Terminology Ques: 5 mile turn vs. delay vectors

Old May 12th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Gerald S.

Default Terminology Ques: 5 mile turn vs. delay vectors

The other day I was doing multiple approaches under the hood. I needed
an extra minute or two to setup for the next approach and requested a "5
mile turn." From my understanding, this means that while on downwind to
not turn me until 5 miles from the FAF. The controller didn't
understand. I thought maybe he didn't hear me clearly so I repeated a
"requesting a 5 mile turn." He said, "I don't know what that is." I
then said, "let me try this, how about delay vectors." That did the
trick. I thought a "X mile turn" is standard terminology. Is it not?

Gerald Sylvester

Old May 12th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

I thought maybe he didn't hear me clearly so I repeated a "requesting a 5 mile turn." He said, "I don't know what that is."

Why not tell him? "Could you vector me to final five miles out?"

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
Old May 12th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

I don't fly very often, but I remember "five mile turn" being relevant to
holding patterns. Rather than timing the legs of a hold you request the
hold legs be distance-based. I've not heard of the term used as you were
trying to use it, but that's why I read this NG.

--

Scott

Old May 12th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"tscottme" wrote in message
. ..

I don't fly very often, but I remember "five mile turn" being relevant to
holding patterns. Rather than timing the legs of a hold you request the
hold legs be distance-based. I've not heard of the term used as you were
trying to use it, but that's why I read this NG.

That would be five mile legs.

Old May 12th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Can you find it in the Pilot/Controller Glossary?

Bob Gardner
SAY AGAIN, PLEASE

t...

Old May 13th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 05/12/07 15:38, Bob Gardner wrote:
Can you find it in the Pilot/Controller Glossary?

Can you find Delay Vectors in there? ;-)

Bob Gardner
SAY AGAIN, PLEASE

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old May 13th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Good point, and I don't have a pat answer. I do know that controllers react
appropriately to a request for delay vectors, however.

Bob Gardner

Old May 15th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Brad[_1_]

On May 13, 4:16 pm, "Bob Gardner" wrote:
Good point, and I don't have a pat answer. I do know that controllers react
appropriately to a request for delay vectors, however.

Bob Gardner

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

On 05/12/07 15:38, Bob Gardner wrote:
Can you find it in the Pilot/Controller Glossary?

Can you find Delay Vectors in there? ;-)

Bob Gardner
SAY AGAIN, PLEASE

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA- Hide quoted text -

And occasionally you'll need to speak plain language when standard
phraseology doesn't work. "Vector" is standard phraseology, but the
words "Request" and "Delay" don't stand on their own in the P/CG. I
agree with Jose, just ask him in English what you want.

Old May 15th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Brad[_1_]

On May 12, 5:29 pm, "Gerald S." wrote:
The other day I was doing multiple approaches under the hood. I needed
an extra minute or two to setup for the next approach and requested a "5
mile turn." From my understanding, this means that while on downwind to
not turn me until 5 miles from the FAF. The controller didn't
understand. I thought maybe he didn't hear me clearly so I repeated a
"requesting a 5 mile turn." He said, "I don't know what that is." I
then said, "let me try this, how about delay vectors." That did the
trick. I thought a "X mile turn" is standard terminology. Is it not?

Gerald Sylvester

I'm a CFII, and I've never heard it phrased that way. Could be a
local thing. My request would sound something like: "Blahba Approach,
Skyhawk 123YZ requesting ILS 36 approach Hooterville; requesting
vectors for a 5 mile intercept prior to FAF (the name of the Final
Approach fix)"

bad vectors, no hand off Lurker Instrument Flight Rules 23 February 13th 07 11:03 PM
Ques [email protected] Home Built 1 January 4th 06 07:32 AM
Vectors over water paul kgyy Instrument Flight Rules 22 May 4th 05 09:15 PM
ques about IFR "certification" john freeman Piloting 10 September 23rd 04 02:45 PM
Navy, Marine leaders urge no delay in Joint Strike Fighter program Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 0 March 18th 04 05:11 PM