LS3 headrest question

Old April 23rd 18, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer

Default LS3 headrest question

My LS3 headrest has a small 3-sided metal channel about 2” longwith two holes in the top (each about 3/16”)

Does anyone know what that is for?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ub...UFJ7onxROKgYlu

Thanks

Wfpalmer at gmail.
Old April 23rd 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

Turnpoint Camera mount?

Old April 23rd 18, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 3:32:52 PM UTC-4, Bill Palmer wrote:
My LS3 headrest has a small 3-sided metal channel about 2” longwith two holes in the top (each about 3/16”)

Does anyone know what that is for?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ub...UFJ7onxROKgYlu

Thanks

Wfpalmer at gmail.

Could be for a boom mic.
Old April 26th 18, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bryce Sammeter

I annual two different LS3’s and both have a boom mike mounted there.

Hope that helps.
Old April 26th 18, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 7:40:06 AM UTC-4, Bryce Sammeter wrote:
I annual two different LS3’s and both have a boom mike mounted there.

Hope that helps.

I sawed it off. I always thought it was for a boom mike. But in a crash involving my head slamming back onto the soft headrest, the bracket could have penetrated my skull (as nearly happened with a U.S. Team member at the World Championships in 1972, IIRC).

Chip Bearden
Old April 27th 18, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just in case you crash tail first at high speed huh? Sounds likely.
Old April 27th 18, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Just in case you crash tail first at high speed huh? Sounds likely.

Or you come to a sudden stop. Ever heard of whiplash?
Old April 27th 18, 10:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yep, whiplash happns when you are hit from behind, just like I said....
Old April 27th 18, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Not exactly...to be more accurate...

Running into something that stops your forward motion (the ground) causes your head to whip forward, then whip back after reaching the forward limits of your spine. (RIP Dale Sr.) That's whiplash and it's what messed up my neck in 1985. (Totalled my TR-7...)

Any collision, from front or rear, causes whiplash. Ask your local neurosurgeon or chiropractor.

Paul A.

Old April 27th 18, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just in case you crash tail first at high speed huh? Sounds likely.

Not that likely, but I know of two occasions.

"On this landing the pilot's head,
on first impact, quartering to the front,
went through the canopy with little
damage because the mounting rails
and quarter-inch steel canopy retaining
rods bent at extreme angles ( and
the plastic broke) to absorb most of
the energy. However, on the second
impact, traveling backwards, the pilot's
head was driven back into the headrest.
Fortunately, dead on center. The
leather cover and padding were driven
back into the headrest and two steel
mounting brackets, 1 x 1/8-inch plate
and 5 or 6 inches long came slicing
out through the front of the headrest.
They made significant bruises on either
side of the pilot's head and could have
penetrated had the head been slightly
turned."

A.J. Smith writing about the crash of his Nimbus II on the last day at the Worlds in Vrsac in 1972 (Soaring magazine, Apr 1973).

I'm also unfortunately very familiar with a fatal crash where the fuselage impacted in a relatively flat position, sinking at high speed, and the pilot's head snapped back hard because there was no headrest (early ASW 20).

As I said: I sawed it off. Just in case. If we could plan when and how we crash, we could save a lot of money on unneeded insurance, parachutes, etc.

Chip Bearden

DG-100 Headrest [email protected] Soaring 8 April 30th 18 10:24 PM
WTB: Headrest for ASW-20,19, etc. GeneReinecke Soaring 3 August 1st 16 04:54 AM
Discus B Headrest Kurt[_3_] Soaring 4 November 24th 15 02:23 AM
Ka-6 Headrest vontresc Soaring 1 May 15th 08 10:28 PM
Grob headrest nmskies Soaring 3 May 18th 06 04:56 AM