Who is responsible?

Old October 18th 11, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default Who is responsible?

Who is primarily responsible for my safety?
(choose one)
A. My supervisor
B. My boss
C. My club
D. My FBO
E. Contest Director
F. Contest Manager
G. Rules Committee
H. Soaring Society of America
I. Soaring Safety Foundation
J. FAA
K. NTSB
L. Me

I got to thinking about the safety responsibility issue, so I started
asking a few people. Got several of the above optipns, but the best
one was, "My husband, Jim",

Food for thought,
JJ
Old October 18th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Oct 18, 7:57*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:

but the best one was, "My husband, Jim",

I can say with some certainty that would not have been my answer

Maybe this is really a 2 part question:

1. Who cares most about my safety?
2. Who is responsible for my safety?

The answer may not be the same.

Andy
Old October 18th 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Oct 18, 9:23*am, Andy wrote:
On Oct 18, 7:57*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:

but the best one was, "My husband, Jim",

I can say with some certainty that would not have been my answer

Maybe this is really a 2 part question:

1. Who cares most about my safety?
2. Who is responsible for my safety?

The answer may not be the same.

Andy

Years ago I flew Point of the Mountain in Utah, back in my hang
gliding days. There was this hot pilot doing low lever aero and
general hot-dogging it a few hundred feet above launch. The only
"problem" was he was not wearing a helmet. After he top landed a few
of the locals went over to him and politely but firmly let him know
that helmets were required to fly there. He became very indignant and
somewhat verbally abusive to these guys and basically blew them off. I
was standing nearby after the guys walked away, I could hear him
muttering to himself sarcastically about how "nice" it was that
everyone was so concerned about his safety...........and blah blah
blah............anyways.........I do think he put a helmet on before
taking off again, which was a good thing, as before the day was over
he stuffed it in pretty good, taking out his control bar and whacking
his head pretty good.

My point................pretty sure the concern was not for this dudes
personal safety, but more for the preservation of the hang gliding
site.........pilots breaking site protocols are not
tolerated ........we are all free to choose what we want to do wrp to
safety, but when it jeopardizes our fellow pilots or by-standers, that
is another matter entirely.

Brad
Old October 18th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Logajan

JJ Sinclair wrote:
Who is primarily responsible for my safety?

Are you a private pilot, a student pilot, or a passenger?
Old October 18th 11, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 18, 10:57*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Who is primarily responsible for my safety?
* * (choose one)
A. My supervisor
B. My boss
C. My club
D. My FBO
E. Contest Director
F. Contest Manager
G. Rules Committee
H. Soaring Society of America
*I. Soaring Safety Foundation
J. FAA
K. NTSB
L. Me

I got to thinking about the safety responsibility issue, so I started
asking a few people. Got several of the above optipns, but the best
one was, "My husband, Jim",

Food for thought,
JJ

I work at Disney World, FL during the winter and their motto "Safety
Begins With Me" is everywhere and it is the only 'real' answer. Other
people can affect your safety while at a gliderport or contest by
permitting others to operate in an unsafe manner, but it all starts
with you. If the gliderport is operated unsafely, then you need to
find another place to fly.
Fred
Old October 18th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Oct 18, 7:57*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Who is primarily responsible for my safety?
* * (choose one)
A. My supervisor
B. My boss
C. My club
D. My FBO
E. Contest Director
F. Contest Manager
G. Rules Committee
H. Soaring Society of America
*I. Soaring Safety Foundation
J. FAA
K. NTSB
L. Me

I got to thinking about the safety responsibility issue, so I started
asking a few people. Got several of the above optipns, but the best
one was, "My husband, Jim",

Food for thought,
JJ

If it's not me I'm abdicating to people who can't possibly make
decisions for me in the moment when they are most needed. Everything
else is advice, much of it good advice, but advice nevertheless. I
recall a thread a couple of years back regarding accidental incursions
into Class A where some advocated for risking the structural integrity
of the airplane (fly over redline, shift focus away from flying to
twiddle with the radio to report in to controllers, etc.) in order to
comply strictly with FARs. That would be making the FAA more
responsible for my safety than I am. I can think of a similar example
for most every answer on JJ's list except the last one.

