Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 18th 05, 04:14 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:AkF8e.24672$Bb3.14584@attbi_s22...
How else
do you explain the fact that medical bills are a leading cause of
bankruptcies in this country?

You have pointed out something that needs to be addressed: It's all about
personal responsibility.

Check out AFLAC insurance. It's affordable, very specific, and for the
cost of a cable TV subscription will cover someone quite adequately in the
event of a catastrophic illness or injury -- the kind that most often

drives
a person into bankruptcy.

My company provides insurance (AFLAC is the underwriter, Guardian is the
issuer...I think) and split the cost for our 14 employees who pay roughly
$90-110 a month for $250K catastrophic coverage and limited medical
coverage.

No, it doesn't cover hangnails and every little gripe, but when one of my
supervisors fractured an ankle, his costs were $500 for treatment and
therapy.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old April 18th 05, 04:39 AM
Dave Stadt

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"Dave Stadt" writes:

"Dave Stadt" writes:

make me number three.

Well, most people respond in kind to how they're treated. No doubt
they found you disgusting first.

I don't remember you being there. No doubt they were being French.

Awww, Dave, I knew you couldn't stay away. A fake plonk after all, eh?
;-)=

I am afraid you made a left turn. My keyboard has never uttered the word
"plonk."

Old April 18th 05, 04:51 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I own and operate a hotel in a city that is home to a world-class
university, with 35,000 under- and post-graduate students, and 15,000
faculty members and staff.

World class university? Ha! The Ohio State University has more than 15,000
people employed, just to clean the toilets! VBG
--
Jim in NC

Old April 18th 05, 04:58 AM
Jay Honeck

World class university? Ha! The Ohio State University has more than
15,000
people employed, just to clean the toilets! VBG

Hey -- we've seen those Ohio State fans (mostly alumnus) at the hotel during
football season!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 18th 05, 06:32 AM
Toņo

Bob Fry wrote:
"William W. Plummer" writes:

Peter Duniho wrote:

[snip]

Your message is offensive. MYOB.

Peter's message was thoughtful and on target, and while he sure
doesn't need me to defend him, I do anyway. Calling out a poster who
regularly stereotypes and disparages entire nations and continents is
very much all of our business.

I feel compelled to enter my agreement with Bob and Peter. Peter may
have gone a tiny bit too far in his rebuttal, but I think he was right
on target with his sentiments and perceptions.

Keep in mind though that there is a difference between "racism",
"bigotry", "politically incorrect" and "insensitive".

*French* is not a race. It is a nationality. Therefore the comment/s
would not be racist.

The word "bigot" (which, ironically, is derived from French) means "a
person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions
and prejudices". ( Merriam-Webster ) Therefore the comment about
"dunderheads" would not intrinsically be bigoted unless he was decidedly
adamant about it.

However, "politically incorrect" and "insensitive" are certainly
candidates for discussion if we should wish to splinter off away from
the topic of aviation.

Antonio
Old April 18th 05, 12:23 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Chris wrote:
Reminds me of the time I was on vacation and passing through Utah. A
waitress in the delightful little town of Torrey said "you have strange
English accents, say where are you folks from?" "England", we replied.
"What state is that in?" she asked. We just smiled. Any further explanation
was going to be a mite challenging.

Don't worry - I got asked on two separate occasions whether English is
spoken in England, or "whether it's just an accent y'all have". I also
find the "Well is there an Isle of Woman" question gets rather old
rather quick, but I can forgive that - most people in the Isle of Man
haven't heard of Rhode Island so I'd hardly expect them to have heard of
our windswept rock in the Irish Sea.

In any case -- actaully visiting (to live) places strips away much of
the ignorant stereotypes we often harbour - I soon learned that the
United States didn't even remotely fit the stereotypes we normally hold
here (or that are promoted by Hollywood, which seems to believe the US
consists of Los Angeles and perhaps NY and Chicago if they are feeling
generous). I've been to 26 states in the US and it doesn't take long to
realise there's one thing you can't do and that is generalize.

I decided to leave the US not because I didn't like it (I like it a lot
and visit frequently - and I was easily better paid in the US) but because
there are things *other* than the cost of avgas that makes me choose
where I live.

Oh, and France is a beautiful country too, and the Anglo-American
stereotype of the French is also in most cases couldn't be more wrong.
Just because French society has different values to the US doesn't make
them "dunderheaded" either.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old April 18th 05, 12:58 PM
Dylan Smith

In article E_E8e.23627$8Z6.14028@attbi_s21, Jay Honeck wrote:
In my experience, networking has very little to do with luck.

Sometimes it does. My last two jobs were got through 'networking' - I
just happened to meet the right people. One was a member of the flying
club. The other the CFI of the glider club. It just so happened I was
the person they were looking for.

Never underestimate the power of 'networking'.

But as for much of my fortunes - yes, they are mostly the product of
luck. I didn't have any control over my birth - it was certainly
fortunate that being born into a middle class British family means I was
born into the world's richest 10%. The vast majority of the world
doesn't have it anywhere as easy.

Old April 18th 05, 01:04 PM
Jay Honeck

But as for much of my fortunes - yes, they are mostly the product of
luck. I didn't have any control over my birth - it was certainly
fortunate that being born into a middle class British family means I was
born into the world's richest 10%. The vast majority of the world
doesn't have it anywhere as easy.

That's for sure. If any of us have luck on our side, it's surely those of
us who were fortunate enough to be born in the "Western world."
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 18th 05, 01:05 PM
Jay Honeck

Just because French society has different values to the US doesn't make
them "dunderheaded" either.

Call it what you will. Anyone -- French, British, or Martian -- dumb enough
to tax avgas up to $7.50 per gallon is dunderheaded.

And that's on a *good* day.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 18th 05, 01:11 PM
Jay Honeck

to tell you the truth: I've heard from some universities around the world
(in
the news etc.), but I've never heard from your university. But this is
only me.

Hey -- didn't you hear? We just received national press coverage for being
the university with the highest percentage of "binge drinking" in the
nation?

;-)

Ah, to be young again...

Actually, the University of Iowa is routinely ranked in the top ten in the
country, and it's generally considered number one in the U.S. for literature
and writing. If you've ever heard of the "Writer's Workshop," it's based
right here in Iowa City.

Of course, being Austrian, I suppose it's a long shot that you would have
heard of an English language writer's workshop?

Grad students from all over the world flock here to attend it, and admission
is incredibly prestigious. Once you've "been to the workshop" you are
generally considered "somebody" in the literary world.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 06:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM