Painting fiberglass Cobra trailer

Old January 18th 13, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Painting fiberglass Cobra trailer

On Jan 18, 3:25*pm, Charlie Papa wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2013 10:38:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,

* Can anyone recommend a paint type for the fiberglass top of the Cobra trailer? Looking to spray paint a couple coats of white paint followed by the clear coat.

Thanks,

GK

I went through these questions a couple of years ago. *I was sick for a season in Florida, and the pine pollen becomes mildew, which burrows down into the gel coat until wax wouldn't take it off. *So I started asking advice, and I got so many answers: 2 part poly, 2 part poly + clear coat, just mix 30% clear coat in with the poly, forget the poly and just use clear coat.

Then I phoned Tim Mara. *He suggested the Cyclo polisher (http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page44.htm), which I thought was rather pricey. *Tim promised I would not regret it. *I bought it and used it with Aqua Buff fibreglass buffing compound, - 90 minutes with the 1000 and 60 minutes with the 2000 (no longer available I believe), and then some Nu Finish car wax, and it looks ALMOST new.

And I have used this reciprocating buffer on other projects, let bursary kids at my club use it and other members, and all love it.

I suggest you talk to Tim at Wings and Wheels.

CP,

Thanks for the comment and reminder. Forgot to add the note about
mold. If the repaint is only about mold or mostly, try bleaching the
trailer with a dilute bleach solution then polish and wax. I like to
polish the finish with a polishing compound to remove any wax and open
the paint or gel coat up. Wash the surface with soap and water. Then
dilute bleach about 2:1 or 3:1 with water and spray it on the surface
with a spray bottle (use appropriate breathing protection and clothes
that you don't mind getting bleached). Let sit for about 30 minutes
and wash the surface thoroughly with soap and water. Will save a new
paint job if the goal is to cover up the mold color.
Old January 19th 13, 01:18 AM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

What about aerothane?
Old January 19th 13, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

I used 'Interlux Brightside Polyurethane' boat paint last year on an old Eberle glass top trailer and it worked great. Applies easily with a roller and flows very well leaving a very nice finish. Less than $100.00 per gallon.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...duct.do?pid=64

Mike

January 18, 2013 8:38:00 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a paint type for the fiberglass top of the Cobra trailer? Looking to spray paint a couple coats of white paint followed by the clear coat.

Thanks,

GK

Cheap Cobra Trailer Lights 1998 Trailer on E-bay USA ONLY! flyingmr2 Soaring 4 November 16th 10 03:11 AM
Komet trailer painting jim Soaring 2 March 9th 10 05:12 PM
Painting aluminum glider trailer John Murphy Soaring 17 April 25th 06 10:44 PM
Painting a Fiberglass Trailer Experiences ContestID67 Soaring 4 April 28th 05 07:40 PM
FS: Cobra Trailer Ed Byars Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 04:47 PM