Bob Hoover

Old March 10th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Bob Hoover

Jay Honeck wrote:
I'll give ya a nickel if this doesn't knock your socks off.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vQpVI_aldB0&search=aircraft

Am I just goofy, or is there no way to save a copy of this video from
the "You Tube" website?

Guess you're not supposed to..

But try http://youtube.com/get_video\?video_id\=9ZBcapxGHjE

Jo
Old March 11th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Johannes Deisenhofer wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

I'll give ya a nickel if this doesn't knock your socks off.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vQpVI_aldB0&search=aircraft

Am I just goofy, or is there no way to save a copy of this video from
the "You Tube" website?

Guess you're not supposed to..

But try http://youtube.com/get_video\?video_id\=9ZBcapxGHjE

Sorry, this does only work on a unix command line.

Try this for your browser:

Old March 11th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in news:1142031981.548827.77600
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I'll give ya a nickel if this doesn't knock your socks off.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vQpVI_aldB0&search=aircraft

Am I just goofy, or is there no way to save a copy of this video from
the "You Tube" website?

What I do is examine my browser cache while the SWF file is loading.
It's easy to see which file it is as, if you are doing nothing else
online, it's the only fiel getting bigger. Then, just copy it out
of the cache and save it as whatever file name you like. I do it all
the time.

BTW, it also helps if you sort the file listing by most recent files
modified first.

BTW #2, the browser cache is usually tucked away in a hidden directory.

For example, on my NS7.1 on W2k, the path happens to be:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles
\default\1kufj97b.slt\Cache

Application Data is a hidden directory. I see it because I've
set myself up to see ALL friggen' files.

The funky pathname just before Cache will likely be different for
every installation.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old March 11th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I saw Bob fly is Shrike at an air show in Quonset Rhode Island in the mid
70s.
That was the first air show I had flown in to after getting my certificate.
BT

"rps" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm pretty sure I saw him do the Shrike 2-engines-out routine in the
mid '90s just before the FAA revoked his medical.

Old March 11th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message
What I do is examine my browser cache while the SWF file is loading.
It's easy to see which file it is as, if you are doing nothing else
online, it's the only fiel getting bigger. Then, just copy it out
of the cache and save it as whatever file name you like. I do it all
the time.

Another way to grab the file is to view the HTML source and find the
reference to the file, then create a dummy HTML document with a link to that
document (it'll read something like a href="[link]"click here/a, where
[link] is replaced by the actual link). In IE, you don't even need a valid
HTML header or anything...just put the link, and it'll display correctly.
Then you can right-click and use "Save Target As..." to save the file.

It's a little messier in that you have to create the dummy HTML document,
and of course you have to be willing to find the file link in the original
HTML source, but it's easier in the sense that you don't have to go browsing
around in your temporary files to find the file itself (which, on my
computers anyway, gets to be a pain because of the number of files in the
directory). It also doesn't rely on remembering different techniques for
different browsers. Any decent browser will have an option to save what a
link points to instead of navigating to it.

If one does want to simply copy from the temporary files directory, the
easiest way in IE to get to the directory is through the Internet Options
dialog. Click on the temporary files settings, then the "View Files..."
button (in IE7, they've rearranged this a bit, and for some reason the
proper button is called "View Trusted Files...", but it does the same
thing).

The advantage of doing it that way is that Windows Explorer consolidates all
your temporary files into a single display window, so you don't have to go
looking for the actual temporary files folder in which the file is stored.

I haven't looked to see if Firefox has a similar shortcut to the browser
cache. It might.

Pete

Old March 11th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Johannes Deisenhofer" wrote in message
Johannes Deisenhofer wrote:

Sorry, this does only work on a unix command line.

Try this for your browser:

http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id=9ZBcapxGHjE

And save it as what kind of file? SWF?

Old March 11th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
What I do is examine my browser cache while the SWF file is loading.
It's easy to see which file it is as, if you are doing nothing else
online, it's the only fiel getting bigger. Then, just copy it out
of the cache and save it as whatever file name you like. I do it all
the time.

Another way to grab the file is to view the HTML source and find the
reference to the file, then create a dummy HTML document with a link to
that document (it'll read something like a href="[link]"click
here/a, where [link] is replaced by the actual link). In IE, you
don't even need a valid HTML header or anything...just put the link, and
it'll display correctly. Then you can right-click and use "Save Target
As..." to save the file.

Snipola

Oh yes. I've done that too. I suggest then using my method of cache
hunting only when the page source option doesn't work, like when
everything is run through java script.

Old March 11th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message
Oh yes. I've done that too. I suggest then using my method of cache
hunting only when the page source option doesn't work, like when
everything is run through java script.

And for the record, I have found that even when the page is run as
Javascript, the actual link to the file is question is still accessible
somewhere in the Javascript. Occasionally, it's a relative path, but in
that case it's usually easy to determine what it's relative to (usually the
main URL for the page).

I am always amused when I find a page that has made attempts to obfuscate
the original data link. Sometimes it involves disabling right-click as
well, or some other clumsy means. But since the content is always in the
cache somewhere, the user is always able to get a copy.

First (and IMHO only) rule of securing data: any data sent to a potential
attacker is impossible to secure. If you want it secured, you need to not
send it.

Pete

Old March 11th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck"
Am I just goofy, or is there no way to save a copy of this video from
the "You Tube" website?

Hum... it seems to be a Macromedia Flash Player file which complicates
things a little.

Dallas

Old March 11th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dallas" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jay Honeck"
Am I just goofy, or is there no way to save a copy of this video from
the "You Tube" website?

Hum... it seems to be a Macromedia Flash Player file which complicates
things a little.

Dallas

Yep. It means I won't be seeing it.
--
Jim in NC

Is BOB HOOVER still alive???? aviation buff Piloting 12 March 21st 17 01:32 PM
Hoover Dam Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 March 2nd 05 06:20 AM
Bob Hoover and Chuck Yeager at the Soaring Convention? [email protected] Soaring 1 January 3rd 05 03:49 AM
Interview with (aviation legend) Bob Hoover Paul Lips Owning 15 October 10th 04 02:30 PM
Loss of Doolittle Raider Travis Hoover. Krztalizer Military Aviation 3 January 21st 04 05:38 AM