Flaps on take-off and landing

Old September 16th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Margy Natalie writes:

Not always, there have been cases of planes landing together after a
mid-air and many accidents happen on the ground also. I know a gentleman
who flew in WWII and tells a great story of his first mid-air where the
opponent removed half his wing. Listeners often ask how he managed to
get back to the field and he explains it was going just fine when he was
jumped again and had to dogfight with half a wing. He managed to get
back to base and flew for many, many years after.

In the old days, when planes were simple, slow, and relatively sturdy,
things were very different. When I read Lindbergh's account of his
New York-Paris flight and related stories, I was struck by how simple
aviation was in those days. No licenses, no navaids beyond a compass
or maybe a simple radio homing device, land anywhere it's flat, etc.
He used to fly by just looking down out the window, even in bad
weather. And his most famous flight was accomplished with a maritime
chart he found in a San Diego shop, a compass, and a watch.

Unfortunately, aviation is much more complicated, restrictive, and
expensive now, even for private pilots.

Not true. In most places not much has changed.

Old September 16th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Peter Duniho writes:

The attitude was that it was more important to get a physical box on the
shelves of Walmart than to have something *in* the box that was worthy of
being proud of making. That's just not an attitude I am capable of
condoning, or being associated with ...

All companies are like that today.

Not even close to being true.

Old September 16th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

You couldn't be more wrong. Back then, flying airplanes was
unaffordable for the vast majority of the population. Not the case
today.

I couldn't be more right. Flying airplanes was much more affordable
back then, as there was almost no overhead beyond the price of the
plane and some minimal maintenance. There were no licenses,
certificates, lessons, airport fees, regulations, terrorist hysteria,
etc., and fuel was cheap. Piloting was available to practically
anyone who wanted to try it. Flying real planes was similar to flying
hang gliders today. It was a hobby, mostly. Today it's a business,
mostly.

Old September 16th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Mxsmanic wrote:
Larry Dighera writes:

Personally, I chose to reside ten minutes from the airport, so the
drive is not too bad.

A good solution if you have the option. But most people are
constrained to live far from airports. The closest airport for me is
about 12 miles away, as the crow (er, aircraft) flies.

The ideal would be to live in one of those cool airparks where
everyone has a driveway in front and a taxiway out back, but how many
people can afford to do that?

Generally the air time used exceeds the minimum daily flight time the
FBO charges, so it's a non issue.

But what about the time the aircraft is on the ground, away from its
home base, over the course of the weekend?

You aren't getting it. If the FBO has a 2 hr. per day minimum and you
take the airplane for a week you are expected to put 14 hours flying
time on it. So, for example, if you want to take a week long jaunt you
can fly 4 hours the first day, 0 the second, 6 the third, 0 the fourth,
0the fifth, 2 the sixth and two the seventh. The plane sits like the
rental car.

You pay your 14 hours and you are good.

Margy

Or you fly two hours there, two hours back amd also pay for the 10 hours you
did not fly. That reimburses the FBO for possible lost revenue while you
have sole posession of the plane.

Allen

Old September 16th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

Only in simulation...

If you can walk away from it, it's acceptable.

Old September 16th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Margy Natalie writes:

You aren't getting it. If the FBO has a 2 hr. per day minimum and you
take the airplane for a week you are expected to put 14 hours flying
time on it. So, for example, if you want to take a week long jaunt you
can fly 4 hours the first day, 0 the second, 6 the third, 0 the fourth,
0the fifth, 2 the sixth and two the seventh. The plane sits like the
rental car.

You pay your 14 hours and you are good.

How much does it cost per hour?

Old September 16th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave Stadt writes:

Not true. In most places not much has changed.

Most places meaning where? Can I buy a plane for $30,000 and take it
up for a spin from the nearest strip with no further formalities?

Old September 16th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Chris W writes:

If you live anywhere near Oklahoma City, you are welcome to come over
and try mine. Just be warned if you do, you will never want to fly with
out it again.

I'm a couple of thousand miles away, alas!

I'm rather conservative with sims. I ran plain vanilla Flight
Simulator for fifteen years, without even a joystick. I bought a
joystick a week ago, for the first time. I've added a few airports
and some Dreamfleet and PMDG aircraft, but FS rapidly turns into a
fragile house of cards when you add things, and the framerates
plummet, especially during takeoff and landing when you need them
most.

Old September 16th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
"Jim Macklin" writes:

I still prefer to look out a real window and follow rivers
and streams. Roads and railroads are to straight.

What's wrong with being straight?

Not enough distinguishing features to make them useful landmarks.

Though, that said, they can still be quite useful if you are in an area with
only a few roads, or you already have a pretty good idea of where you are,
or you cross-reference a road or railroad or similar feature with some more
distinctive feature.

Pete

Old September 16th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Skylune,

You forgot: In the little planes - you fly!

In the little planes, you will waste at least $100K between the

training,
equipment, insurance, gas, etc.

Care to back up those numbers (which are completely bogus)?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

He is including the tax you paid on your car to get to the airport, the tax
you paid on the gas you put in your car, the tax that went to build the road
to the airport, the tax to build the runway, the tax you paid to lengthen
the runway, the cost of your plane, the tax you paid on your plane, the cost
of your biennial, the cost of your medical, the cost of...........whoa, this
IS expensive :-)

Allen