VWs

Old January 31st 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default VWs

On Jan 31, 11:27*am, Charles Vincent wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 29, 7:20 pm, " wrote:

If I wanted a two-cylinder air cooled engine I'd go buy one, following
the lead of Leeon Davis.

* * * * * *What engine did he use? I did a quick Google but all I
could find was a reference to a 40-hp two-banger in his airplane. No
details.
* * * * * Found, too, that Leeon has died. Too bad.

* * * * *Dan

Here is another link:

http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/da11.html

Charles

That is fantastic.
Old February 27th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Jan 29, 12:55 pm, wrote:
Really? When I look at the VW head image, I see two cylinder heads cast
together in a manner that reduces the total fin area and obstructs
cooling flow. I see a cylinder head with cylinder stud bosses that not
only reduce fin area, but are actually blocking cooling air just where
it is needed. Same with the studs themselves. I see a cylinder head
with a single pompadour cooling fin in the extremely critical area
between the valves and spark plug boss. If you could actually hold a
C-85 and VW both in your hand the differences would be even more striking.

Charles

Has anyone ever tried adapting aero head designs to the VW block and
cylinders?

Can you order them online?

--

FF
Old February 27th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Jan 29, 8:32 pm, wrote:
Seems like you shot the first volley across the bow.

Like saying this: "When I want to know what *you* think is a legitimate
pursuit in the experimental aircraft arena I'll ask."
--
Jim in NC

I thought this was the first "shot"

"You would have to replace the jug and head to match the aero design.
And
then why? So that you could mate you're new heads to a cylinder block
that has been known to crack just sitting on a shelf waiting to be
installed?"

I didn't think that was offered in the spirit of answering an honest
question, but to be aggressive and insulting.

My advice is that if you suspect someone is
being a prick, be polite in turn. You may find
out that he was just a bit gruff. OTOH if
he _is_ a prick he will probably seize the
opportunity to advertise that fact.

Also remember, winning a ****ing contest just
proves that you are a bigger prick than the
competition.

--

FF
Old February 27th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Fred, mercy me!

PLease be more careful with your snipping, and how things come out, as far
as who said what.

My name was in there, and I'll bet nobody has the slightest idea as to what
I really said, unless they go back and look. They won't.

There was some stuff said in that thread that I want no part of saying that
I said! g

When in doubt, just snip out all the names. Then, nobody can be blamed. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old February 27th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote

Can you order them online?

That is part of the problem, with the VW design.

The fact that the two cylinders are combined into one unit, means that the
opportunity to get some distance between the cylinders, and thus some more
room to add more cooling fins and area to the heads. You just can not
separate them enough.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 27th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
oilsardine[_2_]

"Morgans" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

That is part of the problem, with the VW design.

The fact that the two cylinders are combined into one unit, means that the
opportunity to get some distance between the cylinders, and thus some more
room to add more cooling fins and area to the heads. You just can not
separate them enough.

have you ever had a close look on a VW head? At least my MOFOCO head got a
gap between the front and rear cylinder. The fins actually ARE separated! I
see more an advantage than an disadvantage with the VW head. Makes the top
end much stiffer.

Old February 27th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Morgans" wrote in message
Fred, mercy me!

PLease be more careful with your snipping, and how things come out, as far
as who said what.

My name was in there, and I'll bet nobody has the slightest idea as to
what I really said, unless they go back and look. They won't.

There was some stuff said in that thread that I want no part of saying
that I said! g

When in doubt, just snip out all the names. Then, nobody can be blamed.
;-)
--
Jim in NC

Never stopped you from blaming anyone, you just bitched because all the
names were omitted and you responded in error.

Old February 28th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Feb 27, 4:43 pm, "anonymous" anonymous wrote:
Fred, mercy me!

PLease be more careful with your snipping, and how things come out, as far
as who said what.

My name was in there, and I'll bet nobody has the slightest idea as to what
I really said, unless they go back and look. They won't.

There was some stuff said in that thread that I want no part of saying that
I said! g

When in doubt, just snip out all the names. Then, nobody can be blamed. ;-)

Well I did manage to quote you correctly though I'll allow as it was
more
by accident than by diligence.

--

FF

Old February 28th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Feb 27, 4:46 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote

Can you order them online?

That is part of the problem, with the VW design.

The fact that the two cylinders are combined into one unit, means that the
opportunity to get some distance between the cylinders, and thus some more
room to add more cooling fins and area to the heads. You just can not
separate them enough.

That's beside the point.

Can you buy real aero jugs and heads online?

--

FF