MS20074-05-24 bolts

Old January 3rd 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default MS20074-05-24 bolts

Recent quote for 16 of these bolts was about $20.00 each!! Anyone out there
with a less expensive source?

Old January 3rd 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig601XLBuilder

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
Recent quote for 16 of these bolts was about $20.00 each!! Anyone out there
with a less expensive source?

I was going to suggest www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com but they don't list
that bolt. They list about 20 other MS200074 bolts but not that one. You
might call them and see if they can get it because at 16 you are in
their 50% discount level.
Old January 4th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message news
Recent quote for 16 of these bolts was about $20.00 each!! Anyone out there with a less expensive source?

Ask about NASM20074-05-24

Old January 4th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 3, 2:45*pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
Recent quote for 16 of these bolts was about $20.00 each!! *Anyone out there
with a less expensive source?

Since I presume you're dealing with an experimental aircraft, and a
MS20074 bolt is a coarse thread (the only coarse thread aircraft
structural bolt I know of), 125 ksi, drilled head hex bolt, why not
just use a grade 5 or grade 8 auto bolt? They are quite good quality
if you buy from the right source. Try some of the race car suppliers
maybe.

Regards,
Bud
Old January 4th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
Well, I use 4 of these bolts in the "Jesus" bolt position whose job is to
keep my my entire rotor blade system from departing like a kids toy. Yes,
I want to be 500' in the air not even wondering if I got the bolts that I
thought I did.

Stu
"Maxwell" wrote in message

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 2:45 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

Recent quote for 16 of these bolts was about $20.00 each!! Anyone out
there
with a less expensive source?

Since I presume you're dealing with an experimental aircraft, and a
MS20074 bolt is a coarse thread (the only coarse thread aircraft
structural bolt I know of), 125 ksi, drilled head hex bolt, why not
just use a grade 5 or grade 8 auto bolt? They are quite good quality
if you buy from the right source. Try some of the race car suppliers
maybe.

Regards,
Bud

It might be quite good quality - or it might be junk.

How are you going to know???

If you go with a quailty manufacturer that will certify the grade,
specify rolled threads, and have them individually magnafluxed, you
should be good to go.

Well in that case I think I would consider having them independently
inspected even if I purchased AN certified hardware. I don't think it is
horribly expensive.

Old January 4th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 4, 10:12*am, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
[...]

to go.- Hide quoted text -

I agree that I would want top quality for the "Jesus" nut as we used
to call them. I also agree with the others that I wouldn't complain
about $80 for them. Not the place to try and save money in my opinion.
As for not knowing what you have, ARP makes bolts for racing cars that
are made to the same AMS (aerospace metallurgical standard) specs as
aircraft. I doubt that they will be any cheaper however. They make big
end rod bolts to 300 ksi using Aermet 100, the strongest structural
metal available. They probably cost as much or more as any MS bolt. As
I said, MS20074 bolts are only 125,000 psi strength bolts, and since
they are coarse thread, are not as strong as an AN bolt in tension.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/

Regards,
Bud

Needed 4 socket cap bolts Udo Soaring 2 November 29th 07 02:21 PM
Torque for prop bolts Scott Home Built 15 August 29th 06 02:58 PM
Metric Aircraft Nuts and Bolts John Scott Soaring 6 December 14th 05 08:54 PM
Oversized bolts Kjell Sivertsen Owning 7 April 14th 05 05:02 AM
Source for Bolts Dave Home Built 2 May 20th 04 08:09 PM