Mooney busts NY airspace

Old December 29th 03, 09:30 PM
Roy Smith

Default Mooney busts NY airspace

Wonderful front-page story in (of all places) today's New York Post
about a guy in a Mooney who sounds like he busted the NY Class B with
style and ended up with an armed escort home.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/14692.htm
Old December 29th 03, 11:09 PM
rip

Honestly, this one is beyond me. Sure, I've been lost, confused, and
disoriented during my flying career (some may say I still am). But how
anyone can confuse the Hudson and East River is...inconceivable. I mean,
the entire island of Manhattan is a friggin checkpoint, fer cryin' out
loud! This joker needs some serious review time.

Rip

Old December 30th 03, 05:21 PM
CFLav8r

What I can't figure out is that the article states
"Langone said that once he was over the East River,
he received a radio call telling him he'd entered La Guardia airspace."
Isn't that more like "BUSTED Bravo airspace"?
And after busting bravo airspace, why would you go sightseeing?

David (KORL)

Old December 30th 03, 05:27 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"CFLav8r" wrote:

What I can't figure out is that the article states
"Langone said that once he was over the East River,
he received a radio call telling him he'd entered La Guardia airspace."

What I'm still trying to figure out is what "received a radio call"
means. Radio contact is generally initiated by the pilot. If he was
lost, what frequency was he on, and whatever it was, how did ATC know
what it was so they could call him?
Old December 30th 03, 05:50 PM
CFLav8r

What I can't figure out is that the article states
"Langone said that once he was over the East River,
he received a radio call telling him he'd entered La Guardia airspace."

What I'm still trying to figure out is what "received a radio call"
means. Radio contact is generally initiated by the pilot. If he was
lost, what frequency was he on, and whatever it was, how did ATC know
what it was so they could call him?

I guess while he was at it, he should have flown south to D.C. and buzzed
the Washington monument.

Old December 30th 03, 06:02 PM
Ron Natalie

"CFLav8r" wrote in message om...

I guess while he was at it, he should have flown south to D.C. and buzzed
the Washington monument.

The monument is in a charted flight restricted zone. The Statue isn't (and it
is not illegal to fly near it).

As for "received radio call" it was probably someone yelling at him on the CTAF.

Old December 31st 03, 01:35 AM
Micbloo

The Statue isn't (and it
is not illegal to fly near it).

No but I believe you must be in contact with EWR (Newark) before you fly
around it.
So that's another airspace he busted into.
And I wonder what he thought of the NYP PD ships that buzzed him?
Old December 31st 03, 02:33 AM
Ron Natalie

"Micbloo" wrote in message ...
The Statue isn't (and it
is not illegal to fly near it).

No but I believe you must be in contact with EWR (Newark) before you fly
around it

Nope. As long as you stay below 1100 and don't violate 91.119 you're fine.

Old December 31st 03, 07:33 PM
CASK829

Sounds like the Mooney spike was firmly engaged. For those of you who don't
know about the Mooney spike let me tell you. When a pilot sits down and closed
the door in a Mooney, a spike comes out of the wall and hits the pilot right
in the head.
Old January 2nd 04, 10:23 PM
Micbloo

Nope. As long as you stay below 1100 and don't violate 91.119 you're fine.

Thanks