Planning on becoming student pilot and buying a headset thisafternoon

Old January 2nd 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris L

Default Planning on becoming student pilot and buying a headset thisafternoon

What's the best for just a student pilot. Are there any tricks to
using them, keeping them safe, and pluging them in etc?

Thanks,
Chris Lusardi
Old January 2nd 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:16:27 -0800 (PST), Chris L wrote:

What's the best for just a student pilot. Are there any tricks to
using them, keeping them safe, and pluging them in etc?

You've got to tell us how far you plan to go in aviation.

If you plan to be a low time $100 hamburger pilot after you get your
certificate, you can get by with an inexpensive set.

If you plan to be a high time pilot, consider a more expensive comfortable
set you can wear for hours at a time.

--
Dallas
Old January 2nd 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris L

On Jan 2, 11:31*am, Dallas wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:16:27 -0800 (PST), Chris L wrote:
What's the best for just a student pilot. Are there any tricks to
using them, keeping them safe, and pluging them in etc?

You've got to tell us how far you plan to go in aviation.

If you plan to be a low time $100 hamburger pilot after you get your
certificate, you can get by with an inexpensive set.

If you plan to be a high time pilot, consider a more expensive comfortable
set you can wear for hours at a time.

--
Dallas

I have no definate plans, but anything can happen.

Chris Lusardi
Old January 2nd 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

I brought a pair into David Clark for repair. The Customer Service person
there told me not to wrap the cable around the headset (like everyone does)
when they're not in use. It puts too much strain on the end that goes into
the headset itself.

I like the DCs, partly because they're made ten miles from my house. Too bad
the best price I found them was from a California mailorder house. They
cross the country twice before they got plugged in.

Old January 2nd 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris L" wrote in message

What's the best for just a student pilot. Are there any tricks to
using them, keeping them safe, and pluging them in etc?

Thanks,
Chris Lusardi

Of all the headsets I've fixed, the David Clarks are built
the best. Some around here call them "David Clamps" because they're
bit tight.
I've never worked on Bose. The Lightspeeds seem to fall
apart way too soon.

Get ANR. It's well worth it.

Dan
Old January 2nd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cary

On Jan 2, 1:16*pm, Chris L wrote:
What's the best for just a student pilot. Are there any tricks to
using them, keeping them safe, and pluging them in etc?

Thanks,
Chris Lusardi

Chris,
Comfort in a headset if very important. I suggest you try on many
before you buy. Most FBOs will let you try (and use) before you buy.
Take advantage of this option, because I believe you will find that
the more confortable headsets are more pricey. Only after you know how
they feel on your head can you make a decision on whether the price is
worth the comfort level. For example, my Dave Clarks hurt my head
after just an hour or two of flying, but I can fly for more than 8
hours on a trip with my Bose and I don't even know I am wearing a
headset. For me the 3x greater cost of the Bose was worth the extra
money.

Cary
Old January 2nd 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The best headset on the market for a beginning student pilot is the
Raven XE from www.pilotessentials.com

See: http://www.pilotessentials.com/produ...iation_Headset

$79 and it's the same thing as a Lightspeed QFR Solo, it's just OEM'ed
for PilotEssentials.

It's got a two year warranty and will last every bit of that and
longer. I've got two sets of these for my passengers and they are
quiet, ruggedly made, and are surprisingly comfortable and light
weight for an inexpensive headset.
Old January 2nd 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 2, 11:48*am, "Steve Foley" wrote:
I brought a pair into David Clark for repair. The Customer Service person
there told me not to wrap the cable around the headset (like everyone does)
when they're not in use. It puts too much strain on the end that goes into
the headset itself.

I don't like the DC's because they feel very mechanical on your head
compared to the modern headsets. I learned long ago to wrap the cord
around the headset in such a way that you don't put any pressure on
the end that goes into the headset itself. You just need to allow
another 2 inches of cord before you start wrapping it.

-Robert
Old January 2nd 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:40:42 -0800 (PST), Chris L wrote:

I have no definate plans, but anything can happen.

Well, if you buy a nice $100 headset it will do nicely for your training.

Then if you go into it big time you can upgrade yourself and use the $100
set for your passenger.

How To Buy a Headset:
http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/2001/headsets.html

--
Dallas

New student pilot Richard Carpenter Piloting 23 September 12th 07 01:41 AM
Student Pilot needs advice on buying 172 Cessna mcannon Owning 2 September 5th 05 03:43 PM
Student Pilot at 50 TF Piloting 31 March 16th 04 12:58 AM
Another Frustrated Student Pilot OutofRudder Piloting 13 January 24th 04 02:20 AM
Student Pilot Patrick Piloting 1 August 7th 03 05:38 AM