Stowable dolly for taxing by DG Flugzeugbau

Old August 2nd 20, 10:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Stowable dolly for taxing by DG Flugzeugbau

Hi,
Anyone has experience with this product?
I am thinking about using ot with DG600

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/lib...ly-for-taxiing

Old August 2nd 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 2:09:33 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,
Anyone has experience with this product?
I am thinking about using ot with DG600

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/lib...ly-for-taxiing

The wingtip wheels are poker-chip sized plastic wheels that have trouble even on paved surfaces, let alone a grass field. I replaced these on my DG400 with custom-made rollerblade wheels. I used angle iron and drilled the hole for the wheel at an angle that matched the angle of the wing when the tip was on the ground so the wheel was normal to the surface. I didn't bother to fair the wheel, but it would be possible to make a fairing (the shape of the rollerblade wheel is, in itself, a crude fairing). I used this for many years and it worked perfectly including some airports with some very big cracks.

However, if you are going to tow the glider over rough grass fields I recommend getting a wing wheel. Otherwise, you risk having the small wingtip wheel drop into a gopher hole and catch, at which point the tail boom can have a great deal of torque applied to it.

Tom
Old August 2nd 20, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks. However I inquired about slightly different ready made solution form DG

Old August 2nd 20, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 5:09:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,
Anyone has experience with this product?
I am thinking about using ot with DG600

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/lib...ly-for-taxiing

I have one - I got it when I got my DG808CCompetition in late 2007. I have yet to use it. My wingtip wheels are standard Inline skate wheels in the DG made housing. To use the accessory wheel, you would put it on to taxi, then stop the engine, get out, remove the wheel, get back in and start the engine, and launch! The wheel is larger than a inline skate wheel, and is mounted on a arm so the wing is well off the ground. So, looks good on paper--that is why I bought it. But in practice, a pain in the neck. The DG 400 wingtip wheels are on the other hand, not really adequate for taxiing.
Hartley Falbaum
DG808C Comp
"KF"
Georgia USA
Old August 2nd 20, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Hartley Falbaum wrote on 8/2/2020 1:08 PM:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 5:09:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,
Anyone has experience with this product?
I am thinking about using ot with DG600

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/lib...ly-for-taxiing

I have one - I got it when I got my DG808CCompetition in late 2007. I have yet to use it. My wingtip wheels are standard Inline skate wheels in the DG made housing. To use the accessory wheel, you would put it on to taxi, then stop the engine, get out, remove the wheel, get back in and start the engine, and launch! The wheel is larger than a inline skate wheel, and is mounted on a arm so the wing is well off the ground. So, looks good on paper--that is why I bought it. But in practice, a pain in the neck. The DG 400 wingtip wheels are on the other hand, not really adequate for taxiing.

If there is someone at the launch point, they could remove the DG unit and put in
the baggage area for you - no need to get out, but stopping the engine would be
good idea. Then, you'd have the unit with you to use wherever you landed, should
you need it.

Old August 2nd 20, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh[_2_]

Yeah, had one on DG808, never used it: says it all really. It
was easier to use the car to tow out if the ground was rough
or taxi at high speed and fly the wings on the ground. This is
quite alarming for both the pilot and onlookers!

wrote:
Hi,
Anyone has experience with this product?
I am thinking about using ot with DG600
=20

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/lib...-foldable-and-

stowable-wing-dol=
ly-for-taxiing
=20

=

Old August 3rd 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darren Braun

I use this almost exclusively for moving my glider, towing it around and it works quite well on paved surfaces. I use it instead of a wing wheel which has the advantage of one less piece of large equipment to lug around. The disadvantage is you need wide taxiways and it is not great on gravel. And you need to be a bit more careful watching your wings when you tow the glider.

The other advantage is that it goes with me in the glider. Wherever I land I have this to help you move the glider and it can be use to help lift the tip should you need to take off from a strip or grass. It's well made.. nice little design.
Darren
Old August 3rd 20, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darren Braun

I should say, it could be used that way for a takeoff in grass but I have never done it. If I was concerned about a field takeoff situation, sans wing runner , would not hesitate to use it in that manner. It's really quite light.