Written Test

Old August 24th 05, 12:41 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

RomeoMike wrote:
You'll do fine. It seems to me I scored an 86 on private, 89 on instrument
, 88 on commercial and 92 on ATP-135. I only attended ground schools for the
instrument and commercial (I lack discipline when it comes to studying).

It would have become a massive PITA to be sure. I know I sure used those sample
question books extensively to get ready for each written.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old August 24th 05, 06:07 PM
Robert M. Gary

In my opinion, anyone who is willing to put $80 on the line to take the
test, is probably ready for the test. I still don't understand why the
FAA requires us to give endorsements for private, instrument, and
commercial (ATPs and CFIs don't need endorsements). I once asked the
Sac FSDO if they kept track of CFI/CGIs who had students fail the
written. They got a pretty good laugh out of that!

-Robert, CFI

Old August 24th 05, 06:08 PM
Robert M. Gary

I'll agree with you on the FOI but I'd bet you could pass the IFR
(which is also the CFII).

-Robert, CFI

Old August 24th 05, 09:57 PM
Michael

I'll agree with you on the FOI but I'd bet you could pass the IFR

You sure? I'm not.

Do you remember how to do the wingtip bearing problems? You can't just
solve them exactly as trig problems - that gives you the wrong answer.
You need to use the official, approved approximation.

How about those HSI/RMI problems where you have to remember which way
to turn the knob to fix the slaving error? Remember - it's not like
real life where if it goes the wrong way you can just turn it the other
way.

What instrument is secondary when rolling into a standard rate turn?
For that matter, what instrument is primary?

How many satellites in the GPS constellation? How many miles is the
MLS azimuth information good for? What is the effective radius of an
H-class VORTAC at 16,000 ft?

What about those flight planning problems? The choices for some of the
answers differ by less than 2%, and you better remember how the FAA
wants you to interpolate winds. Hint - the correct method (vector
addition) gets you closer to a wrong answer than to the right one.

Do you remember what all the symbols on all the oddball weather charts
mean? I don't. The only RADAR chart I ever use anymore is the NEXRAD
graphic. For that matter, do you remember the oddball abbreviations in
TAF's and METAR's? Not just the easy stuff, like ceilings and
altitudes, but stuff like A02, SLP, and RAE 54? I know there are some
I forgot.

Too much of the test is useless crap. I've gone through that material
three times - once for my IFR, once for my CFII, and once for my ATP.
I had to memorize a lot of stuff each time, because it was totally
useless and I simply forgot. Maybe I would pass - but it would be a
skin-of-my-teeth pass. And maybe I wouldn't.

Michael

Old August 27th 05, 02:09 AM
W P Dixon

Well I took it,
For the record , there are questions on the test that were not in the
question/answer study book from Gleim. Just a heads up for anyone planning
on taking it. Yep, I did pass, but I was not happy with my score of 78. All
the test I took online the past 2 days I was making 95's, so I was a little
upset with myself. But hey, I should have spent some more time studying the
books instead of just the question/answer thing! So I passed but I really
should have done better. But I do thank everyone for their input and advice.
Even if I had of waited to take the test it would not have made any
difference because I was studying the wrong thing! So hit the books as
much as the question/answer guide I am sure they added more questions than
just the ones I had. But I am happy to have that part done and over..cause
LORD I hate tests! HAHA Got done and out of there ! Hopped in my truck and
"Back In Black"-AC/DC was playing...so it was a pretty good day