Woodstock Glider

Old April 4th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Woodstock Glider

Hello

I have had my glider plans for approximatly 9 years now.
My question is, does anyone know the Airfoil used by the Woodstock
Glider?
NACA ###?

Thanks
Herbie
Old April 4th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Apr 4, 9:35 am, wrote:

NACA ###?

More likely Culver ####.

Ah, here it is: Culver 18%:

http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/aircraft.html

More than likely, the 18% is the thickness (T/C), nice and deep to
keep the spar simple and cheap.

Who's Irv Culver? Just the guy who was at the center of the design of
some of the hottest airplanes of the 20th century. The guy who gave
Kelly Johnson's "Skunk Works (R)" its name.

http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=58...chive=9/1/1999

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/aerona...orks/name.html

Thanks, Bob K.

Old April 5th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Irv also did the airfoils and structure analysis for the
record-setting Carbon Dragon and the very unique Windrose
(originally called the Extremely Easy). I had plans for both.
The WR struck me as a design of near genious for its simplicity
of construction (a 13 or 15 meter moldless composite
motorglider). Seems to me that any reported handling issues
should not be too hard to remedy. I sold my WR plans and am now
sorry that I did.

--
Regards,
Doug

Old April 7th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Guys

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no washout in this design is
there?
Old April 7th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 7, 12:38 pm, wrote:
Thanks Guys

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no washout in this design is
there?

Sorry, yet another question, are the Airfoil Data points freely
available?
Old April 7th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Apr 7, 9:50*am, wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no washout in this design is
there?

If there is, it will be shown in the plans. It might also be covered
in _Fundamentals of Sailplane Design_, but my copy is not handy.

Sorry, yet another question, are the Airfoil Data points freely
available?

Probably not. It's not at the UIUC site, so it's probably not freely
available. From what I've heard, it was a one-off profile (OK, two-off
if you count the substantial difference between the root and tip
shapes) that Irv did on a relatively casual basis.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old April 7th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

I believe the Woodstock has an aerodynamic twist that allows the tip
stall later (slower) then the root. I believe the airfoil was derived
from the Gother 549 (modified by Erv Culver) then it blends into USA
35B at the tip. I flew the prototype and it didn't have a tip stall.
JJ

Old April 8th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
Thanks Guys

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no washout in this design is
there?

I'm looking at the plans, and there is no Washout, that I can detect,
which is why I'm asking.
The spar cutouts are exactly the same relative position on all the
foil profiles, with no twisting.
I am also an Aerospace Engineer, been working mostly mechanical for
the last 8 years so my aerospace brain has cobwebs, but I do know how
to read a drawing, my guess is it was this way for ease of
construction.
I'll re-read the assembly manual again.
I scanned sheet one of the 13M drawings and have the foils now in a
DWG format.
What I'll do is use Pro/E to loft between foil 1 and 20, then insert
each foil from 1 to 20 at station, then generate cross sections at
each station to see if they all meet up.
Old April 8th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry, I just clued in on the aerodynamic twist.
The tip foil should stall later, right.
I got confused with the %18 vs %13, which is just the thickness and I
wouldn't have thought the difference would have been significant, but
if what Mr. Sinclair is saying, they are actually different foils then
there would be some form of washout. Thanks guys.

Herbie.
Old April 8th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Apr 7, 4:44 pm, wrote:
Sorry, I just clued in on the aerodynamic twist.
The tip foil should stall later, right.
I got confused with the %18 vs %13, which is just the thickness and
I wouldn't have thought the difference would have been significant,
but if what Mr. Sinclair is saying, they are actually different foils then
there would be some form of washout. Thanks guys.

Yup, that's the way I understand it - there's no angular difference
between the chord lines of the root and tip sections, but the profile
differences between the root and tip airfoils make the wing act as if
there are.

Here's a couple of pictures from the Les Sparks site that shows the
Woodstock wing profiles:

http://members.aol.com/lessparks/clint20.jpg

http://members.aol.com/woodglider/clint25t.jpg

It's kind of hard to see in the photos, but if you look closely you
can see that the profile goes from sort of flat-bottomed at the tip to
a deeper-bellied (for lack of a better term) section at the root.

Here's the home page for the site those photos are from:

http://members.aol.com/woodglider/index.htm

I haven't heard from Les for a while, I wonder what's up with his
project.

I scanned sheet one of the 13M drawings and have the foils
now in a DWG format.
What I'll do is use Pro/E to loft between foil 1 and 20, then insert
each foil from 1 to 20 at station, then generate cross sections at
each station to see if they all meet up.

That sounds like a good plan, that ought to work great. The main
gotcha, and you've probably already thought of this, is that old
blueprints tend to shrink and warp a bit as they age. Also, sometimes
scanners add their own scaling errors. So its possible to accumulate a
bunch of little errors that add up to something substantial. The plans
probably have some key dimensions that you can use to correct the
scaling of your DWGs; if you keep an eye on them you'll be fine.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Woodstock project FOR SALE MartyH Soaring 0 August 15th 07 08:30 PM
Woodstock spars MartyH Soaring 11 June 22nd 07 03:13 AM
Woodstock Plans [email protected] Soaring 4 August 10th 06 11:11 PM
Query on the Woodstock Stealth Pilot Soaring 3 July 25th 06 08:02 PM
Woodstock Plans F/S [email protected] Soaring 0 May 16th 05 10:06 PM