4130 can't be OA welded?

Old December 28th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Default 4130 can't be OA welded?

While browsing a bit more of that "good 'ole internet wizdom", I ran
accross this page:

http://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalIn...materials.html

Its a human-powered vehicle website, but on this page, the author
seems to think that 4130 cro-mo steel can't be welded with an oxy-
acetylene torch. Does this sound right? It was always my belief that
we've been OA welding airplanes out of the stuff for decades. Who is
wrong on this point?

Harry "I'm still stuck in the wood-age" Frey

Old December 28th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

"wright1902glider" wrote in message
While browsing a bit more of that "good 'ole internet wizdom", I ran
accross this page:

http://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalIn...materials.html

Its a human-powered vehicle website, but on this page, the author
seems to think that 4130 cro-mo steel can't be welded with an oxy-
acetylene torch. Does this sound right? It was always my belief that
we've been OA welding airplanes out of the stuff for decades. Who is
wrong on this point?

Harry "I'm still stuck in the wood-age" Frey

It's BS

IMHO 4130 is easier to weld with OA than mild steel.

Old December 29th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"wright1902glider" wrote in message
While browsing a bit more of that "good 'ole internet wizdom", I ran
accross this page:

http://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalIn...materials.html

Its a human-powered vehicle website, but on this page, the author
seems to think that 4130 cro-mo steel can't be welded with an oxy-
acetylene torch. Does this sound right? It was always my belief that
we've been OA welding airplanes out of the stuff for decades. Who is
wrong on this point?

Last airplane I rode in was Oxyen Acetylene welded 4130...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old December 29th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anyolmouse

"wright1902glider" wrote in message
| While browsing a bit more of that "good 'ole internet wizdom", I ran
| accross this page:
|
| http://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalIn...materials.html
|
| Its a human-powered vehicle website, but on this page, the author
| seems to think that 4130 cro-mo steel can't be welded with an oxy-
| acetylene torch. Does this sound right? It was always my belief that
| we've been OA welding airplanes out of the stuff for decades. Who is
| wrong on this point?
|
| Harry "I'm still stuck in the wood-age" Frey

For many years that was the only approved method. Then along came TIG
welding.

--
Anyolmouse

Old December 29th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Dec 28, 2:57 pm, wright1902glider wrote:
the author
seems to think that 4130 cro-mo steel can't be welded with an oxy-
acetylene torch.

Pure bull****. Indeed, for the stresses encountered in bicycles
(which is what he's talking about) there are any number of BRAZING
compounds that yield joints stronger than than normalized 4130.

O/A does just fine airframes... and for bike frames.

Old December 29th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

wright1902glider wrote:

While browsing a bit more of that "good 'ole internet wizdom", I ran
accross this page:

http://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalIn...materials.html

Its a human-powered vehicle website, but on this page, the author
seems to think that 4130 cro-mo steel can't be welded with an oxy-
acetylene torch. Does this sound right? It was always my belief that
we've been OA welding airplanes out of the stuff for decades. Who is
wrong on this point?

Harry "I'm still stuck in the wood-age" Frey

Depends on who is doing the welding!
Old December 29th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Dec 28, 6:28 pm, "Anyolmouse" wrote:

For many years that was the only approved method. Then along came TIG
welding.

American Champion has been using MIG for years now. Quicker
and easier than TIG. But their tubing tends to be heavier, too, which
makes MIG an easy option.

Dan

Old December 29th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anyolmouse

wrote in message
| On Dec 28, 6:28 pm, "Anyolmouse" wrote:
|
| For many years that was the only approved method. Then along came
TIG
| welding.
|
| American Champion has been using MIG for years now. Quicker
| and easier than TIG. But their tubing tends to be heavier, too, which
| makes MIG an easy option.
|
| Dan

I didn't know that it was approved for aircraft.

--
Anyolmouse

Old December 29th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Dec 29, 8:09 am, "Anyolmouse" wrote:
wrote in message

| On Dec 28, 6:28 pm, "Anyolmouse" wrote:
|
| For many years that was the only approved method. Then along came
TIG
| welding.
|
| American Champion has been using MIG for years now. Quicker
| and easier than TIG. But their tubing tends to be heavier, too, which
| makes MIG an easy option.
|
| Dan

I didn't know that it was approved for aircraft.

It's approved by manufacturer's drawings. The manufacturer
will call for welds as per their own welding specs, and those specs
plus the airframe drawings are approved by the FAA. We sometimes find
industrial hardware or other "uncertified" parts on airplanes, and
they're approved by their presence on the drawings. For example,
American Champion uses a cheap industrial clip nut on their cowling
installations that has no locking feature and it's really soft so it
cross-threads easily. And is forever falling off or sliding out of
place. This is fixed using the minor modification provisions of the
applicable country's aircraft maintenance laws, replacing those stupid
things with real aircraft hardware.

Dan

Old December 29th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anyolmouse

wrote in message
| On Dec 29, 8:09 am, "Anyolmouse" wrote:
| wrote in message

| | On Dec 28, 6:28 pm, "Anyolmouse"
wrote:
| |
| | For many years that was the only approved method. Then along
came
| TIG
| | welding.
| |
| | American Champion has been using MIG for years now.
Quicker
| | and easier than TIG. But their tubing tends to be heavier, too,
which
| | makes MIG an easy option.
| |
| | Dan
| |

| I didn't know that it was approved for aircraft.
|
| It's approved by manufacturer's drawings. The manufacturer
| will call for welds as per their own welding specs, and those specs
| plus the airframe drawings are approved by the FAA. We sometimes find
| industrial hardware or other "uncertified" parts on airplanes, and
| they're approved by their presence on the drawings. For example,
| American Champion uses a cheap industrial clip nut on their cowling
| installations that has no locking feature and it's really soft so it
| cross-threads easily. And is forever falling off or sliding out of
| place. This is fixed using the minor modification provisions of the
| applicable country's aircraft maintenance laws, replacing those stupid
| things with real aircraft hardware.
|
| Dan

Thanks,

--
Anyolmouse

4130 sheet log Home Built 4 September 1st 04 01:42 AM
4130 - bad news... Richard Lamb Home Built 28 May 17th 04 04:08 PM
IS the US out of 4130 Steel? mallakka Owning 0 April 21st 04 10:48 AM
Why 4130 tube? Leon McAtee Home Built 31 March 28th 04 03:04 PM
4130 frame? Steve Thomas Home Built 23 August 27th 03 05:50 PM