Smart Phone Software

Old December 11th 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Smart Phone Software

What have you guys found to be the best "flight computer" app for a smart phone or tablet? Ive tried using iGlide for the iPhone (basic version), but it doesn't seem to have the functionality of a true flight computer where you can input a task, turn points, etc. Do I just need to upgrade to the next version, or are there better options out there? I'm also considering using an iPad for a digital display, but again am wondering what software to use.
Old December 11th 18, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 4:57:27 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
What have you guys found to be the best "flight computer" app for a smart phone or tablet? Ive tried using iGlide for the iPhone (basic version), but it doesn't seem to have the functionality of a true flight computer where you can input a task, turn points, etc. Do I just need to upgrade to the next version, or are there better options out there? I'm also considering using an iPad for a digital display, but again am wondering what software to use.

TOP HAT
Old December 11th 18, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 2:57:27 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
What have you guys found to be the best "flight computer" app for a smart phone or tablet? Ive tried using iGlide for the iPhone (basic version), but it doesn't seem to have the functionality of a true flight computer where you can input a task, turn points, etc. Do I just need to upgrade to the next version, or are there better options out there? I'm also considering using an iPad for a digital display, but again am wondering what software to use.

XCSoar and Top Hat are GREAT free Android apps that allow tasks, turnpoints and glide caculations based on McCready theory, etc. Connecting to a smart vario allow 2 way communication between the vario and app. Android phones that were flagships one or two generation ago can be purchased for under $200.00.

Mike
Old December 11th 18, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 4:57:27 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
What have you guys found to be the best "flight computer" app for a smart phone or tablet? Ive tried using iGlide for the iPhone (basic version), but it doesn't seem to have the functionality of a true flight computer where you can input a task, turn points, etc. Do I just need to upgrade to the next version, or are there better options out there? I'm also considering using an iPad for a digital display, but again am wondering what software to use.

Yes, you need to upgrade to unlock these features.
Old December 12th 18, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

Agreed. Top Hat is the best glide computer app that I have used. XCSoar is a strong second (I know top hat is based on XCSoar but they have their differences)
Old December 12th 18, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 1:57:27 PM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
What have you guys found to be the best "flight computer" app for a smart phone or tablet? Ive tried using iGlide for the iPhone (basic version), but it doesn't seem to have the functionality of a true flight computer where you can input a task, turn points, etc. Do I just need to upgrade to the next version, or are there better options out there? I'm also considering using an iPad for a digital display, but again am wondering what software to use.

You need at least the advanced version of iGlide to to tasks and routing, and the Pro version if you want all the turnpoint and statistic features. It is then a fully featured flight computer. I have, and have flown with, XCSoar, SYM, iGlide, Winpilot, Winpilot Live for iOS, and a few others. I prefer iGlide as it has a modern UI. I've not tried Tophat, but had it demonstrated to me - it looks pretty much like a skin on XCSoar.
Old December 12th 18, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Van de Velde

You can also get a cheap Android tablet with built-in GPS like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a tablet with BT connection to my LXNAV S100. Not sure why I'd pay the extra $3,000 to get a full built-in LX90X0 system. You can also pair your Android device with a Nano if you like a certified logger and more reliable GPS source.

Old December 12th 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 12:29:38 PM UTC-8, Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
[...]

Oh God, I would pay $3,000 just not to deal with the Android operating system. Kind of kidding, but one pays the big bucks for full integration and a true flight management system (for a glider). I have flown birds with a full LX90X0 with flap position sensor, flux compass, water ballast dump sensor, wifi, weather and a radio link so you could control radio from computer.. All this information on the computer screen, even controlling screen of S80 and computer with this setup it is HOSAT, or HOSAF.
Old December 12th 18, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Van de Velde

All of those things are either available through the S100 or your Android device The S100 has water and flap sensor inputs and can connect directly to my Trig radio for frequency setting. XCSoar has bi-directional integration with the S100 so you can set McReady, tasks, radio, etc. from your Android while getting the S100's flight and FLARM data. I do envy the weather integration overlay though. Hopefully the XCSoar and SkySight teams make progress on building their own integration. For now, I can access Skysight directly on my phone. On the plus, I do get a higher resolution screen with a tablet and find it more convenient to manipulate when mounted near my mice boom, where sunlight is a non-issue. I also find touch more convenient than fiddling with dial knobs and buttons. Not bad for $2,000.
Old December 13th 18, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Give LK8000 a peek. Beats XCSoar and TopHat.