O2 cylinder

Old February 5th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default O2 cylinder

Does anyone out there in r.a.s. land know how to get a German Oxygen
cylinder recertified to DOT specifications, and a place to get it done? I
think it is out of date, and I got I with the glider, a DG800B. It appears
to be in good shape-no dings or scratches. It has no DOT cert number on the
neck, and was imported with the glider-factory installed.

Thanks in advance
--
Hartley Falbaum

Old February 5th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

HL Falbaum wrote:
Does anyone out there in r.a.s. land know how to get a German Oxygen
cylinder recertified to DOT specifications, and a place to get it done? I
think it is out of date, and I got I with the glider, a DG800B. It appears
to be in good shape-no dings or scratches. It has no DOT cert number on the
neck, and was imported with the glider-factory installed.

Thanks in advance
--
Hartley Falbaum

Find a local place which does cylinder filling, most compressed gas
supply houses and diving equipment service houses can do hydrostatic
testing. e.g Airgas, Praxair, or BOC dealers. This should be done
every five years.

Google search turns up a lot of hits.

Old February 5th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do not hand your nice cylinder over to most welding supply houses. It'll
come back looking like it rode in a dump truck with 100 other loose
cylinders . . . probably 'cause it did!

Try a fire extinguisher servicing place.

bumper
"chipsoars" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 5th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 5 Feb 2006 13:24:12 GMT, Gary Evans
wrote:

I don't know what they put in fire extinguishers but
I can't imagine that its good to breath.

For the hydrotest, water. If the fire extinguisher places scare you,
try a scuba shop; they hydrotest theirs (by regulation on all
compressed gas cylinders of certain characteristics, I believe) every
5 years as well. Some do it in-house, some send them out.

I hedged there because I'm in the fluid power industry; we use
accumulators and "gas bottles" with nitrogen at pressures up to 6000
psi or so. SO FAR, I've never run into a recertification on European
or Japanese products. It may be DOT (where T is transportation);
stationary applications may be exempt.

I do run into requirements at purchase that they must meet the
appropriate country's criteria.

Old February 5th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hartley,
Sorry, but I don't think you can get it done. All the responses to
your question tell you where to get it hydo tested. That is not your
porblem. None of those places will test it - or they shoul not - as it
does not have a DOT certification. That is the problem with the
European bottles. Unless you find someone who does not follow the
rules ( and if you do you will probalbly have to take it back to them
each time as no one else will do it, they might put a phony DOT # on it
but if they will do that I would be worried about the quality of their
testing) or does not know the rules, which I have not found to happen
very often, you can not get it filled. If you have been getting it
filled so far you are lucky. If you have the small bottle you can
usually change to the US DOT "D" size. You may have to sand the
bottle sleeve just a bit. I have had this problem with two German
gliders.

Good luck

Tom
Idaho

Old February 5th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

you can not get a US DOT approval on German cylinders.they do not comply
with US DOT.....
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

Old February 5th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well thanks guys----
Hope springs eternal, but it looks like the spring has run dry.
Title 49CFR Part 180 (Continuing Qualification)covers this and refers to
exemption letters for Foreign Cylinders. I have emailed DG to see if such an
exemption was ever made or documented--but I have my doubts.

Thanks for all your inputs

--
Hartley Falbaum

Old February 5th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In my professional capacity as a nondestructive test engineer, I was
peripherally involved in the successful effort to get DOT approval for
acoustic testing of high pressure cylinders carrying gasses on truck
trailers, as well as for acoustically testing composite liquefied
natural gas cylinders used in automobiles. I have also personally used
acoustics to inspect pressure systems used in Mach 14 wind tunnels that
involve pressures up to 60,000 (yes, sixty thousand) psi of air. Those
were some crazy thick walled pressure vessels...made the 16 inch rifles
on the battleship New Jersey look puny!

In the United States pressure vessels must be certified to either DOT
or ASME standards. If a pressure vessel to be used in the USA does not
have either DOT or ASME certification, it is illegal to use it, much
less to fill it. For example, check out Michelin, Continental,
Bridgestone, Dunlop or Pirelli tires - they all have a DOT approval for
USA usage, even though they aren't made here. Yes, tires are considered
to be a pressure vessel - so is your hot water heater, for that
matter.

Sorry, Hartley, you're going to have to buy another oxygen cylinder
if you want to be legal.

-John

Old February 6th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

jcarlyle wrote:
[...]

Bicycle tires and rims too (never heard this)? *Much* higher pressure
than car tires.

Shawn

Bad cylinder Denny Owning 17 September 12th 05 06:04 PM
Path of an airplane in a 1G roll Chris W Piloting 47 July 4th 05 10:53 PM
Path of an airplane in a 1G roll Chris W Aerobatics 20 June 29th 05 09:35 AM
Path of an airplane in a 1G roll Chris W Home Built 22 June 29th 05 09:35 AM
Start Anywhere Cylinder (SSA rules proposal) Mark Navarre Soaring 15 September 25th 03 01:13 PM