Here's the Recompiled List of 82 Aircraft Accessible Aviation Museums!

Old January 10th 04, 03:53 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Here's the Recompiled List of 82 Aircraft Accessible Aviation Museums!

Okay, folks -- this is rapidly getting out of hand! I would never have
guessed that I'd get EIGHTY-TWO suggestions for this list!

Can everyone please scan this list, and MAKE SURE that these are REALLY
"taxi-up" accessible using a G.A. plane? I don't want folks (like me!) who
are unfamiliar with a place flying in, only to discover that the museum is
four miles off-field.

Also, we're still missing some critical information on some of these. I
don't have time to research each one, so if you guys would add any pertinent
information for museums you are familiar with, it would make this an even
better list! URLs and ESPECIALLY Cities and States must be added to some!
(For example, see #11. Where the HECK is "Elmira"??? And #21, too.)

Here's what we've got so far... Add more if you've got 'em!

Aircraft Accessible Aviation Museums

1. Rantoul, Illinois. The Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum You can taxi
right up to this one, and park just a few dozen feet away from an F-14
Tomcat. (Sadly, when we were there last month they had the back door
locked, so we had to walk around to the front of the building. This is a
giant hangar, so that was no small feat, with kids in tow...)
See it at: http://www.aeromuseum.org/

2. Topeka, Kansas. Combat Air Museum. Ditto above. Another great museum
located on the old Forbes Field air base. See it at
http://www.combatairmuseum.org/

3. Greenfield Iowa. Iowa Aviation Museum and Hall of Fame. Small, but very
good. See it at http://www.flyingmuseum.com/

4. Ottumwa, Iowa. Airpower Museum and Antique Aircraft Association. This
is on a small, private, grass strip which is home to the most amazing annual
fly-in every summer. Call ahead for permission to land. See it at
http://www.aaa-apm.org/

5. Oshkosh, WI. EAA Airventure Museum. This one is only "sort of"
accessible by air. When I flew in during the winter in '95, I had to park
on the opposite side of the airport (miles away) at Basler, and they drove
us over to the museum. See it at http://www.airventuremuseum.org/

6. Kansas City, MO (MKC) Airline History Museum
http://www.airlinehistorymuseum.com/

7. The Mid America Air Museum in Liberal, KS. It has about 100 aircraft in
it and on the ramp and is located on the airport at Liberal. One of Max
Conrad's record breaking Comanches is on display there.
http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueON99/liberal.html

8. College Park has a nice museum adjacent to the FBO "buildings". Of
course you have to have prior permission to fly in the CGS these days.
I've been through the fingerprinting and rectal probing required however.
College Park Aviation Museum, College Park, MD
http://www.pgparks.com/places/historic/cpam/

9. The Virginia Air Museum at Richmond International is on the airport
property and one of the FBO's is right next door, so you can walk from your
plane to the museum. The Virginia Aviation Museum, Richmond VA URL is:
http://www.vam.smv.org/

10. The Kalamazoo air museum is on the field and I can't remember if I got a
lift over there from the FBO or not. More info on the Kalamazoo Michigan
Air Zoo KAZO www.airzoo.org Yes, you can taxi right to the museum. The
Flight and Restoration Center is open by special appointment only.

11. The National Warplane Museum is right next door to the FBO at Elmira.
However, considering how much financial trouble they appeared to be in last
time I looked, I wouldn't bet on them still being in business next time you
fly there.

12. The Canadian National Aviation Museum
http://www.aviation.nmstc.ca/eng/english_home.html is at Rockcliffe Airport
in Ottawa, and it appears you can taxi over, but I've never tried it.

13. There is also the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton where
you can taxi up and park on the museum ramp. If you visit the museum they
will also waive the landing fees. CYHM. www.warplane.com

14. There's a small WWII museum at PUB (Pueblo, CO). It's right behind the
FBO.

15. The Canadian Bushplane Museum is on the St. Marys river in Sault Ste.
Marie. Free docking if you have a floatplane. The Canadian Bushplane
Heritage Centre is located in the historic former Ontario Provincial Air
Service hangar at the edge of the St. Marys River in downtown Sault Ste.
Marie, Ontario, Canada. Sault Ste. Marie (also known as the Soo) is located
on the border between Canada and the United States at the hub of the Great
Lakes. It is easily reached through Ontario via Trans-Canada Highway 17 or
through Michigan via US Interstate I-75. The Canadian Bushplane Heritage
Centre is also an official, registered water-based airport for floatplanes,
as well as an excellent helicopter landing site. Canadian Federal
designation PX8

16. WNC Air Museum is in Hendersonville, NC and is accessible by two
runways --- 0A7 and the Museum's own sod field. www.wncairmuseum.com

17. The museum at Santa Monica, CA http://www.museumofflying.com/ will open
in 2004.

18. The Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, CA.

19. Planes of Fame also has a branch in northern Arizona, at the Valle
airport near the Grand Canyon. I haven't been there, but have heard good
reports from friends who have. http://www.planesoffame.org/valle.htm

20. Here's another: http://www.aerospacemuseum.org/gillespie/ Gillespie
Field Annex From a small one-hangar beginning, the San Diego Aerospace
Museum's annex at Gillespie Field has grown to become an integral part of
the Museum's aircraft restoration and replica reproduction program.

