SSA Airshow Ship Blog

Old November 10th 14, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA Airshow Ship Blog

Fellow Soaring Enthusiasts on RAS,

The SSA and specifically the SSA Growth and Development committee have accepted the donation of a Blanik L13 for use as a static display at aviation events. Meant as a promotional tool, this purpose built display will allow adults and kids to experience the excitement of sitting in a glider, manipulating the controls and having their picture taken. Adorned with flashy paint and logos, trivia, and web addresses, we envision this aircraft will serve the sport for many years.

Even though the glider and trailer were donated at no cost, the restoration will take volunteer time and money. I encourage you to follow the blog at

http://www.ssa.org/GrowthDevelopment?show=blog&id=3813

Come share the excitement as we try to convert this bird into the SSA flagship. Bookmark for regular updates and feel free to help in any way you can.. The goal is to unveil the ship at Sun N Fun 2015.

Thanks
Old November 10th 14, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I've got an old but unused canopy transparency that would probably yield usable windshield and forward cockpit canopies. If you can send me flat patterns for those parts I can cut up the canopy for economical transport.

Thanks, Bob K.
bob at hpaircraft decimal com
Old November 11th 14, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 10, 2014 6:12:02 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I've got an old but unused canopy transparency that would probably yield usable windshield and forward cockpit canopies. If you can send me flat patterns for those parts I can cut up the canopy for economical transport.

Thanks, Bob K.
bob at hpaircraft decimal com

Great. Just so I understand correctly. You want patterns for the front (stationary) canopy and the next piece which is the front seat canopy. Is this correct? I hadn't thought about the fact that they may come from the maker as one piece.

I will disassemble the existing transparencies and make paper patterns. It may be a week or two as I am diligently sanding my Std Cirrus gel coat off before the weather turns cold.

Lane Bush
Old November 11th 14, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Except for the forward shield, I thought the L-13 had a single opening canopy for both seats.

BT
Old November 11th 14, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Monday, November 10, 2014 5:33:00 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, November 10, 2014 6:12:02 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I've got an old but unused canopy transparency that would probably yield usable windshield and forward cockpit canopies. If you can send me flat patterns for those parts I can cut up the canopy for economical transport.

Thanks, Bob K.
bob at hpaircraft decimal com

Great. Just so I understand correctly. You want patterns for the front (stationary) canopy and the next piece which is the front seat canopy. Is this correct? I hadn't thought about the fact that they may come from the maker as one piece.

I will disassemble the existing transparencies and make paper patterns. It may be a week or two as I am diligently sanding my Std Cirrus gel coat off before the weather turns cold.

Lane Bush

Correct--those are the pieces I think I have some plastic with the right curvature for.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old November 13th 14, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Is wiring this up as a Condor simulator part of your plan? You could demonstrate the effect of the stick and rudder input on flight.
Old November 13th 14, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:17:27 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Is wiring this up as a Condor simulator part of your plan? You could demonstrate the effect of the stick and rudder input on flight.

That would be cool! Not part of the plan but if you want to take over that part of the project volunteers are welcome.

Lane
Old November 14th 14, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One canopy for both seats but (usually) it is/was two pieces of plastic with a "seam" between the seats. Ours had a single piece of plastic w/o the seam but I was told that this was an unapproved canopy. When the club folded we had two museums that wanted it for static display so we gave it to the one that asked first. I went to the museum a two years later and asked where it was. The reply - "It was bigger than we thought so we sold it for scrap.. We got $500." What a shame. It was a nicely painted example in above average shape.

Old November 14th 14, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, November 14, 2014 5:20:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
One canopy for both seats but (usually) it is/was two pieces of plastic with a "seam" between the seats. Ours had a single piece of plastic w/o the seam but I was told that this was an unapproved canopy. When the club folded we had two museums that wanted it for static display so we gave it to the one that asked first. I went to the museum a two years later and asked where it was. The reply - "It was bigger than we thought so we sold it for scrap. We got $500." What a shame. It was a nicely painted example in above average shape.

Mike, that is a shame.

Some display aircraft are actually donated, but owners often only loan to museums or for displays. Many of the military aircraft you see displayed around the country are will owned by the USAF. Someone has to make a commitment in order to have them. Hopefully some of the L-13's will see a second life.

Frank Whiteley
Old November 14th 14, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, November 14, 2014 11:43:14 AM UTC-8, gotovkotzepkoi wrote:

Let me get this straight - we are going to show off to the world an
ancient glider which is no longer allowed to fly because it crashed and
is considered unsafe. Does not sound like wise PR to me.

Does that mean you are donating your sailplane to the SSA to use for this purpose?

If so, that's great.

Thanks, Bob K.