PIREP: Sporty's Air-Scan V

Old June 28th 04, 11:24 PM
Jay Honeck

Default PIREP: Sporty's Air-Scan V

When the Montgomery-Ward 8-band radio I've had since I was a kid finally
gave up the ghost last month, we were left without Unicom playing in our
hotel lobby.

Since we are an aviation-theme, fly-in hotel, this was unacceptable -- we
quite often listen for fly-in guests, so we can have the courtesy van on the
ramp when they land. So, I pressed my ICOM hand-held into service.

This, too, proved unacceptable, however, since I needed the ICOM as a
back-up radio in the plane. Having experienced two com failures since
learning to fly almost ten years ago, I take this radio seriously.

Casting around for alternatives, I couldn't help but see the Sporty's
airband radio that was being advertised incessantly in every aviation
magazine. It looked slick, and the "aviation interrupt" feature sounded
intriguing. Best of all, at "just" a hundred aviation monetary units, the
price was even right (I think I paid about that for my Monkey-Ward radio 30
years ago!).

So, I ordered one.

The first thing I got was a post-card from Sporty's, announcing that the
radio was back-ordered. Who says advertising doesn't work?

A few days ago (almost a month after I ordered it) the radio finally
arrived. Completely ignoring the instructions (who has time for those?), I
extended the antenna, set the thing up, and started playing Unicom.

The first thing I noticed was how weak Unicom sounded. I could get a great
carrier wave, but the voices were very weak -- even when the planes were
visible just 100 yards away. Looking all over the radio, I noted the
attachment for an external coax antenna, and started thinking cynically
about how Sportys was making sure that I needed to buy this extra
attachment.

The AM and FM bands sounded great, however, so I figured SOMETHING else must
be wrong with the damned thing. Even planes flying directly overhead could
*barely* be heard.

Digging the box out of the garbage in anticipation of returning the radio to
Sporty's, a turned it upside down -- and out fell a little rubber ducky coax
antenna! With the lightbulb finally lit, I screwed it on the back -- and
wow! Suddenly I was hearing Cedar Rapids approach and everyone for 25 miles
around. Duh.

Checking the instructions thoroughly now (to see what else I might be
missing), I found no major reference to this antenna! Only in the "small
print" did I finally find a mention of it -- and it clearly makes a huge
difference. I wonder why they just didn't use the same antenna as the AM
and FM bands, like my old 8-band radio did? Jim -- any ideas? Why the
extra antenna on a receive-only unit?

Anyway, with this antenna, the radio is everything I wanted, and more. I
can listen to NPR or music in my office, while the radio is constantly
scanning five pre-set aviation frequencies. Whenever someone transmits on
those freqs, the radio interrupts, and then gradually fades back into the
show after the transmissions cease. It's great!

Programming is simple and easy, the push-button and dial controls are solid
feeling, and it's a nice, compact size that fits on a shelf. All in all,
it's everything they said it was, and more!

We'll see if it's still playing in 30 years!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 28th 04, 11:58 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Jay Honeck wrote:

Programming is simple and easy, the push-button and dial controls are solid
feeling, and it's a nice, compact size that fits on a shelf. All in all,
it's everything they said it was, and more!

We'll see if it's still playing in 30 years!

Does it have a wall-wart? If so, whats the voltage output? Just
curious... Thanks...
Old June 29th 04, 12:46 AM
Ray

I wonder why they just didn't use the same antenna as the AM
and FM bands, like my old 8-band radio did? Jim -- any ideas? Why the
extra antenna on a receive-only unit?

Well, first of all, the AM and FM bands don't use the same antenna - the AM
antenna is probably built inside of the radio. The FM and airband
frequencies are close, but still an antenna optimized for air band would
need to be a slightly different length than an FM antenna. Finally, using
the same antenna to simultaneously listen to one frequency and scan through
a list of other frequencies, while possible, is not easy. It is much
simpler to just use two antennas.

- Ray

Old June 29th 04, 01:22 AM
Casey Wilson

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
newsU0Ec.131169$Sw.28389@attbi_s51...

some snippage involved

Anyway, with this antenna, the radio is everything I wanted, and more. I
can listen to NPR or music in my office, while the radio is constantly
scanning five pre-set aviation frequencies. Whenever someone transmits on
those freqs, the radio interrupts, and then gradually fades back into the
show after the transmissions cease. It's great!

What you are describing there is 'attack' and 'decay' time. Is the
attack fast enough so you don't miss the first word or a half transmitted
over the air-band? I presume the decay, returning to entertainment band,
starts when the carrier disappears.
Thanks for the PIREP, Jay.
Say, I looked at the photos related to the AOPA article about the Inn.
Using the photo how about giving me progressive taxi instructions to find
you. [Presume I can hop ditches.]

Tailwinds,

Casey

Old June 29th 04, 04:30 AM
Jay Honeck

What you are describing there is 'attack' and 'decay' time. Is the
attack fast enough so you don't miss the first word or a half transmitted
over the air-band?

Yes -- it's amazingly quick.

Say, I looked at the photos related to the AOPA article about the

Inn.
Using the photo how about giving me progressive taxi instructions to find
you. [Presume I can hop ditches.]

Yeah, our 5-year plan is to add a restaurant, with taxi access. (Right now
you'd need a Sherpa!) We've received preliminary permission for just that,
but -- given my very public anti-city council position, and the chance that
they will be taking direct control of the airport in the near future -- I'd
say my chances of pulling that through a future council are slim...

:-)

Also, there are over 50 restaurants within one mile of the inn. That make
attracting another one difficult, to say the least.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 29th 04, 07:17 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote
:-)

Also, there are over 50 restaurants within one mile of the inn. That make
attracting another one difficult, to say the least.
--
Jay Honeck

Just do one, using the best angus, with it hung and aged, on the premises,
so you can insure the quality.

Our last true beef restaurant closed, and now, the best is at home. What a
shame.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old June 29th 04, 03:07 PM
Jay Honeck

Does it have a wall-wart?

Is that some distant relative of Wal-Mart?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 29th 04, 04:02 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Does it have a wall-wart?

Is that some distant relative of Wal-Mart?

No, that's a defect left by an incompetent plasterer. :-)

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 29th 04, 05:31 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Jay Honeck wrote:
Does it have a wall-wart?

Is that some distant relative of Wal-Mart?

;-)

Does it have a power cord or a wall socket power supply adapter? Thanks...
Old June 29th 04, 06:20 PM
AES/newspost

Jay Honeck wrote:

Programming is simple and easy, the push-button and dial controls are solid
feeling, and it's a nice, compact size that fits on a shelf. All in all,
it's everything they said it was, and more!

Does it have some number of user programmable/pushbutton selectable AM
and FM stations, in addition to the five air bands?

(Sorry, I haven't found a clear statement on this point -- clear to me
anyway -- from a quick look at the online description at Sporty's web
page.)

(PIREP, long) Cherokee 180 from Bay Area to Bishop, CA Dave Jacobowitz Piloting 15 June 24th 04 12:11 AM
Sporty's Videos Chuck Piloting 1 March 6th 04 08:30 AM
FS:Handheld Com-Nav Sportys JD-200 Joe Simmers Aviation Marketplace 1 October 28th 03 03:07 PM
Request for comments on Sporty's handheld TripFarmer Piloting 0 October 15th 03 10:34 PM
It's guaranteed MichaelR Home Built 2 September 2nd 03 03:00 AM