Ebay for new headsets??

Old August 24th 05, 11:43 PM
Charles Talleyrand

Default Ebay for new headsets??

I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
Sportys? Any advice at all?

-Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

Old August 25th 05, 12:16 AM
john smith

Charles Talleyrand wrote:
I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
Sportys? Any advice at all?

Don't buy cheap. Buy quality, buy once.
Old August 25th 05, 03:25 AM
George Patterson

Charles Talleyrand wrote:
I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
Sportys? Any advice at all?

Figure out what sets you are willing to buy and how much you are willing to pay
for a used set. Ebay is a fine place to pick up bargains if you know what you
want and what you're willing to pay for it. Don't bid on some brand you've never
heard of just 'cause you can get it cheap.

If you decide to buy new, look at the ads in Trade-A-Plane and call to get the
actual prices. Many companies sell headsets for less than their advertised price.

George Patterson
Old August 25th 05, 03:53 AM
W P Dixon

I got my headset from ebay and am tickled with it! An AVCOM Model 200 for 40
bucks. Was barely even used. Fellow had bought them for passengers and just
rarely used them. They may not be top of the line but for my purposes they
do a great job! So by all means shop on ebay , you may get lucky and find
exxactly what you want. And like George says , I would stay away from the
brands I had never heard of as well.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old August 25th 05, 05:25 AM
Juan Jimenez

Get a nice regular headset and buy the headset's inc ANR upgrade. takes an
hour to install and works great.

oups.com...

Old August 25th 05, 06:39 AM
Ron Garret

In article ,
john smith wrote:

Charles Talleyrand wrote:
I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
Sportys? Any advice at all?

Don't buy cheap. Buy quality, buy once.

Buy Peltor.

I bought my Peltor headset nine years ago and although now I could
easily afford to buy myself any headset on the market (including the
Bose X) I don't bother because my Peltor still works just fine. I wore
it for four hours just the other day with a fancy Clarity Aloft headset
(for my wife when she's along) sitting in my flight bag. My Peltor is
so comfortable it wasn't even worth the bother to dig the fancy set out
of the bag.

rg
Old August 25th 05, 07:43 AM
Peter Duniho

"Ron Garret" wrote in message
Don't buy cheap. Buy quality, buy once.

Buy Peltor.

I can second this recommendation for passive headsets. However, like the
person who started a different headset-related thread, my experience with
their ANR headsets has not been stellar.

The passive headsets are extremely comfortable, have very good noise
attenuation, and fold up nice and small. For passive, it's hard for me to
imagine something that could be better.

Pete

Old August 25th 05, 01:09 PM
Thomas Borchert

Charles,

I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,

By a pilot-shop-branded derivative of the LightSPEED QFR XCc, as
available at avshop.com, Gulfcoast Avionics and others. At about 250 $,
that's your best bet, really.

You won't get the best ANR, however, and my personal opinion is that it
is not smart to cut corner in buying headsets. It's easily the most
important piece of pilot equipment. So, get a decent ANR headset, e.g.
the Lightspeed 20XLc. Why the bias on Lightspeed? They simply offer the
best value.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 25th 05, 02:27 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Thomas Borchert wrote:

: By a pilot-shop-branded derivative of the LightSPEED QFR XCc, as
: available at avshop.com, Gulfcoast Avionics and others. At about 250 $,
: that's your best bet, really.

: You won't get the best ANR, however, and my personal opinion is that it
: is not smart to cut corner in buying headsets. It's easily the most
: important piece of pilot equipment. So, get a decent ANR headset, e.g.
: the Lightspeed 20XLc. Why the bias on Lightspeed? They simply offer the
: best value.

My experience has been that the Lightspeed XC is a "better" headset than the 15/20/25's. The reason? MUCH
better passive. The "higher-end" Lightspeeds have a definate wow-factor with the ANR, but it's at the expense of
higher frequencies. I found some data on the 'net that these have some spillover in the 1-2kHz range, so they
actually *amplify* the noise in those frequencies. Of course that's after the passives, but still.... and I'm
particularly sensitive to those frequencies. I much prefer the excellant passive and moderate active (in the low
frequencies) on the X-Country.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old August 25th 05, 03:58 PM
George Patterson

Ron Garret wrote:

Buy Peltor.

Before you do that, you might want to read the thread started by the guy who
just got an estimate of $700+ for repairs on his.

George Patterson

Ebay for new headsets?? Charles Talleyrand Owning 21 August 27th 05 01:17 AM
Entry Level Headsets Mark Morissette Piloting 12 April 28th 05 02:29 PM
Ebay Helicopters Jim Rotorcraft 0 September 29th 04 07:17 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Owning 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM
Pilot Headsets for Sale on Ebay Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 October 9th 03 07:19 PM