Flying from San Jose into Las Vegas

Old June 28th 05, 05:44 PM
Amandasdaddy

Default Flying from San Jose into Las Vegas

HND Henderson Executive
LAS McCarran International
LSV Nellis Afb
VGT North Las Vegas

I am travelling to Las Vegas and am thinking about flying my 172RG
from Reid Hillview in San Jose to Henderson Exec in Vegas.

I'm concerned about crossing the mountains and conditions getting
into LV. I was hoping someone could give me some idea how the trip is
from this area. I recently flew from Florida to San Jose in this RG,
so I'm familiar enough with it to pilot the trip - but I wanted to get
an idea from this group - maybe from someone who has done this trip
before.

Thanks

Brian

Old June 28th 05, 07:10 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
"Amandasdaddy" wrote:

HND Henderson Executive
LAS McCarran International
LSV Nellis Afb
VGT North Las Vegas

I am travelling to Las Vegas and am thinking about flying my 172RG
from Reid Hillview in San Jose to Henderson Exec in Vegas.

I'm concerned about crossing the mountains and conditions getting
into LV. I was hoping someone could give me some idea how the trip is
from this area. I recently flew from Florida to San Jose in this RG,
so I'm familiar enough with it to pilot the trip - but I wanted to get
an idea from this group - maybe from someone who has done this trip
before.

Thanks

Brian

The easy route is to go down the Central Valley, to Tehachapi,
circumvent the Edwards AFB restricted area, and then into Las Vegas.
That way, you miss the really high terrain (Mt. Whitney is along the
direct route). If the weather is clear, with little wind, the direct
route is nice; however, if there is much wind present, the Sierras can
generate significant mountain waves and severe turbulence -- especially
where they terminate at the Owens Valley.

Old June 28th 05, 07:42 PM
Seth Masia

I cross the Sierra once or twice a month, from Concord. I've gone into VGT
and HND -- and prefer VGT for no very good reason.

Concerns:

1. Service ceiling and climb rate. You need 14,500 to get across the
highest peaks. It's easier eastbound because the wind helps carry you over.
Westbound you're climbing into the lee-slope downdrafts, at high density
altitude. If wind aloft is more than 25 knots I'd delay the trip. Wind
also means roiling turbulence in the Owens Valley.

2. Mountain obscuration. Pick a clear day, or one with scattered cu. Go
early in the day before cu starts to build and when the desert air hasn't
started boiling.

3. Restricted areas. These are easy to avoid.

4. I like to fly the lower passes. You can go through safely at 11,500
southwest of Mammoth Mountain (pick up Victor 230 due east of Mariposa (O68)
or 12,500 through Piute Pass, Taboose, or Kearsarge. But you need 2000 feet
above terrain over the the wilderness areas, so plan for that. This time of
year if there's cu the cloud bases are often at 13,000 so you get squeezed
between legal wilderness clearance and legal cloud clearance.

5. There's lower terrain further south but it's a helluva long way around
the south end of the High Desert restricted airspace, which goes all the way
to the moon -- all the way to Palmdale. That's too far unless there's
weather over the mountains.

It's a beautiful flight. Have fun.

oups.com...

Old June 29th 05, 01:50 AM
BTIZ

If you are making a trip on a weekend, normally you can get a clearance
through most of the restricted airspaces both around China Lake NAS and
Edwards AFB. If you can't get the clearance, normally the MOAs are clear and
you can cross over the Sierra's near Lake Isabelle, then to Inyokern, Trona
and then direct into LAS (HND/VGT). I've never had a problem on weekends.
Don't expect to get a clearance through the restricted areas around Ft
Irwin.

If you do decide to go farther south through Tehachapi, then you may get a
clearance across the Edwards AFB airspace direct to Dagget area to go south
of Ft Irwin instead of north.

Someone mentioned crossing near Mammoth and Bishop, that would take you into
the MOAs north of the China Lake NAS restricted area and should be clear
sailing into LAS.

You want to talk to Joshua Approach for flight following through the MOAs
and clearance through the restricted areas.

BT

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news