spins, c of a, & regs

Old November 20th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
crashdummy

Default spins, c of a, & regs

just a curiosity question: is anything wrong, illegal, or dangerous in
entering a c150 into a spin at 9,000' and holding full elevator to
maintain it down to 2000 before recovering since spins are often
prohibited at lower altitudes?

Old November 20th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_3_]

"crashdummy" wrote in message

just a curiosity question: is anything wrong, illegal, or dangerous in
entering a c150 into a spin at 9,000' and holding full elevator to maintain it
down to 2000 before recovering since spins are often prohibited at lower
altitudes?

First of all, is your Cessna 150 legal for spins? (It depends on how the rudder
AD was complied with on your plane)

Vaughn

Old November 20th 11, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
crashdummy

On 11/20/2011 02:26 PM, vaughn wrote:
wrote in message

just a curiosity question: is anything wrong, illegal, or dangerous in
entering a c150 into a spin at 9,000' and holding full elevator to maintain it
down to 2000 before recovering since spins are often prohibited at lower
altitudes?

First of all, is your Cessna 150 legal for spins? (It depends on how the rudder
AD was complied with on your plane)

Vaughn

I guess it was, it was a school plane in the early 60's.

Old November 21st 11, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

wrote in message

just a curiosity question: is anything wrong, illegal, or dangerous
in entering a c150 into a spin at 9,000' and holding full elevator
to maintain it down to 2000 before recovering since spins are often
prohibited at lower altitudes?

First of all, is your Cessna 150 legal for spins? (It depends on how
the rudder AD was complied with on your plane)

Vaughn

I guess it was, it was a school plane in the early 60's.

Unfortunately that rudder AD only came out a few years ago and affected
swept-tail C-150s and 152s even if they had previously been successfully
spun for years. Here is a news article on it:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-05-14_ad.asp

They had to fixed or placarded against spins. So if plane isn't placarded
against spins you can probably do it.

Here's a video of a C-152 being put into a 15 turn spin from 6000 to 3000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv7so42W-n0

Don't try spins without instruction on recovery.
Old November 21st 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
birdog[_2_]

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
In article ,
, crashdummy says...

just a curiosity question: is anything wrong, illegal, or dangerous in
entering a c150 into a spin at 9,000' and holding full elevator to
maintain it down to 2000 before recovering since spins are often
prohibited at lower altitudes?

Gee that sounds like fun! My spin instructors never liked spinning
*that* much. That said, only had two instructors that were into
teachign me spin recovery. It was not *manditory* when I did my PPL in
NZ - and don't believe it is still. However I think it's near essential
to learn - as well as a chitload of fun. I asked to do spin recovery
under the hood - which was a heap of fun too. And it was great to be
able to suceed in doing it.

Others have answered your questions about the plane - is it approved for
spinning etc. Only other comment is that it may not be that wise to
recover by 2,000'??? - I was always taught to recover by 3,000' AGL. I
guess that's really an instructor/club thing - and therefore where you
should direct your question.

You'll be spining with an instructor anyway right? (dual?). In NZ you'd
need to be approved for aerobatics (and that particular manoeuvre) to
spin solo.

--
Duncan.

Gee, how times have changed! In my formative days(late !940's) you didn't
solo until you were able to recover from spins in both directions. Before
the ppl, we did recovery from unusual attitudes, needle, ball and airspeed
navigation, all under the hood. And it was all fun!

Old November 21st 11, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
crashdummy

On 11/21/2011 10:02 AM, birdog wrote:
"Dave wrote in message
In ,
, crashdummy says...

[...]

And it was all useful! Mind you in all this time I never once entered a
single unintentional spin. The others were fun though, sorta breaking
the monotony :-)

The reason I asked the original Q was from watching an rv8 or Team-F1
spin recovery clip on utube and I noticed that recovery was always
withing a turn or two. That's very good of course, half a turn is even
better, but I just wondered if there might not be some seldom advertised
taboo about extended spins.

Old November 21st 11, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
crashdummy

wrote in message

just a curiosity question: is anything wrong, illegal, or dangerous
in entering a c150 into a spin at 9,000' and holding full elevator
to maintain it down to 2000 before recovering since spins are often
prohibited at lower altitudes?

First of all, is your Cessna 150 legal for spins? (It depends on how
the rudder AD was complied with on your plane)

Vaughn

I guess it was, it was a school plane in the early 60's.

Unfortunately that rudder AD only came out a few years ago and affected
swept-tail C-150s and 152s even if they had previously been successfully
spun for years. Here is a news article on it:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-05-14_ad.asp

Interesting article, I haven't read anything about 150's for decades!

I'll side with Cessna on the issue though because an agressively sought
prespin stall begins near 90 degrees nose up and CAN lead to a short
tailslide which could bend a rudder. Just a hunch..

They had to fixed or placarded against spins. So if plane isn't placarded
against spins you can probably do it.

Here's a video of a C-152 being put into a 15 turn spin from 6000 to 3000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv7so42W-n0

I'll just presume that the back seat is full of other 'students' :-)
Old November 21st 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
crashdummy

On 11/21/2011 08:02 AM, Dave Doe wrote:
In ,
, crashdummy says...

just a curiosity question: is anything wrong, illegal, or dangerous in
entering a c150 into a spin at 9,000' and holding full elevator to
maintain it down to 2000 before recovering since spins are often
prohibited at lower altitudes?

Gee that sounds like fun! My spin instructors never liked spinning
*that* much. That said, only had two instructors that were into
teachign me spin recovery. It was not *manditory* when I did my PPL in
NZ - and don't believe it is still. However I think it's near essential
to learn - as well as a chitload of fun. I asked to do spin recovery
under the hood - which was a heap of fun too. And it was great to be
able to suceed in doing it.

Instructors are weird breed. I asked mine while doing my LAST hour of
dual way back when "how do you loop a 150"?

So he went on ranting about the regs not permitting loops, the school
not permitting loops, cessna not permitting loops and then

"but I damm well know you're gonna try anyway so I might as well show you"

So needless to say I did tons of long spins and (slow) loops for what
seemed like years.

Others have answered your questions about the plane - is it approved for
spinning etc. Only other comment is that it may not be that wise to
recover by 2,000'??? - I was always taught to recover by 3,000' AGL. I
guess that's really an instructor/club thing - and therefore where you
should direct your question.

You'll be spining with an instructor anyway right? (dual?).

Not likely, haven't flown anything except a mig29 sim for 10 years now
:-))))

If I were filthy rich I'd probably move some real sky around in a su-26
or ea-300L though ..only on Sundays. Couldn't handle a real mig or such,
my kidneys would fall off the hinges.

Old November 21st 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george152

Dave Doe wrote:
In article ,
, crashdummy says...
[...]

That's pretty much how I learnt to recover from spins - by doing them.
Look up ZK-BCZ
And we also had recovery altitude at 3000...
Nowadays fully developed stalls recovery with minimum height loss appear
to be the norm

Skydiving and FAA regs Ricky Piloting 33 May 29th 09 07:23 PM
FAA regs. for minimum altitudes over built-up areas PPL-A (Canada) Piloting 16 October 16th 06 09:11 PM
De-certifying aircraft regs in Canada Fooman Home Built 2 December 8th 05 10:04 AM
Sport Light Aircraft regs Bill Daniels Soaring 13 July 22nd 04 07:02 PM
regs re flying outside the limitations of a plane...? Ron Natalie Piloting 0 July 9th 03 04:12 PM