2-stroke diesel is the (near) future?

Old May 13th 05, 11:39 PM
Morgans

"Steve" wrote

As already stated, 2-stroke diesels really don't have a power-to-weight
advantage over 4-strokes. They still have to have a camshaft and
exhaust valves (they aren't like weed whacker engines, you know), so
they don't save that weight. Plus they have to have a blower for
scavenge air. The only area where they save weight is in that the
connecting rod and crank can be lighter, and that only helps offset the
added weight of the blower.

How about the fact that they have power pulses in each revolution? They
could possibly have half the displacement, and still get the same power, (or
close to it) with less weight than the double displacement 4 cycle. Yes,
the blower weight is added, but it is nice to make good power, way up there.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 13th 05, 11:55 PM
Morgans

"Sport Pilot" wrote in message
oups.com...
So what I often transpose letters. I don't spend time proofreading
something as trivial as a usenet messsage.

Yur lak of ettension tu detale makes ti seam lik yu dounut giv a dam. Ti si
knot heard too tack a secant adn pruff reed a poust.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 14th 05, 12:09 AM
Richard Isakson

"Sport Pilot" wrote ...
Got cut off some how.

Actually I thought I had decided not to send it, and came back and some
how hit the enter key.

A long time ago I was working for small airline and I was asked to evaluate
any letters from the pilots that were sent to flight ops. I was acting as
filter for the Director of Flight Ops. Now, as a class, pilots aren't too
bright and none of them can spell but when I hit the fourth misspellled word
I'd throw the thing in the trash can. "This guy can't know what he's
talking about." It was done at a subconscious level. It takes me a while
to figure things out but I shared their contempt for spelling in my own
writing. It finally dawned on me that if I look down at bad speellers then
other people must look down my work. It's human nature and you can"t fight
it. If you want your work to be accepted then you have to project an image
of intellect.

Rich

Old May 14th 05, 12:24 AM
Frank van der Hulst

Steve wrote:
Sport Pilot wrote:
Sooo. I oftern transpose letters, I don't proofread something as
triavil as usenet messages.

Its one thing to have the occasional typo, but typing a constant run-on
of misspelled and non-punctuated text just screams "I'm a moron!" to the
world.

Actually, what it screams is "I am dyslexic".

The ignorant often confuse dyslexia with (e.g.) being a moron.

However, failure to proofread, perhaps especially if dyslexic, does
indicate that he doesn't expect us to value what he's writing, which in
turn suggests that he doesn't think its worth much either. In a world
full of ignorance, a wise dyslexic would use a spelling and/or grammar
checker on anything he wanted taken seriously.

Frank

Old May 14th 05, 12:53 AM
Luke Scharf

Steve wrote:
But there are more and more small diesels that run just as fast as
gasoline engines. There's no fundamental limit thats any different than
a gasoline engine, really, but up until now there's not been a demand
for high-RPM diesels.

When I was reading about the Volkswagen TDI engine, I vaguely remember
coming across someone who said that the redline of that engine was set
by the speed which which the burning fuel expanded.

Sounds rather fundamental to me - but, then again, I'm a computer guy.

-Luke
Old May 14th 05, 12:58 AM
LCT Paintball

writing. It finally dawned on me that if I look down at bad speellers
then

Please tell me you did that on purpose.

Old May 14th 05, 02:00 AM
Richard Isakson

"LCT Paintball" wrote ...
writing. It finally dawned on me that if I look down at bad speellers
then

Please tell me you did that on purpose.

Usenet Rule #5: "All posts complaining about spelling must themselves
contain at least one misspeeling".

Rich

Old May 14th 05, 03:06 AM
LCT Paintball

Usenet Rule #5: "All posts complaining about spelling must themselves
contain at least one misspeeling".

Rich

Sorry, I missed that memo.
For the record, I disagree with you. I cannot spell, but I'm no idiot. Some
people are good at math, others are athletic, and others can spell. Just
because it's easy for you doesn't mean it is for others.

Old May 14th 05, 03:21 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:52:00 -0500, "MJC" wrote:

"Andrew P." wrote in message
link.net...
Wandering aimlessly about the Web, I heard Sport Pilot say:
You have most of it right. Some things you have wrong,

1. Desiel injection timing is differant than on an Otto engine. The
fuel is injected during the intake cycle on the Otto engine and the
fuel is injected during the ignition cycle on the Desiel. On the
Desiel the fuel injection cycle starts just before TDC and ends well
after TDC. The fuel ignites as soon as it hits the hot air.

etc., etc. --- SNIP ---

It's Diesel, not "Desiel".

--
Andrew P.

Well if you're going to get picky, it's "Auto" engine, not "Otto" engine.

MJC

No, it is OTTO, named after the guy who invented the "otto cycle"
engine - just like Diesel is named after the guy who invented the
compression ignition or "diesel cycle" engine.