold claim.

Oops, you're right.... my bad....

I shouldn't have put the "in Texas" constraint on there. I've fixed it
now:

"Nobody (period) beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in
Luling, TX"

;-)

--
rm
(half German, half Irish -- ALL Texan)

Nah, it ain't top on my list. There's so much good BBQ in Texas it's
pretty much impossible to put one joint at the very top. Lots of times
the very best of the best will be at one tiny store on one particular
day (let's not delude ourselves: each day the meat is different and so
was the smoking process). I've had unbelievable BBQ at one place one
day and you go back a week later an it's only okay.

Its been awhile since I ate at City Market. But it wasn't tops then.
However this reminds me about it and I have to go try again.

Regarding the post above about T91 that airstrip is near abandoned. I
don't even know if there's a phone line out there. Not sure if even a
single soul flys out of there. Better have a cell phone and be patient!
Old March 18th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 17, 2:16 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
wrote:
Coopers is one of the "close seconds".

Nobody in Texas beats the BBQ of the original "City Market" in Luling,
TX (just southeast of San Marcos)

*Nobody* in Texas?

Hmmm...that's a bold claim.

The City Market is the best I've found, I'll say that much.

You're making me homesick. Barbeque in Alabama --or anywhere else I've had
it in the Deep South-- is a sad joke.

--
Dan

T-182T at 4R4

Surely you don't mean to impugn the honor of that wonderful concoction
known as Carolina BBQ???

Dan Mc