Trouble getting mail from RAS

Old March 13th 13, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Firstlight

Default Trouble getting mail from RAS

Hello Users,

I am obviously too dumb to survive in the computer era. I can see posts to RAS online, but no matter what I do, I can't get them delivered to my inbox. Is there somebody who can walk me through the steps? I've tried several different addresses.

Thankfully, I am a bit better at flying than computers...

Cheers,

Firstlight
Old March 13th 13, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 3/12/2013 7:31 PM, Firstlight wrote:
Hello Users,

I am obviously too dumb to survive in the computer era. I can see posts to
RAS online, but no matter what I do, I can't get them delivered to my
inbox. Is there somebody who can walk me through the steps? I've tried
several different addresses.

Thankfully, I am a bit better at flying than computers...

Cheers,

Firstlight

When I occasionally want a post in my inbox, I've been successful (using
Thunderbird as my RAS reader) using the "Forward" button. I forward to myself,
of course.

HTH.

Bob W.
Old March 13th 13, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:31:52 -0700, Firstlight wrote:

Hello Users,

I am obviously too dumb to survive in the computer era. I can see posts
to RAS online, but no matter what I do, I can't get them delivered to my
inbox. Is there somebody who can walk me through the steps? I've tried
several different addresses.

That's how it should work: USENET, of which r.a.s is one of a few tens of
thousands of newsgroups is a sort of distributed bulletin board or forum.
It is designed to be read online, though some newsreaders can work
offline. USENET itself is almost as old as e-mail. Both are almost 20
years older than the World Wide Web.

Some newsreaders, e.g. Thunderbird, can handle both e-mail and USENET,
but in my opinion you're better served by using separate programs.

All the programs I'm about to list are free to download, try, and go on
using if you like them. Except for the ones I sat are paid for. If you're
a Windows user, try:

- Forte's FreeAgent does everything well but doesn't have a killfile
It can work offline: in this mode you go online, download all the news
for your subscribed groups and drop offline to read them and write
replies. Then you go online again briefly to upload your replies.

- Forte's Agent (about $30 to upgrade FreeAgent) does have a killfile
Whether you need a killfile depends on the newsgroups you read: some
are full of trolls and spam, Others, like r.a.s, aren't.
I used FreeAgent/Agent for years until I stopped using Windows.

- also NewsRover and Ozum (I haven't used either of these)

For Linux:

- Pan (my current newsreader)

For OS X (I don't use OS X)

- try Unison or Thoth

I've used Thunderbird and didn't like it much for either for mail or
news. It hasn't had anything like the development effort that Firebird,
its Mozilla stablemate, got and in my opinion this really shows.

HTH

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 15th 13, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Firstlight

Hello Martin, Bob and Dave,

Many thanks for your help. I have recently switched platforms. With all your input, I am sure I'll get things squared away now soon.

Many thanks!

Wayne

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:56:51 PM UTC-4, Dave Doe wrote:
In article ,

Firstlight says...

Hello Users,

I am obviously too dumb to survive in the computer era. I can see

posts to RAS online, but no matter what I do, I can't get them

delivered to my inbox. Is there somebody who can walk me through the

steps? I've tried several different addresses.

Thankfully, I am a bit better at flying than computers...

Cheers,

Firstlight

Your header info says your posting method or program is "G2/1.0". What

is that???

But whatever it is, if it is an offline usenet reader, then it should

have the capability to e-mail out. You'd need to check that at least

the sending server is correct (must match the sending server of your

ISP), and that you use your own e-mail address (or clearly, you won't

receive them! ).

--

Duncan.

KX 155 trouble doug mcconnell Products 1 October 31st 12 05:41 PM
IN THE MAIL johnhamish Soaring 0 August 27th 10 03:50 AM
KAP 140 trouble Dan Luke Owning 27 July 12th 07 07:13 PM
Tie Down Trouble Dylan Smith Piloting 16 May 20th 06 09:47 PM
Lunaris Mail : UNLIMITED Mail Box size richammond Owning 0 May 16th 05 06:12 PM