US Troops using AK-47s

Old July 17th 04, 06:48 AM
robert arndt

Default US Troops using AK-47s

http://www.sacbee.com/24hour/special...-6862352c.html

Rob
Old July 17th 04, 02:49 PM
BUFDRVR

"Some complain that standard U.S. military M16 and M4 rifles jam too easily in
Iraq's dusty environment. Many say the AK has better "knockdown" power and can
kill with fewer shots."

I think pretty much *everyone* says a 7.62 has better "knockdown" power than
5.56.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old July 19th 04, 01:58 PM
John S. Shinal

(BUFDRVR) quoted:

"Some complain that standard U.S. military M16 and M4 rifles jam too easily in
Iraq's dusty environment. "

Ancedotal, but friends back from Afghanistan said they worked
fine in the apalling cement-like dust there.

"M4 with a Master Key" was their favorite. I'm a little
unclear on whether the Master Key is a 40mm or shotgun attachment, but
they used it for room entries.

Old July 19th 04, 07:12 PM
ian maclure

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:58:31 +0000, John S. Shinal wrote:

(BUFDRVR) quoted:

"Some complain that standard U.S. military M16 and M4 rifles jam too easily in
Iraq's dusty environment. "

Ancedotal, but friends back from Afghanistan said they worked
fine in the apalling cement-like dust there.

"M4 with a Master Key" was their favorite. I'm a little
unclear on whether the Master Key is a 40mm or shotgun attachment, but
they used it for room entries.

I believe its a shotgun attachmment firing a solid round.
There's a term for these things but I don't recall it.
Police forces usually employ a separate shotgun for door
breaching work if they think a battering ram won't do it.

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 20th 04, 12:53 AM
Bill Phillips

The AK fires the 7.62mm x 39 which is much less powerful that the 7.62mm x
51 used in the M14.

"Regnirps" wrote in message
(BUFDRVR) wrote:

I think pretty much *everyone* says a 7.62 has better "knockdown" power

than
5.56.

Certainly true for M14s. I'll take 180 grains at 2800 fps over 55 at 3200

any
day. (unless you want to eat the rabbit).

-- Charlie Springer

Old July 20th 04, 03:24 AM
BUFDRVR

John S. Shinal wrote;

(BUFDRVR) quoted:

"Some complain that standard U.S. military M16 and M4 rifles jam too easily

in
Iraq's dusty environment. "

Not my quote.

Ancedotal, but friends back from Afghanistan said they worked
fine in the apalling cement-like dust there.

I've heard the same thing.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old July 20th 04, 03:26 AM
BUFDRVR

Bill Phillips wrote:

The AK fires the 7.62mm x 39 which is much less powerful that the 7.62mm x
51 used in the M14.

OK, I've never understood the x 39 or x 51. What do these numbers refer to?

So as not to get hit for a non-aviation post; what color is your favorite
aircraft?

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"