Dizziness disorientation

Old January 16th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
New Pilot

Default Dizziness disorientation

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any experience of the following or know about it.

I recently got a ppl licence and generally are fine doing all the
flying type tasks required to safely take off fly and land.
One thing that seems to get me every time is if I am for example
flying straight and level at 2 or 3 thousand feet (height just as an
arbitory figure) and I encounter a crosswind the aircraft slowly but
surely starts to yaw as the wind hits the tail fin. this bit I
understand but the bit I don't is when this situation happens
I feel dizzy and disorientated for a few moments as the view from the
window in VFR starts to rotate.
I can reduce this by a bit of rudder to stop the rotation and keep the
ball in the centre.

Is this normal or should I not be flying?

thanks
Old January 16th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 16, 7:25 am, New Pilot wrote:
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any experience of the following or know about it.

I recently got a ppl licence and generally are fine doing all the
flying type tasks required to safely take off fly and land.
One thing that seems to get me every time is if I am for example
flying straight and level at 2 or 3 thousand feet (height just as an
arbitory figure) and I encounter a crosswind the aircraft slowly but
surely starts to yaw as the wind hits the tail fin. this bit I
understand but the bit I don't is when this situation happens
I feel dizzy and disorientated for a few moments as the view from the
window in VFR starts to rotate.
I can reduce this by a bit of rudder to stop the rotation and keep the
ball in the centre.

Is this normal or should I not be flying?

Do you have allergies or congestion? You may have inner ear problems
that were not detected during your physical.

Your grasp of fundamentals needs some review. There should be no
"Crosswind" once aloft. The airplane moves with the air mass and it's
highly unlikely the "wind hitting the tail fin" is different from the
wind hitting everything else. The "tail fin" is the vertical
stabilizer and attached is (usually) a rudder that counteracts adverse
yaw (unless you are blessed to fly a V tail, in which case elevator
and rudder are combined to form ruddervators).

While there is wind shear (in which the airplane acts as if it is
being struck by wind from behind or in front) this does not typically
act in such a localized manner. I suspect the yaw is the result of
uncoordinated flight -- banking or correcting wing drops in bumps
while not also applying the correct yaw counteracting rudder input.

You should get checked out for inner ear issues -- and before your
next flight.

Dan
http://trainingforcfi.blogspot.com/

Old January 16th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

New Pilot wrote:
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any experience of the following or know about it.

I recently got a ppl licence and generally are fine doing all the
flying type tasks required to safely take off fly and land.
One thing that seems to get me every time is if I am for example
flying straight and level at 2 or 3 thousand feet (height just as an
arbitory figure) and I encounter a crosswind the aircraft slowly but
surely starts to yaw as the wind hits the tail fin. this bit I
understand but the bit I don't is when this situation happens
I feel dizzy and disorientated for a few moments as the view from the
window in VFR starts to rotate.
I can reduce this by a bit of rudder to stop the rotation and keep the
ball in the centre.

Is this normal or should I not be flying?

thanks

No, it is not normal. You should not encounter any dizyness
and certainly not any disorientation while flying. If you
are encountering this in daytime VFR imagine what might happen
at night, MVFR or other less than ideal conditions. Go see
a doctor about it it may be something simple (ear infection?)
or could be more serious.

Old January 16th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No, it is not normal. You should not encounter any dizyness
and certainly not any disorientation while flying.

Not exactly true -- "disorientation" is simply a person's body telling
them one thing and the airplane actually doing another. This can and
does happen to pilots all the time -- training and experience tells
them to ignore the bad data.

"Dizzyness" (I'm spinning) is more likely another symptom of
disorientation.

Dan

Old January 16th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

" wrote in news:123372b6-fd35-
:

[...]

I wonder if Ken taught him to fly.

Bertie
Old January 16th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 16, 9:50 am, kontiki wrote:

I have never experienced disorientation while flying in VFR
conditions... ever. That's what I assumed he was talking about.

Try this next time you're in solid VFR (with a safety pilot or CFI) --
cover the gauges, close your eyes, bend all the way forward (as though
trying to find a pen on the floor) and then quickly look up as the
safety pilot turns or does another maneuver.

Your body's sensory information will be misleading, and only reliance
on a compensating sensor (in VFR conditions, it will be sight) can
overcome the strong desire to "get back upright."

That's disorientation.

Once or twice I have experienced counter-intuitive sensations
while in solid IMC (as perhaps many pilots do) but it did not
cause me to become disoriented (where am I? am I upside down?)
Perhaps I need to lookup the definition of "disorientation"...
which sounds like a dangerous thing to be when PIC.

I've had the contrary-to-instrument body sensor indications experience
once or twice each IMC flight. Only training and experience coupled
with discipline can counteract the body's disinformation campaign.

Dan

Old January 16th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
kontiki

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
" wrote in news:123372b6-fd35-
:

[...]

I wonder if Mxsmanic has ever experienced vertigo while flying his Sim?

Old January 16th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

kontiki wrote in news:4qpjj.2266$7d1.1104
@news01.roc.ny:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
" wrote in news:123372b6-fd35-
: