Pic of the Airgizmo installation

Old December 3rd 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default Pic of the Airgizmo installation

150flivver wrote:
This has been an interesting discussion. I wonder why the Airgizmo
website has this on the bottom of the page:
All products on this site are intended for use on experimental
aircraft.
Installation in a production aircraft requires an FAA field approval.

That's a copout and legal mumbo jumbo. The fact is if a company doesn't
STC their product they lose any authority to tell you how to install it.
Old December 3rd 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

That is the crucial difference. The FAA deserves blame in a lot of
areas but not this one. Tell your mechanic to RTFM.

Actually, Newps, I know it's out of character for me to do so -- but
I'm *complimenting* the FAA on this one. (Well, the Des Moines FSDO,
anyway...)

They looked at a gray area, and made a real-life, common sense ruling
in favor of making the installation of an AirGizmo a logbook entry.
Kudos to whomever made the call!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 3rd 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

There's nothing gray about it.

The point some are trying to make is that it does not matter WHAT your
opinion is as the plane owner or what the opinion is of the installing
wrench. It does not matter what is contained in the ACs and other pubs
if the mechanics don't all agree. The fact that some immediately call
the FSDO shows they don't have a common understanding of what others
find so crystal clear. Those who say this is clear may be technically
correct. But, as a practical matter, that won't mean a hill of beans
when someone who has a different view starts a beef about it.

At some future time, after the plane is sold twice, or some inspector
hungry for a violation performs a ramp check 5 states over, you could
well be flagged on the install. A wrench who does not "get it" may well
flag it on a pre-buy as an improper install. The wrench who signed it
off cannot (and likely will not) stand behind you.

Was the thing hard wired into the plane for power? Or did the shop
simply tie wrap the power cable to the harness and snake it around the
front of the panel to go into the cig. lighter?

Mike
Old December 3rd 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

They looked at a gray area, and made a real-life, common sense ruling
in favor of making the installation of an AirGizmo a logbook entry.
Kudos to whomever made the call!

Yhe point I'm trying to make is it's not a gray area. It's not a
decision the FSDO should ever have been asked to make.
Old December 3rd 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Mike Spera wrote:

At some future time, after the plane is sold twice, or some inspector
hungry for a violation performs a ramp check 5 states over, you could
well be flagged on the install. A wrench who does not "get it" may well
flag it on a pre-buy as an improper install. The wrench who signed it
off cannot (and likely will not) stand behind you.

OK, take a ramp check as an example. Inspector comes up and doesn't
like the Gizmo. Looking thru the window he has no idea what process
happened to make that legal. He doesn't know if you just had a logbook
signoff or got a field approval. There's nothing he's going to do on
that ramp to stop you from flying today. If he wants further
documentation on the device he can make a request that you produce your
records. Whatever. It ain't going to happen today. And if he does
make that request the fact of the matter is the mechanic signed it off,
therefore it's legal. The FAA has to go thru quite a process to make
you remove that Gizmo. The fact of the matter hundreds of these are
being quite properly signed off with a logbook entry.

Was the thing hard wired into the plane for power? Or did the shop
simply tie wrap the power cable to the harness and snake it around the
front of the panel to go into the cig. lighter?

The power cord is irrelavant. I have an XM radio attached to the front
of my panel. I had my mechanic install a cig lighter up under the panel
so you couldn't see it. The XM is plugged into that. I would have just
hard wired the XM cord but it needs less voltage, 5 or 6 volts I think,
so you need the end of the original cord which is the voltage reducer.
I do have my 295 hardwired, although it is not in the panel, merely on
an arm attached to the back of my throw over yoke.
Old December 3rd 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

They looked at a gray area, and made a real-life, common sense ruling
in favor of making the installation of an AirGizmo a logbook entry.
Kudos to whomever made the call!

Yhe point I'm trying to make is it's not a gray area. It's not a
decision the FSDO should ever have been asked to make.

I get it! But, despite this, they made the *right* decision.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 3rd 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

That's just what a friend told me with his 180. He installed the Airgizmo
(great name), but then pulled it out in favor of the Propellerhead mount.
http://www.propellerheadpilot.com/Default.htm

Of course, the Skywagon crowd is pretty advanced in hangar queening their
airplanes.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...r_stc-c180.pdf

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Airgizmo mount is difficult to work with as well. It is way more
convenient to have the 3/496 in your hands for most operations.

I don't understand what you mean by this, Karl. Can you expand a bit?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

That's just what a friend told me with his 180. He installed the Airgizmo
(great name), but then pulled it out in favor of the Propellerhead mount.
http://www.propellerheadpilot.com/Default.htm

That's a slick-looking product -- I might have to move our Lowrance
Airmap 2000c onto one of those things.

I don't like the "remove it at the end of the day to save the suction
cup" thing, though. That would get old.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

It does get old. But then I find that I've been using my 396 for XM radio at
night. I love the old mystery radio shows.
Then I use the thing in "auto" mode........and drove Houston---Walla Walla
without a hitch. It did drive me off and on a couple of off ramps though.

Then I use it in my friends 46' Swan, and have a Bluechart chip from Olympia
to Alaska that has 1500 marine charts on it. I can't believe it's become by
main music/aviation/auto,marine data source.

Great technology.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
That's just what a friend told me with his 180. He installed the Airgizmo
(great name), but then pulled it out in favor of the Propellerhead mount.
http://www.propellerheadpilot.com/Default.htm

That's a slick-looking product -- I might have to move our Lowrance
Airmap 2000c onto one of those things.

I don't like the "remove it at the end of the day to save the suction
cup" thing, though. That would get old.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: AirGizmo PIREP, PS Engineering CD/Intercom woes, XM "service" Jay Honeck Owning 34 December 15th 06 03:02 AM
US ELT Installation mhr Soaring 57 December 31st 05 07:39 PM
magneto installation help Dick Home Built 5 February 10th 05 03:02 PM
Skycraft Landing Light Installation Pix Jay Honeck Owning 5 February 6th 05 02:05 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM