Is this the death of GA

Old February 23rd 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Is this the death of GA

I had an airplane that I had to sacrifice for graduate school 4 years
ago. Now finish and looking to get back in the game, I find local
avgas prices in my area range from over $6 to over $7!!! (Up from
$2.30).

I know the price of gas has gone up but man, those increases have been
amplified in aviation. It looks like I am going to have to take up
sailboating instead.
Old February 23rd 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Feb 23, 9:41*am, "
wrote:
I had an airplane that I had to sacrifice for graduate school 4 years
ago. Now finish and looking to get back in the game, I find local
avgas prices in my area range from over $6 to over $7!!! (Up from
$2.30).

I know the price of gas has gone up but man, those increases have been
amplified in aviation. It looks like I am going to have to take up
sailboating instead.

Don't think so, from the looks of all these new ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cLCM...eature=related

Check out 3:29, Looks like a New Cri Cri. At 4:11 Looks lik a New
AeroCar.

Wil
Old February 23rd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

wrote in message
I had an airplane that I had to sacrifice for graduate school 4 years
ago. Now finish and looking to get back in the game, I find local
avgas prices in my area range from over $6 to over $7!!! (Up from
$2.30).

I know the price of gas has gone up but man, those increases have been
amplified in aviation. It looks like I am going to have to take up
sailboating instead.

If it was cheap and easy, everyone would be doing to.

Old February 23rd 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

On Feb 23, 9:41*am, "
wrote:
I had an airplane that I had to sacrifice for graduate school 4 years
ago. Now finish and looking to get back in the game, I find local
avgas prices in my area range from over $6 to over $7!!! (Up from
$2.30).

Have you tried the www.100ll.com site to find the cheapest avgas
price in your area? Full service FBO at large airports typically
charges a lot more than self-serve pumps at smaller airports. For
example, I had just checked the site for avgas price at KBUF in
comparison to the little next door airport KBQR in Buffalo, NY. KBUF
full service 100LL is $4.93 vs. $4.09 at KBQR.
Avgas has risen in the last few years, but the same goes with auto
gas. In my area, we are paying $4.05 for avgas and $3.65 or so for
premium gasoline so the price difference is quite small. I recalled
that for several times last year, avgas prices were lower than auto
gas prices.
I was just browsing an aviation forum today and was amused to read
a post stating that flying was an expensive addiction but it was still
cheaper than drug, alcohol or a mistress ;-)
For us, the biggest flying expenses have always been maintenance
and upkeep. We had just received a $900 bill from our A&P for fixing
a broken flap bracket and replacing the flap cable. It was $64 for
the parts and over $800 for labor. This was with my husband doing all
the grunt work!
Flying expense is a big part of our living budget, but it has been
an indispensable part ever since we stepped in a small cockpit, pulled
up the yokes and transformed ourselves into inhabitants of the sky. So
I will continue to skimp and save, drive my 15-year old car to the
ground, bake my own bread, don't eat out, wear my threadbare socks
until they become too 'holy' etc., saving a dollar here and a dollar
there to maintain my sky membership.

Hai Longworth
Old February 23rd 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

So
I will continue to skimp and save, drive my 15-year old car to the
ground, bake my own bread, don't eat out, wear my threadbare socks
until they become too 'holy' etc., saving a dollar here and a dollar
there to maintain my sky membership.

Hai Longworth

Where were you when I was young and single... Jeez, some guys have all
the luck...

denny

Old February 23rd 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

If it was cheap and easy, everyone would be doing to.

If it's difficult and expensive, it may dwindle until the general public
begins to wonder why they put up with it.
Old February 23rd 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Steve Foley writes:

If it was cheap and easy, everyone would be doing to.

If it's difficult and expensive, it may dwindle until the general public
begins to wonder why they put up with it.

Yeh, right. So, you're an idiot with no sense of humor and you're lame.

We get it.

Bertie

Old February 23rd 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Feb 24, 5:39*am, Longworth wrote:
On Feb 23, 9:41*am, "
wrote:

[...]

what about feeding the kids every other day.... helps with the obestiy
epdiemic at the same time! :(
Terry

Death? Ol Shy & Bashful Rotorcraft 10 July 9th 06 12:31 AM
The death of the A-65? Michael Horowitz Home Built 35 November 23rd 05 12:08 AM
death of GA in NY [email protected] Piloting 51 September 16th 05 11:36 PM