What did it take to get a ticket in 1946?

Old January 18th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default What did it take to get a ticket in 1946?

I recently found my mother's name in the FAA registry as a PP-SEL.

I knew she had taken lessons and she had a Piper Cub solo certificate, but
I was unclear if she had gone all the way to the certificate. It's pretty
cool to find out your mother was a pilot.

I'm trying to envision what the program was like in 1946... I'm guessing
it was much simpler not having to deal with mountains of FARs, airspace,
electronic navigation or even radio.

Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?

--
Dallas
Old January 18th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DaveB

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:12:53 -0600, Dallas
wrote:

I recently found my mother's name in the FAA registry as a PP-SEL.

I knew she had taken lessons and she had a Piper Cub solo certificate, but
I was unclear if she had gone all the way to the certificate. It's pretty
cool to find out your mother was a pilot.

I'm trying to envision what the program was like in 1946... I'm guessing
it was much simpler not having to deal with mountains of FARs, airspace,
electronic navigation or even radio.

Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?

--
Dallas

Yeah.....find the airport on your own and start the plane.
Daveb
Old January 18th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Dallas wrote:
I recently found my mother's name in the FAA registry as a PP-SEL.

I knew she had taken lessons and she had a Piper Cub solo certificate, but
I was unclear if she had gone all the way to the certificate. It's pretty
cool to find out your mother was a pilot.

I'm trying to envision what the program was like in 1946... I'm guessing
it was much simpler not having to deal with mountains of FARs, airspace,
electronic navigation or even radio.

Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?

No, but I picked up a 1948 logbook at the
flea market and leafed through it. The only
difference I noted was spin training early
on.
Old January 18th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Dallas wrote:
I recently found my mother's name in the FAA registry as a PP-SEL.

I knew she had taken lessons and she had a Piper Cub solo
certificate, but I was unclear if she had gone all the way to the
certificate. It's pretty cool to find out your mother was a pilot.

I'm trying to envision what the program was like in 1946... I'm
guessing it was much simpler not having to deal with mountains of
FARs, airspace, electronic navigation or even radio.

Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?

No, but I picked up a 1948 logbook at the
flea market and leafed through it. The only
difference I noted was spin training early
on.

Yeah, much of the stuff students are learning nowadays is straight out of
the need for training pilots and lots of 'em for WW2.

if it ain't broke...

Bertie
Old January 18th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Dallas wrote:

Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?

I don't know what the exact requirements were, but I do know that it was
much simpler back then. An old friend of mine got his ticket in the late
'40s and he was surprised at the amount of book learnin' and flying I had to
do to get my ticket 40 yrs. later.

I remember looking at his logbook and seeing his first solo on the 4th
entry, after 3.5 hrs of instruction in an Ercoupe.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 18th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dallas wrote:

I recently found my mother's name in the FAA registry as a PP-SEL.

I knew she had taken lessons and she had a Piper Cub solo certificate, but
I was unclear if she had gone all the way to the certificate. It's pretty
cool to find out your mother was a pilot.

I'm trying to envision what the program was like in 1946... I'm guessing
it was much simpler not having to deal with mountains of FARs, airspace,
electronic navigation or even radio.

Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?

Take todays requirements.

Subtract anything to do with electronics and radios.

Subtract anything to do with airspace, ATC and IFR.

Add spin training.

Add hand proping.

That's pretty much it; there isn't much about flying airplanes that
has changed.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 18th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_13_]

I just looked at my father's log book ( a very treasured possession ) and he
got his private in 3 months with 27 hours in 1947.

John

Old January 19th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:25:04 GMT, wrote:

Subtract anything to do with airspace, ATC and IFR.

What about subtract most of the weather products? They didn't have
satellites and weather radar or the computers to distribute the
information.

Did they even have FSS?

--
Dallas
Old January 19th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

* I remember looking at his logbook and seeing his first solo on the 4th
entry, after 3.5 hrs of instruction in an Ercoupe.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

3.5 Hah! Can't beat that today. At some point back then the written
was only 25 true / false questions (according to Dick Collins on one
of his videos).

I must be a chicken-sheet. I don't think I'd WANT to solo at 3.5
hours. Could've with a gun at my head. But woudn't have otherwise. I
did at 12.5 and thought, "Hell, it won't be long before I've got that
certificate in the bag."

Wrong again. WRONG AGAIN.
Old January 19th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John[_2_]

wrote:

I recently found my mother's name in the FAA registry as a PP-SEL.

I knew she had taken lessons and she had a Piper Cub solo certificate, but
I was unclear if she had gone all the way to the certificate. It's pretty
cool to find out your mother was a pilot.

I'm trying to envision what the program was like in 1946... I'm guessing
it was much simpler not having to deal with mountains of FARs, airspace,
electronic navigation or even radio.

Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?

Dallas

In 1945 I was a Second Lt, Army Air Corps Pilot in RTU (Replacement
(Fighter) Training Unit) and a CAA rep came around and all of us who
wanted a Private License were given a 10 question test and then given
a Temp Certificate and regular license came in several weeks later.

You can't beat that. I of course later worked up to Commercial and
Instructor SMEL and Instruments with no poblems..

Oh for the good old days )

Big John

FA: TWA STARLINER~1946~Bound Volume~Trans World Airline~scarce [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 February 7th 07 10:45 PM
Wanted: Bulkhead for 1946 Navion A Continental E-225 A-Hall Restoration 0 June 6th 06 09:11 PM
WTB:135 Ticket AML Owning 1 May 24th 06 08:41 PM
FS: 1946 Aeronca 7BCM that Needs Recovering [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 29th 05 11:41 PM
Iran crisis 1946 and Yugoslavia Vic Flintham Military Aviation 1 December 13th 03 10:50 AM