Trailer hitch inadvertant disconnect

Old July 15th 04, 04:35 AM
Bill Daniels

Default Trailer hitch inadvertant disconnect

This is a fork of the Cobra trailer brake thread.

I encountered an unnerving situation a couple of weeks ago. I was backing
my Komet trailer into a new parking position near my house. This required
moving the trailer less than 15 feet slightly uphill. For such a short
move, I didn't think the .25" safety pin that keeps the hitch handle down
and locked was needed. I just attached the hitch to the ball and started
backing.

The lever popped up and the hitch jumped off the ball. The trailer rolled
forward into the back of my SUV doing damage to the rear bumper cover. The
hitch was tight on the ball and there is no detectable malfunction of the
hitch.

The damage is annoying but the real eye opener is that if the trailer surged
forward against the hitch as the towing vehicle braked, the same disconnect
would likely happen again if the safety pin were missing.

THE SAFETY PINS ARE REALLY NEEDED. Lesson learned.

Bill Daniels

Old July 15th 04, 03:17 PM
A. Spindelberger

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message news:8YmJc.82850$%_6.8300@attbi_s01...
[...]

Bill, I do not understand what you mean. Can you send a picture?
Thanks, A. Spindelberger

Old July 15th 04, 11:04 PM
Bela

(A. Spindelberger) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Bill,
I am not sure why you tied the Komet trailer problem to a Cobra
posting, but I did go out to look, my 3 year old Cobra does not have a
safety pin on the handle, however there is a hole in the handle and
one could rig up a safety cable. I wonder if Alfred would recommend
it.
Bela
Old July 16th 04, 12:58 AM
Doug Hoffman

Bela wrote:

my 3 year old Cobra does not have a
safety pin on the handle, however there is a hole in the handle and
one could rig up a safety cable.

My boat trailers and my current (homebuilt) trailer for my glider all have
holes that I use for the dual purposes of safety catch and anti-theft
deterrent. A padlock fits nicely in the hole. So, if I am staying in a
motel during transit with the glider and if someone wants to steal the
glider and trailer there is at least something there to make it harder. (I
know, if they *really* want it they'll get it anyway). I sleep better.

Regards,

-Doug

Old July 16th 04, 03:17 AM
Bill Daniels

"Bela" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bela, I realize that it's not directly related which is why I started a new
thread.

The hole is where I have always put a 1/4" pin, bolt or padlock that
prevents the hitch release from operating - at least until this incident.
Every trailer hitch I have seen has a similar hole for a retaining device.
A padlock is a very good idea since it serves two purposes.

I got an e-mail that suggested that I was using a 2 inch ball with a hitch
designed for a 50mm ball. The hitch is clearly stamped "use 2" ball" which
is what I was using.

Bill Daniels

Registering Trailer In California Brian Iten Soaring 11 July 2nd 04 06:21 AM
Trailer spare - who woulda thunk? Bill Daniels Soaring 7 May 20th 04 04:47 PM
FS Trailer Joseph L. Hyde Soaring 0 January 11th 04 06:39 PM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying - resolution chris Soaring 6 October 26th 03 04:50 PM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying chris Soaring 42 October 22nd 03 03:51 AM