21. At McMinnville, the museum is across the street from the airport. You
can park where ever you want (within reason) on the airport and it's a
relatively easy walk to the museum

22. The Museum of Flight, http://www.museumofflight.org/, right by the end
of BFI 13R.

23. The small Olympia museum. The Olympia museum is a nice small museum,
and there's an FBO right next door with lots of parking.

24. The Tillamook hangar. http://www.tillamookair.com Just wanted to add
to the Tillamook, Oregon listing. I live 10 minutes by RV-6 from the
Tillamook air museum. The building is almost as interesting as the aircraft.
It is an old WWll blimp hangar and is the largest wooden structure in the
world. There used to be two hangars but about 10 years ago one of them
burned down while being used to store hay.

25. The Warbird Museum in Titusville, FL is accessible from GA.
http://www.vacwarbirds.org Warbird Airshow- March 13 & 14, 2004 See site
for fly-in info.

26. Reading Airport, Reading PA has a museum you can easily walk to from
one of the FBOs.

27. The Shuttleworth Trust Museum, Biggleswade UK. Grass runway as I recall
but it has been at least 15 years since I was there.

28. Castle Air Museum, http://www.elite.net/castle-air/. Right next
door -- easy walking distance -- to KMER (Castle Airport, Merced), the old
Castle Airforce Base. (yes, you get 11,000' of runway to play with and an
apron built for dozens of B-52s on the way to the tiedowns). The museum
itself is great -- everything from an SR-71 and a B-52 to a Cessna "Blue
Canoe". I've spent several days there... (but the food there is dreadful).

29. The CAFÉ museum at Galveston and the Museum at Midland are both
accessible. I like the on in Galveston better, but the one in Midland has
more made up exhibits

30. Check this one out, I taxied right up to the front door and enjoyed the
visit: http://www.tnairmuseum.com/index2.html

31. The Staggerwing Museum at Tullahoma, Tennessee (THA).
www.staggerwing.com

32. Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight, near Lakeland, Fl.
http://www.fantasyofflight.com/ Note: Fantasy of Flight does not allow
individual fly-in. You must make prior arrangements and have a group of 10
or more planes. Or participate in the Florida Pilots Associations fly-in (h
ttp://www.floridapilot.com)

33. Tennessee Museum Of Aviation at Sevierville, TN (Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge
Airport GKT) http://www.tnairmuseum.com/

34. Carolinas Aviation Museum in Charlotte, NC (CLT)
http://www.chacweb.com/

35. Petticord Foundation for Aircraft Construction in Asheboro, NC (HBI)
(704) 359-8442

36. Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kitty Hawk, NC (FFA)
http://www.nps.gov/wrbr/indepth/grounds_menu.htm

37. Civil Air Patrol and Manteo Navy Aviation Air Station Museum in Manteo,
NC (MQI) http://www.fly2mqi.com/museum.asp

38. Lone Star Flight Museum, Galveston, Texas, KGLS. From their website at
www.lsfm.org -- "Fly-in visits areencouraged-Unicom 123.05"

39. Palm Springs Air Museum, Palm Springs Airport, CA (KPSP)
http://www.air-museum.org/

40. http://www.southernmuseumofflight.org/ Located at the airport in
Birmingham, Alabama. Two blocks from Birmingham International Airport.

41. The Owl's Head Transportation Museum in Owl's Head Maine (RKD).

42. The Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading, Pennsylvania, Carl Spatz Field
(KRDG) http://www.maam.org/ Request taxi to the museum. Open daily.
Don't miss their WW II weekends, usually the first weekend of June. "The
Museum's collection includes award-winning warbirds, classic airliners, rare
& unusual military and civilian aircraft and historic exhibits."

