A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Where is the LX S80?

Old September 19th 14, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Where is the LX S80?

Supposed to be released in March 2014.
Looks like a direct competitor to the Butterfly vario.
Anyone actually have one?
Old September 19th 14, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, September 19, 2014 10:06:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Supposed to be released in March 2014.

Anyone actually have one?

I am told I should have some at the end of this month or first part of October. Most are sold but have a couple available.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 19th 14, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I wonder if it will have a similar vertical airmass indicator based on inertial reference that essentially eliminates horizontal gust induced energy changes like the Butterfly vario does. I am hoping there will be a dedicated indicator for this reading that can be directly compared to the "regular" vario indicator to help determine if that lift indication is due to a horizontal gust or not.

The specs make no mention of a magnetometer, only a gyro based system. Curious how this effects instantaneous wind calculations.
Old September 19th 14, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The specs make no mention of a magnetometer, only a gyro based system. Curious how this effects instantaneous wind calculations.

A careful reading of the literature on the S80 shows that a magnetic compass module is needed for instantaneous winds.
Old September 19th 14, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Friday, September 19, 2014 2:18:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:

A careful reading of the literature on the S80 shows that a magnetic compass module is needed for instantaneous winds.

That kind of suggests that the wind is really calculated from GPS/TAS/Heading, doesn't it?

On the Butterfly, wind is inertially derived and truly instantaneous - like 20 times per second. If you use iGlide you can see this in the thermal assistant: every second there is a proportional lift dot, in each lift dot is an instantaneous wind direction arrow, and (at least in nicely organized thermals) these point towards the center of the thermal.
Old October 8th 14, 05:05 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Oct 2011

The user's manual for the S80 is now available (http://www.lxnav.com/downloads/manua...ishVer0500.pdf) so hopefully it will be available in the U.S. soon.

I'm interested in one to replace my Cambridge LNAV/SNAV/vario combination, which will free up two instrument holes. I would like to see a few initial reports from users before pulling the trigger on purchasing.
Old October 8th 14, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:05:56 AM UTC-7, jherzog wrote:
The user's manual for the S80 is now available

(http://www.lxnav.com/downloads/manua...ishVer0500.pdf)

so hopefully it will be available in the U.S. soon.

I'm interested in one to replace my Cambridge LNAV/SNAV/vario

combination, which will free up two instrument holes. I would like to

see a few initial reports from users before pulling the trigger on

purchasing.

--

jherzog

I should have some LXNAV S80 vario systems in a couple of week. Since they are similar to the LXNAV V7 except for the software I would expect few problems.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 8th 14, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

What are the differences in the inertial nagivation systems between the Butterfly vario and the S80?

The LX literature was confusing on how wind calculations are made and it says in one place that the S80 makes continuous wind calculations on its own but in another place it says that the S80 requires the compass module to improve wind calculations.
Old October 9th 14, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:30:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
What are the differences in the inertial nagivation systems between the Butterfly vario and the S80?

The LX literature was confusing on how wind calculations are made and it says in one place that the S80 makes continuous wind calculations on its own but in another place it says that the S80 requires the compass module to improve wind calculations.

Where did you see that a compass module can be connected to a S80? I did not see that in the manual.

S80
Inertial platform 3 axis digital +-8g accelerometer, 3 gyroscopes (for inertial vario, AHRS and wind calculation)

The question about the difference between the butterfly and the S80 is probably proprietary information for both companies.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 9th 14, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:30:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:

There is no information in the manual about inertial vertical air mass movement nor inertially derived wind - the two most impressive things about the Butterfly (Air).

It looks like it does have a very nice Flarm display and flarm warnings - the two least impressive things about the Butterfly.