Was it a trick question?

9B
Old October 19th 11, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Oct 18, 7:57*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Who is primarily responsible for my safety?
* * (choose one)
A. My supervisor
B. My boss
C. My club
D. My FBO
E. Contest Director
F. Contest Manager
G. Rules Committee
H. Soaring Society of America
*I. Soaring Safety Foundation
J. FAA
K. NTSB
L. Me

I got to thinking about the safety responsibility issue, so I started
asking a few people. Got several of the above optipns, but the best
one was, "My husband, Jim",

Food for thought,
JJ

L. We are responsible for ourselves.

Flight manuals, military tech orders, have Notes, Cautions and
Warnings.
Notes are for information,
Cautions are to protect the airplane or components from breakage.
Warnings are to protect people, so you don't kill yourself or others.

We are told most cautions or warnings are there because someone broke
something or someone was hurt or killed.

Local rules at hang glider areas are there to protect the individual,
but also the group. And also to keep the area open to hang gliding.
Too many injuries or deaths that locals have to respond to bring in
outside intervention.

Same thing for glider club rules at airports, public or private. To
protect the individual and the group.
Besides, I'd rather be flying, then spending my time picking up broken
bodies and airplanes, and telling their families how we could not keep
their jerk of a relative safe.

Old October 19th 11, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Oct 18, 7:57*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Who is primarily responsible for my safety?
* * (choose one)
A. My supervisor
B. My boss
C. My club
D. My FBO
E. Contest Director
F. Contest Manager
G. Rules Committee
H. Soaring Society of America
*I. Soaring Safety Foundation
J. FAA
K. NTSB
L. Me

I got to thinking about the safety responsibility issue, so I started
asking a few people. Got several of the above optipns, but the best
one was, "My husband, Jim",

Food for thought,
JJ

It's all between a person's ears. Neuroscientists look at these sorts
of things. A recent article in Nature Neuroscience and also in
Science News Online, entitled "A mind for optimism - Reality checks
affect judgment more when prospects are rosier", discusses the concept
from scientists' viewpoints, with "data that suggests that brains with
sunny outlooks are particularly immune to undesirable
information" (such as you might get killed in a glider if you have
certain habits... resulting in the" It will never happen to me"
syndrome).

The article can be found at: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...d_for_optimism.
Pilots can debate safety ad nausium, but people are pretty much gonna
do what they are gonna do, whatever we say. Regardless, most of us
will continue to try to change others' habits towards being safer. It
would appear that so far this year too many glider pilots have had too
much optimism.

More food for thought.
Bob T.
Old October 19th 11, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas[_2_]

(L) please.

This is why it is called "Pilot In Command"

The other people/agencies/societies are there to protect the community
from the rogue PICs out there and to hopefully give us all an additional
helping hand.

Old October 19th 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Oct 18, 7:57*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Who is primarily responsible for my safety?
* * (choose one)
A. My supervisor
B. My boss
C. My club
D. My FBO
E. Contest Director
F. Contest Manager
G. Rules Committee
H. Soaring Society of America
*I. Soaring Safety Foundation
J. FAA
K. NTSB
L. Me

I got to thinking about the safety responsibility issue, so I started
asking a few people. Got several of the above optipns, but the best
one was, "My husband, Jim",

Food for thought,
JJ

Obviously Federal, State and local government and all the voters that
put our government into office since they are telling us how to live,
what to eat, see, feel and breathe. The list goes on.

Responsible Piloting Icebound Piloting 2 May 14th 05 04:18 AM
~~ The man responsible for Abu Ghraib ~~ WalterM140 Military Aviation 0 May 16th 04 11:42 AM