43, The New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, Bradley Intl
Airport (KBDL). http://www.neam.org/cont_about.htm Inquire FBO about a
courtesy shuttle to the museum. Open daily. Very nice museum. It has an
early Cub, maybe a J-2? No brakes, in any event. A Corsair with a stairs for
kids' tour groups; I sweet-talked the docent into letting me go up and sit
in the cockpit, a real thrill. A B-47 outdoors (maybe indoors now?) that I
also went through, since I was at a B-47 vets' reunion. A wonderful old
flying boat, with a vintage car to go with it. A gift shop with none of my
books in it

45. The Aviation Hall of Fame & Museum of New Jersey at Teterboro Airport,
(KTEB). http://www.njahof.org/ Open Tues-Sun 10-4. Not sure about ramp
or courtesy shuttles, KTEB can be extremely busy, so best to call ahead.

46. Hiller Aviation Museum at KSQL on the San Francisco Peninsula.
http://www.hiller.org/

47. Pacific Coast Air Museum, Santa Rosa, CA www.pacificcoastairmuseum.org

48. Castle Air Museum, A****er, CA www.elite.net/castle-air/

49. Wings of History Air Museum, San Martin, CA www.wingsofhistory.org

50. There is also a soaring museum at Morarity, NM and there are taxiways
all over the place.

51. http://www.ghostbase.org/tustin/hangars.htm " The Blimp Hangars as
MCAS Tustin are the largest free standing wooden structures in the Western
World, standing over 400 yards long, and over 18 stories high. Constructed
from wood that was sent pre-cut from Northwestern saw mills, these hangars
consist of the center wooden arch and the two door structures on each end.
Built to house anti-submarine Blimps during World War II, these structures
now serve as the hangars for helicopters of Marine Air Group 16. These
hangars were built in 1942, and are scheduled to be decommissioned in 1997."
Here's another pictu http://airshowsuperstore.com/hangars.shtml

52. Don't forget the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK
http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/

53. There is also a small helicopter museum at Lenhardt's Airpark in
Hubbard, Oregon.

54. Helicopter museum at Brandwine PA (N99) One of the prototype V-22 Osprey
sits in front.

55. Lexington KY has an air museum (KLEX) on the field that you can park in
front of.

56. Warhawk Air Museum located that the Nampa, Idaho airport (S67).
http://www.warhawkairmuseum.org/ or http://www.sadona.com/nampa_air/

57. Wildwood, New Jersey Naval Air Station museum http://www.usnasw.org/

58. Add another to your list: The Reynolds-Alberta Museum, at Wetaskiwin,
Alberta, Canada, ident CEX3, not far south of Edmonton. It's a great
collection of antique cars, trucks, tractors and airplanes. Right on the
airport http://www.eidnet.org/local/aqueduct/ram.htm

59. Victoria, BC's British Columbia Aviation Museum (http://www.bcam.net/)
have a nice collection of mostly non-flying aircraft, and a few flying ones.
They just (summer 2003) restored a Noorduyn Norseman to full flying status.
There are always several aircraft in the restoration hanger as well, which
is also open to the public. They're right on Victoria Int'l Airport (CYYJ)
grounds, and have a taxiway to the apron, but I'm not sure what the deal
would be about taxiing right to the Museum.

60. Valparaiso, IN - Indiana Aviation Museum http://www.in-am.org/ We offer
rides in the airplanes. I know Al Stix does rides at Creve Coeur also.

61. I believe the Robert Pond Air Museum on Palm Springs Airport also
provides visitor rides. The aircraft in this museum are restored to a
condition that probably exceeds that when they were newly constructed.

62. How about the Western Museum of Flight at Hawthorne Muni. in Los Angeles
(HHR) http://www.wmof.com/

62. http://www.americanairpowermuseum.com/ at KFRG farmingdale/republic NY.
On the NE side of the field in a hangar next to an FBO. The last time I was
there a WWII vet was giving a tour that was really good - including showing
us a piece of shrapnel that came out of him. I also attended the opening
that featured "Gabby" Gabreski. The museum tour seems to me to be
overpriced. They sometimes have a B17 and a B25 when they are not at shows
or otherwise generating revenue.

63. Quonset state KOQU http://www.airnav.com/airport/KOQU/QUONSET_AIR_MUSEUM
It is a short walk from the tower/field. (About 1/2 mile)

64. Don't think I saw any mention of the Florida Air Museum in Lakeland Fl
at the site of the Sun N Fun EAA fly in.

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/content/mus...section=museum

65. S.Jersey Regional (VAY) has the Air Victory Museum on field N
Kinston/Quonset R.I. (OQU) has an air museum on app.end Rwy 5

66.Schenectady NY (SCH) has the Empire State Air Museum on field

67. Milville NJ (MIV) uses the original operations building as a museum of
P47 memorabilia(sp?) from its training days in WWII. No aircraft but is
staffed w/people who worked or were stationed there during the war. .Good
diner also on the field

68. Farmingdale NY (FRG) has the American Airpower Museum on the east side
of the field. Good exhibits & some of the WWII a/c fly on weekends.

