VFR position reporting

Old November 20th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default VFR position reporting

Thomas Borchert writes:

And the likelyhood of this what, based on which statistics? In other
words, are we talking about a real-world problem or something you made
up as a hypothetical scenario?

I like to keep safety on my side. You can do what you want.

Old November 20th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

You can file all of the position reports you want, or not- it won't make any
difference since you are not flying. The majority of planes registered in
the US are equipped with ELT's (look it up), which is why most pilots no
longer need to file position reports. The newer ELT's with GPS interface are
now detectable by SARSAT within the accuracy of the GPS signal.

Aircraft with plenty of fuel on board will often burst into flames
when they crash, so pilots who still have lots of fuel need not file
position reports.

Old November 20th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck

There is no requirement to use it, but (especially in busy airspace) we
use flight following religiously.

But isn't busy airspace more likely to turn you down?

Yes. Most of the time they don't, though.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 20th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Garret

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

There is no requirement to use it, but (especially in busy airspace) we
use flight following religiously.

But isn't busy airspace more likely to turn you down?

Yes. Most of the time they don't, though.

I beg to differ. I fly in the LA basin (my home base is VNY) all the
time and not once in over ten years of flying have I ever been denied
flight following here.

The only time I have been denied flight following was in the middle of
nowhere, returning to LA from Santa Fe. There were thunderstorms and
IFR flights were diverting all over the place.

rg
Old November 20th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Viperdoc[_3_]

As usual, the logic of your argument is flawless. I apologize. My main
computer crashed and I have been working off of my laptop, and I had
neglected to add you to the killfile. It won't happen again.

Old November 20th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Lee

I have filed perhaps three flight plans in the last few years. I use
flight following. My assumption is that you are in constant contact
with ATC and if a problem developed a quick call alerts them if you
need to land off airport.

Plus I have a 406 MHz PLB (GPS equipped) that provides acual location
to SAR organizations.

Ron Lee

Old November 20th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

I like to keep safety on my side.

Well, you're sitting in a room. That should do it, no reporting
necessary.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 20th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

Aircraft with plenty of fuel on board will often burst into flames
when they crash,

Oh? Factual support?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 20th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
randall g

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:08:01 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

I'm still not clear on the exact procedure for position reports if you
are flying VFR over long distances without flight following. To whom
do you report your position, and what information should it include?
Which positions do you report and how often?

Flying in southern British Columbia (outside the radar environment
around Vancouver-Victoria), I will use flight following if I am high
enough. This is not always practical (there are areas where 10500 feet
is too low) so I will call FSS whenever I come near another FSS or RCO
with a position report. I always file a flight plan. There is a lot of
remote territory around here.

randall g =%^) PPASEL+Night 1974 Cardinal RG
http://www.telemark.net/randallg
Lots of aerial photographs of British Columbia at:
http://www.telemark.net/randallg/photos.htm
Vancouver's famous Kat Kam: http://www.katkam.ca
Old November 20th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

You worry about VFR position reports yet you haven't gotten around to
learning how to use trim.

I know how to use trim.

You didn't a week or so ago.

You are playing a game that simulates flying.

As opposed to flying and behaving as if it were a game.

Some how your thought on my flying skills concern me not in the least.

I saw this article the other day and thought about you.
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/membe...icles/3582.cfm

Since I'm not a member, there's no point in giving me a link.

Sorry