Tricky examiners

Old January 13th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Default Tricky examiners

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:28:14 -0500, Dudley Henriques
wrote:

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Really. there will come a time when they'll look at us the way we'd look at
someone who went to sea in a canoe.

I think that's already happening, particularly in the area of navigation.
I've had more than one pilot comment with amazement on the fact that we used
to navigate across the country without GPS. Particularly in areas where
radio navigation is not available (mountains). Apparently, finding
unfamiliar airports without the magic box pointing you right at it, is some
sort of magical feat. I personally know pilots that wouldn't consider flying
a cross-country trip without an operable GPS.

Remember when flying a GA airplane across an ocean was a huge navigational
challenge (HF being what it is)?

My local library has bound copies of the aviation mags going back to the
'20s. Since my plane's equipment is generally not much better than the
state of the art in the 40s, I can often relate to those old articles.

Several years back I saw an old Narco radio (Superhomer) in an aviation
museum and was surprised because I'd removed an identical one from my
airplane only a few years before.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Things have sure come a long way since the Superhomer days for sure. We
used to check the gas against the forcast winds, pick a Magnetic Course
off the nearest VOR and parrell that to the True Course line, allow some

You had a radio that worked?
The planes we had available when I was a primary student did have a
single nav and com that sometimes worked.(over a very short range)

extra gas for ("unintended consequences" :-), then take off, check the
ground speed and wind between the first two checkpoints and get an ETA.
God, we were archaic by modern day standards.......and I haven't even
mentioned trying to fly a damn low freq range leg with a bad headset :-))))

And you had the modern stuff :-))

Roger (K8RI)
Old January 13th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote in
:

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:47:15 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

"RST Engineering" wrote in
:

Sorry old chap, if you mentioned this somewhere in this thread, I
missed it. In that case, you are correct and the examiner is well
within his bounds to ask you if you would do something illegal, and
if you agree, you lose. That's true on this side of the pond as
well.

Actually, the rules could be very different ndeed. No idea what Oz is
like, but I have been involved in certification in a few different
countries and while the general idea is the same, the specific rules
can be very different indeed.
The Brits, for instance, are downright bizarre. Don't even start me on
the Germans, and I had one licence that merely required that my
company bribe the officials. No check ride, no written on the local
rules. nothing.

You also had to bribe the waiter in this place to get you your
breakfast, customs and immigration to get in and out of the country,
the fueler to brign you fuel on time and so on.

I went to an "Ethics" training meeting at one company I worked for.
They dealt with both US and "foreign" ethics. The gist of the meeting
was "If you have a problem doing business like this" we suggest you
either plan on staying in your present state side position or seek
employment elsewhere". IOW the emphasis was on the "elsewhere" as
most would be going to other countries within their first 10 years of
so.

These "Ethics" are a nightmare for companies doing business abroad as
you play by their rules, but you can't let the folks "over here" know
that.

Well, the division I was working for at that place did nothing but
overseas stuff and were well able for all that. In many ways it wasn't
all that much different fromthe way it worked elsewhere. Just think of
it as "taxes" And since we paid none anywhere while working for these
guys we dind't mind.

Bertie
Old January 13th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

You had a radio?

Bertie
Old January 13th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:58:45 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Lots of NDB's down in SA. I have to admit though that it was the thought
of flying over that damn jungle every day that worried me. I never did
find out if that job went through or who if anyone took it. The P38 that
was involved ended up here in the states somewhere I believe and went to
a private owner.

Speaking of crappy jobs not taken, I remember seeing one years ago involving an
"armored T-28" for thunderstorm and hail research in the midwestern United
States in the Trade-A-Plane. I was actually thinking about it until I got to
the part about the "$10,000 bonus if you complete the contract". Hmmmmm....

Not too long ago I saw a film clip of a guy flying a T-28 through
thunderstorms doing hair research. Probably the same one?
He survived as did the T-28.

Roger (K8RI)

I've always wondered if I had taken that job if I would have ended up on
some Jivaro's lodge pole as a shrunken head :-))

No doubt it would have made a handsome addition to his decor.

Old January 13th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Well, at least in the Tri-Pacers and the PA18's. The J3's and the
Aeronca Champs were bare bones indeed :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 13th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:50:22 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Hey! If yah got it, flaunt it! :-))

Roger

Bertie

Old January 13th 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Lots of NDB's down in SA. I have to admit though that it was the thought
of flying over that damn jungle every day that worried me. I never did
find out if that job went through or who if anyone took it. The P38 that
was involved ended up here in the states somewhere I believe and went to
a private owner.

Speaking of crappy jobs not taken, I remember seeing one years ago involving an
"armored T-28" for thunderstorm and hail research in the midwestern United
States in the Trade-A-Plane. I was actually thinking about it until I got to
the part about the "$10,000 bonus if you complete the contract". Hmmmmm....

Not too long ago I saw a film clip of a guy flying a T-28 through
thunderstorms doing hair research. Probably the same one?

Hair research?

Damn computer, I know what I meant! You'd think it'd be smart enough
to type hail. Gotta watch those grammar checkers.

Roger (K8RI)

Old January 13th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
Speaking of crappy jobs not taken, I remember seeing one years ago involving
an "armored T-28" for thunderstorm and hail research in the midwestern United
States in the Trade-A-Plane. I was actually thinking about it until I got to
the part about the "$10,000 bonus if you complete the contract". Hmmmmm....

Not too long ago I saw a film clip of a guy flying a T-28 through
thunderstorms doing hair research. Probably the same one?
He survived as did the T-28.

No doubt every day in that job was a bad hair day.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 13th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Roger (K8RI) wrote:
Speaking of crappy jobs not taken, I remember seeing one years ago involving
an "armored T-28" for thunderstorm and hail research in the midwestern United
States in the Trade-A-Plane. I was actually thinking about it until I got to
the part about the "$10,000 bonus if you complete the contract". Hmmmmm....

Not too long ago I saw a film clip of a guy flying a T-28 through
thunderstorms doing hair research. Probably the same one?
He survived as did the T-28.

No doubt every day in that job was a bad hair day.

Well at least he was flying from the Hairport!!!

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 13th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Speaking of crappy jobs not taken, I remember seeing one years ago
involving an "armored T-28" for thunderstorm and hail research in the
midwestern United States in the Trade-A-Plane. I was actually thinking
about it until I got to the part about the "$10,000 bonus if you complete
the contract". Hmmmmm....
Not too long ago I saw a film clip of a guy flying a T-28 through
thunderstorms doing hair research. Probably the same one?
He survived as did the T-28.

No doubt every day in that job was a bad hair day.

Well at least he was flying from the Hairport!!!

In a very stout hairplane! Two can play that game although I find myself
challenged, hirsutically (sp?) speaking.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com