Removing decals

Old August 8th 05, 03:38 PM

Default Removing decals

Our club just received our newest 172. The previous owner put a decal
on the door advertising his company and we would like to remove it
without harming the paint. Any suggestions?

Old August 8th 05, 05:43 PM
Paul kgyy

Depending on the type of decal, a hair dryer might work.

Old August 8th 05, 08:53 PM
Jim Burns

3M Adhesive Remover
http://www.3m.com/product/a_index/Adhesive_Remover,_3M(TM)_General_Purpose_(BK)_00.j html

Jim

oups.com...

Old August 10th 05, 01:22 AM
Mike Spera

Our club just received our newest 172. The previous owner put a decal
on the door advertising his company and we would like to remove it
without harming the paint. Any suggestions?

I have extensive experience removing decals. I used to remove the "wood
grain" decals from station wagons many years ago. Also, I worked in a
computer leasing company that shipped machines out with several stickers
all over them that had to eventually be removed and replaced when they
got too deteriorated.

For 3M vinyl like wood grain and modern graphics, use a heat gun and
work slowly. Another poster listed 3 sites that have very good info. If
the decal is aged and has been exposed to sunlight, it may be too
brittle and snap apart when you try to remove it. A plastic Bondo
squeegee may help, but it is a real pain in the ass when they do this.
If they are cracked, you can try 3M decal or adhesive remover.

It is a delicate balancing act to get the right "peel speed" on these
buggers when using heat. Also, heat guns can burn you, the decal, and
the underlying paint in an instant. So, you have to be VERY careful and
move the gun around CONSTANTLY. I had a guy who was pretty good at using
an acetylene torch as the heat source. I preferred the heat gun.

3M also makes an "eraser" for decal glue that often works on the decal
itself. The unit chucks into a drill and has some sort of rubber wheel.
It was made to remove the glue holding side moldings to cars but we
found it useful for other cleanups like this. Not sure if it is still made.

When you remove the decal, you may be in for a surprise. Some paint
finishes fade within 3 weeks of application. Decals applied at the wrong
time may leave an off colored spot that may or may not eventually fade
to match the surrounding area. Usually, the discolored spot is as
objectionable as the decal that caused it.

Good Luck,
Mike

Old August 10th 05, 03:55 AM
George Patterson

Mike Spera wrote:

3M also makes an "eraser" for decal glue that often works on the decal
itself. The unit chucks into a drill and has some sort of rubber wheel.
It was made to remove the glue holding side moldings to cars but we
found it useful for other cleanups like this. Not sure if it is still made.

It and others like it are still made. I didn't post links to the two I found
because they're pretty expensive.

George Patterson