69. Hanger 25 in Big Spring, TX
http://www.hangar25airmuseum.com/main/index.asp

70. Frontiers of Flight in Dallas will be opening soon
http://www.flightmuseum.com/

71. The Texas Air Museum in Slaton, TX
http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueMA02/Slaton3402.html

72. Vintage Flying Museum in FtWorth, TX - "Chuckie" B-17
http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org/

73. http://www.ocair.com/newsreleases/ne...ch_16_1998.htm SANTA
ANA, CA - John Wayne Airport is pleased to announce that its administration
building has been officially dedicated the "Eddie Martin Building" and is
now home to the Eddie Martin Collection premiering early Orange County
aviation artifacts and memorabilia.

74. A big thing in these woods was to fly to Middlesboro, KY and see Glacier
Girl, the P-38 Lightning melted out of the deep Greenland Icecap, where she
lay buried since the forties. I take it she's still there, one of only a
half-dozen remaining Lightnings.
http://www.p38.com/glaciergirl/default.html

75. Atterbury-Bakalar Air Museum http://atterburybakalarairmuseum.org/
Columbus, Indiana - BAK It's very small but still has some interesting
exhibits. There is a restaurant in the terminal building but be advised
that it's closed on Sundays.

76.Creve Coeur (St. Louis MO). The Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum at
Creve Coeur, MO. Fly in, land on pavement or grass. If you come on Sunday
join the throng for lunch, $5 for a good carnivorous meal that the charge
must barely cover. Catch an eyeful of more antique rare and homebuilt
aircraft flying around than you'll see at most fly-ins

77. Crossing the Pond: Duxford, Imperial War Musuem, Cambridgeshire,
England Built on the WWI aerodrome (subsequently used by RAF SPits and USAAF
Mustangs), this living museum uses all of the original hangars for a
collection that is part static display, part restoration workshop, part
active hangar for some 50 or so flying warbrids. This is Mecca!!

78. That would be the Cavanaugh Flight Museum.
http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/

78. Another museum on an airport's grounds is: http://www.njahof.org/

79. Air Heritage Musem, Beaver County Airport (BVI), Beaver Falls, PA

80. Piper Museum, William T. Piper Memorial Airport (LHV), Lock Haven, PA

81 . There's a small museum at South Jersey Regional (VAY).

82. There's also one at Cape May County Airport, Cape May, NJ. (WWD). The
Cape May museum is called the NAS Wildwood Museum. It is small but nice.
In addition to the aircraft, they have a number of engines of various types
that can be viewed up close (radials to jets). Worth a visit if you're in
the area. http://www.usnasw.org/

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 10th 04, 04:02 AM
Jay Honeck

Is the spacing in this post as screwy looking on your computer as it is on
mine?

I compiled the list in a Word file, and then "copied and pasted" it into a
post. It looked fine when I sent it, but it sure looks dumb when I download
it.

Wonder why the formatting got so messed up?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 10th 04, 04:29 AM
karl

83 http://www.pearsonairmuseum.org/
Money for this museum (and a substantial portion of the Museum of Flight at
BFI comes from the Jack Murdock Foundation. He invented and manufactured the
first oscilloscope. Was killed in a Super-Cub. Loved aviation

84 http://mcallistermuseum.org/
Charley McAllister was a fixture in his skelitinized body at the Yakima
Airport. Truly one of aviations wild men.

85 Air Museum
PT Aero Museum - Future Home at Jefferson County International Airport
Port Townsend
Contact Jerry Thuotte - 360-437-0863

This museum already exists, Jerry takes abused and endangered kids off
the street and turns the into pilots and A&Ps.

They have many excellent antiques

Karl

Old January 10th 04, 04:32 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 19:29:56 -0800, "karl" wrote:

This museum already exists, Jerry takes abused and endangered kids off
the street and turns the into pilots and A&Ps.

Is there an age limit? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

#11 http://www.wingsofeagles.com/

National Warplane Museum
17 Aviation Drive
Horseheads, NY 14845
Phone: 607-739-8200
Fax: 607-739-8374

#15 http://www.bushplane.com/

#18 http://www.planesoffame.org/

#21 http://www.sprucegoose.org/

#23 http://www.olympicflightmuseum.com/

#26 http://www.maam.org/

#41 http://www.ohtm.org/

---- #42 and #26 are the same

WW

Old January 10th 04, 10:30 AM
Marty Shapiro

Jay -

One more for your list -

The Western Aerospace Museum (http://www.westernaerospacemuseum.org) is
located at KOAK (Oakland International Airport, Oakland, CA). It is about
2 blocks from the transient tie down at Kaiser Air, the GA FBO at OAK. (You
have to walk past the Alaska Airlines maintenance hangar and cross the
street). The Otis Spunkmeyer DC-3 is based at Kaiser Air.

