Some winter flying pix for you snowbirds out there...

Old January 2nd 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Some winter flying pix for you snowbirds out there...

You guys in warmer climes may wonder what all the fuss is about the
weather at this time of year. Until you've preflighted in air that
hurts to breathe, and shoveled out your hangar for the umpteenth
time, it's hard to imagine what a challenge winter flying can be.

We took a flight on Xmas day (the first nice flying day in ages) and
-- because I actually got to ride in the BACK seat (a *very*
comfortable vantage point, BTW) -- I took some video and snapped a few
winter scenes.

Here's a short video of Mary taxiing past some big snow piles. Gotta
watch the wings carefully in these conditions, in a low-wing bird:

http://tinyurl.com/358t5b

Here's a picture of my daughter playing in the snow outside of our
hangar. It's snowed several times more since these were taken, so the
piles are even bigger now.

http://tinyurl.com/2tkfwr

Not many wives would do this! Here's a picture of my co-pilot
shoveling in front of the hangar. This year we've shoveled snow every
day since Thanksgiving:

http://tinyurl.com/2m3fh2

A good shot of what the snow plow leaves behind in front of the hangar
door:

http://tinyurl.com/2tbc34

Unrelated to snow, here's a decent shot of our panel-docked 496. The
AirGizmo makes a nice, neat installation:

http://tinyurl.com/3crnry

Winter flying is awesome -- it's like having an extra 100 horsepower
-- but everything takes longer. We're hoping to fly later today --
it's absolutely CAVU here, for the first time in weeks -- but the
temperature outside right now is zero degrees. At that temperature
tires deflate, flaps don't retract without assistance, and everything
creaks and groans -- but that's what you put up with if you want to
fly in the Midwest.

Now, don't you guys in California feel better about putting up with
all that traffic and smog?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 2nd 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Certainly makes me glad I don't live that far north. All things considered,
we have it pretty good in Oklahoma.

Old January 2nd 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Brian Colohan

Jay Honeck writes:
Now, don't you guys in California feel better about putting up with
all that traffic and smog?

Traffic: I ride my bike to work every day. The bike trails are not
_that_ crowded. Smog: huh? I think since I moved here (the south bay
are) two years ago we may have had 3-4 smoggy days, all caused by
wildfires. You must think all of California is like LA. :-)

Chris
Old January 2nd 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
You guys in warmer climes may wonder what all the fuss is about the
weather at this time of year. Until you've preflighted in air that
hurts to breathe, and shoveled out your hangar for the umpteenth
time, it's hard to imagine what a challenge winter flying can be.

... Here's a picture of my co-pilot
shoveling in front of the hangar. This year we've shoveled snow every
day since Thanksgiving:

http://tinyurl.com/2m3fh2

Shame on you - making your wife shovel all that. Be a man - buy her a snow
blower...

;-)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old January 2nd 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
You guys in warmer climes may wonder what all the fuss is about the
weather at this time of year. Until you've preflighted in air that
hurts to breathe, and shoveled out your hangar for the umpteenth
time, it's hard to imagine what a challenge winter flying can be.

... Here's a picture of my co-pilot
shoveling in front of the hangar. This year we've shoveled snow every
day since Thanksgiving:

http://tinyurl.com/2m3fh2

Shame on you - making your wife shovel all that. Be a man - buy her a snow
blower...

;-)

Yes, a really LOUD one. :-)

Matt
Old January 3rd 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

http://tinyurl.com/2tkfwr

Not many wives would do this! Here's a picture of my co-pilot
shoveling in front of the hangar. This year we've shoveled snow every
day since Thanksgiving:

http://tinyurl.com/2m3fh2

I'm sure she refers to you as the co-pilot..

BT

Old January 3rd 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

ahh.. reminds me of my training days in NH
and all those years I lived in ND and SD
and now very southern NV.. is so much nicer in winter

BT

Old January 3rd 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Jan 2, 10:18*am, Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Good looking plane.

Wil
Old January 3rd 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Good looking plane.

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Winter Flying, pt 4 - RAN Sea Fury on HMAS Sydney during a Korean winter.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 February 2nd 07 01:00 PM
Winter Flying, pt 4 - No flying today.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 February 2nd 07 12:59 PM
Winter Flying, pt 3 - It's still winter here.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 February 1st 07 01:34 PM
Snowbirds Crash Jay Honeck Piloting 12 August 26th 05 09:51 PM
Snowbirds down tony roberts Piloting 24 December 15th 04 03:38 PM