PowerFlarm at Uvalde?

Old August 8th 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Hoppe[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm at Uvalde?

I find it odd that there's no posts regarding the first-time use of
PowerFlarm in a US contest. Surely they're all flying with them.

Old August 9th 11, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob Cluxton

Dave Hoppe wrote:
I find it odd that there's no posts regarding the first-time use of

PowerFlarm in a US contest. Surely they're all flying with them.

It works well.

It does use up the batteries quickly though. 6 hours is about all I've
gotten out of it so far.
--
Rob
1K
Old August 9th 11, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

At 04:58 09 August 2011, Rob Cluxton wrote:

It works well.

It does use up the batteries quickly though. 6 hours is about all I've
gotten out of it so far.
--
Rob
1K

Which suggests it's a bit of a pig, 300 mA or there about. Can't say I'm
surprised. The manual is rather coy about this, says only that a 500 mA
fuse should be used.

Frank has posted a picture of his glare shield installation at
soaringcafe.com, have a look.

Reading the manual affirms the conservative wisdom of our RC guys. This
device is not a "drop in" installation on my ship, or maybe on yours: if
you have a portable on order, better read that manual and understand the
location requirements. "MIRA" would have led to a lot of frustration for
the unprepared. That said, a hearty thank you to Rex Mayes and all those
thoughtful donors who are making the rental program go, as well to all my
friends who've queued up to order. I look forward to the day we're
(nearly) all flying Flarm, voluntarily.

I have a brick on order, myself.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Old August 9th 11, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Hoppe[_2_]

On 8/8/2011 11:58 PM, Rob Cluxton wrote:
Dave wrote:
I find it odd that there's no posts regarding the first-time use of

PowerFlarm in a US contest. Surely they're all flying with them.

It works well.

It does use up the batteries quickly though. 6 hours is about all I've
gotten out of it so far.

I wonder if the threat density has any effect on battery consumption? It
will be interesting to see how these work in a club/recreational setting.
Old August 9th 11, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Of course, the best solution is to supply 12V power to the unit through the
RJ45 connector or round power connector.

Paul Remde

Old August 9th 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke[_4_]

On 08/09/2011 12:58 AM, Rob Cluxton wrote:
Dave wrote:
I find it odd that there's no posts regarding the first-time use of

PowerFlarm in a US contest. Surely they're all flying with them.

It works well.

It does use up the batteries quickly though. 6 hours is about all I've
gotten out of it so far.

Hi Rob,

I've heard there are issues with limited range (500meters) and
interference with both CAI and LX instruments.

Both my GPS antenas (LX and EW) are on my glare shield and do not
interfere with each other but from the reports I have heard I am
concerned that putting my PowerFlarm on the glare shield will not work.

Where are your GPS antenas located? 30cm away from GPS antennas AND the
compass is not realistic in most gliders...

Thanks for any info you may have,

Luke
Old August 9th 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

For what it’s worth, I had interference it seemed with a Flarm GPS
aerial too close to my Volkslogger. I then put the Flarm GPS aerial on my
headrest instead of the top of the instrument panel coaming, and that fixed
it. On my Flarm (small Swiss type, not PowerFlarm), the GPS aerial came
with a long lead so it was easy to do that.

Chris N

Old August 9th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 8/9/2011 1:01 PM, Luke wrote:
On 08/09/2011 12:58 AM, Rob Cluxton wrote:

Where are your GPS antenas located? 30cm away from GPS antennas AND the
compass is not realistic in most gliders...

How can the compass interfere with the GPS signal?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old August 9th 11, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke[_4_]

On 08/09/2011 4:59 PM, Chris Nicholas wrote:
For what it’s worth, I had interference it seemed with a Flarm GPS
aerial too close to my Volkslogger. I then put the Flarm GPS aerial on my
headrest instead of the top of the instrument panel coaming, and that fixed
it. On my Flarm (small Swiss type, not PowerFlarm), the GPS aerial came
with a long lead so it was easy to do that.

Chris N

I've heard there are issues with limited range (500meters) and
interference with both CAI and LX instruments.

Both my GPS antenas (LX and EW) are on my glare shield and do not
interfere with each other but from the reports I have heard I am
concerned that putting my PowerFlarm on the glare shield will not work.

Where are your GPS antenas located? 30cm away from GPS antennas AND the
compass is not realistic in most gliders...

Thanks for any info you may have,

Luke

Thanks Chris

PowerFLARM at Uvalde Paul Remde Soaring 19 August 1st 11 05:52 AM
Status PowerFLARM for USA Andrzej Kobus Soaring 0 May 17th 11 10:21 PM
PowerFlarm rentals Lee[_11_] Soaring 20 November 22nd 10 10:23 PM
PowerFLARM Paul Remde Soaring 9 November 6th 10 05:30 AM
PowerFLARM Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 6 November 2nd 10 10:32 AM