One of their exhibits is a Short Solent 4-engine flying boat once owned by
Howard Hughes and used for interior shots in one of the Indiana Jones
movies (Temple of Doom, if I remember correctly).

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old January 10th 04, 12:43 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Great list! What about Hiller Aviation Museum www.hiller.org at the San
Carlos (SQL) airport in San Carlos, CA. It lies right on the airport
grounds. Also, I believe Hollister airport in Hollister, CA has a modest
museum on the field (could be wrong on this one,,, but I thought I saw a
sign for one, last time I was there.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text at:
www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

35. Petticord Foundation for Aircraft Construction in Asheboro, N (HBI)

Old January 10th 04, 06:20 PM
Snowbird

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:6PJLb.10916$I06.73967@attbi_s01...
Here's what we've got so far... Add more if you've got 'em!

Great job Jay!
Sydney
Old January 10th 04, 10:12 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

URLs and ESPECIALLY Cities and States must be added to some!
(For example, see #11. Where the HECK is "Elmira"??? And #21, too.)

That would be Elmira, NY (ELM).

11. The National Warplane Museum is right next door to the FBO at Elmira.

http://www.warplane.org

14. There's a small WWII museum at PUB (Pueblo, CO).

http://www.pwam.org

15. The Canadian Bushplane Museum is on the St. Marys river in Sault Ste.

http://www.bushplane.com

18. The Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, CA.

http://www.planesoffame.org

21. At McMinnville, the museum is across the street from the airport.

Assuming this to be McMinnville, OR, http://www.sprucegoose.org

23. The small Olympia museum.

http://www.olympicflightmuseum.com

26. Reading Airport, Reading PA has a museum you can easily walk to from
one of the FBOs.

This is a duplicate.

29. The CAFÉ museum at Galveston and the Museum at Midland are both
accessible. I like the on in Galveston better, but the one in Midland has
more made up exhibits

http://www.lsfm.org
http://www.airpowermuseum.org

35. Petticord Foundation for Aircraft Construction in Asheboro, NC (HBI)

No web site found.

41. The Owl's Head Transportation Museum in Owl's Head Maine (RKD).

http://ohtm.org

50. There is also a soaring museum at Morarity, NM and there are taxiways
all over the place.

No web site found.

53. There is also a small helicopter museum at Lenhardt's Airpark

http://www.LenhardtAirpark.com

54. Helicopter museum at Brandwine PA (N99)

http://www.helicoptermuseum.org

55. Lexington KY has an air museum (KLEX) on the field

http://www.aviationky.org

61. I believe the Robert Pond Air Museum on Palm Springs Airport

http://www.air-museum.org

65. S.Jersey Regional (VAY) has the Air Victory Museum on field

http://www.airvictorymuseum.org

N Kinston/Quonset R.I. (OQU) has an air museum on app.end Rwy 5

http://users.ids.net/~qam/qam

66.Schenectady NY (SCH) has the Empire State Air Museum on field

http://www.esam.org

67. Milville NJ (MIV)

http://www.p47millville.org

76.Creve Coeur (St. Louis MO).

http://historicaircraftrestorationmuseum.org

79. Air Heritage Musem, Beaver County Airport (BVI), Beaver Falls, PA

http://trfn.clpgh.org/ah

80. Piper Museum, William T. Piper Memorial Airport (LHV), Lock Haven, PA

http://www.pipermuseum.com

81 . There's a small museum at South Jersey Regional (VAY).

Duplicate.

I also found this while prowling around - "The Yakima Airport (a small one, folks)
is home to the McAllister Museum of Aviation."

Also check out http://www.skytamer.com/museums . You might just want to put up a
link to this site.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 10th 04, 10:17 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Is the spacing in this post as screwy looking on your computer as it is on
mine?

I compiled the list in a Word file, and then "copied and pasted" it into a
post. It looked fine when I sent it, but it sure looks dumb when I download
it.

When you copy stuff from Word, remember that you didn't type in any carraige
returns in the Word file. You have to add those to your post. If you don't, your
mail window may wrap the lines so that it looks ok to you, but your newsreader
window may not, and there will certainly be others for which it will not display
well.

Also. If you have numbered lists in Word and copy those over, they just go in as
text, including the numbers. You will lose the indentation of the text. This also
has to be put in by hand.