Pilot's Political Orientation

Old April 20th 04, 07:16 PM
John Harlow

Same-sex civil unions do not make sense.

.... to you.

Old April 20th 04, 07:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Harlow" wrote in message

... to you.

True. Of course, if they made real sense, they'd make sense to me.

Old April 20th 04, 07:24 PM
Gene Seibel

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message ...
"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
om...
I believe what I believe. You believe what you believe. Few of us will
change our minds, unless we have no convictions to start with.

You don't change your mind when someone offers a better
explanation/argument?

Possibly, if I thought it was better. At 53 years old I've pretty well
got my mind set on what I think is better. Others may not agree.
Doesn't mean they are wrong. With TV, books and internet, there aren't
a whole lot of ideas out there that have been kept secret. Most of
what I hear is new packaging for old ideas.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html
Old April 20th 04, 07:31 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

Are "liberal activist judges" any worse than conservative activist judges?

Since conservative philosophy precludes judicial activism there can be no
"conservative activist judges".

Old April 20th 04, 07:47 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Truesdell" wrote in message
That's not the point. This was, and is, NOT about me! That is a
selfish attitude, and one I choose not to take. When will there be a
general realization that, for all of it's faults, the government
intervention that you so quickly dismiss provides many necessary items
that WE ALL use every day.

This assumes that government can provide them without VERY NEGATIVE
consequences.

There may be no supporting argument to say
that WE are better off, but the opposite is not the case. There are
many supporting arguments indicating that WE would be worse off if there
were no government (read general public) intervention.

And this uses the logical fallacy of "false alternative".

The people that
are fond of spouting that we "should let the Free Market Economy work
(our fearless leader included) seem to forget that we have done this in
the past. And it gave rise to things like Love Canal,

Love Canal was hardly an example of "free markets"; quite the opposite.

horrible child labor situations,

And before child labor, these kids were running around the farm playing
"tag"?

Company Stores, and Slavery.

Christ on a bike, where do you pull this BS from? Public School?

Please recognize that
this government intervention that you speak of is exactly the
intervention that brought these and many other horrific "features" of
the "Free Market Economy" to an end.

You haven't a freaking clue what the hell you're talking about, and you
indicate a prime faling of government run schools, that being that they were
set up for INDOCTRINATION, not eduction.

snip

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old April 20th 04, 07:57 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
om...
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

You don't change your mind when someone offers a better
explanation/argument?

Possibly, if I thought it was better. At 53 years old I've pretty well
got my mind set on what I think is better.

Ummm...I think they call that "dogmatic".

Others may not agree.
Doesn't mean they are wrong. With TV, books and internet, there aren't
a whole lot of ideas out there that have been kept secret. Most of
what I hear is new packaging for old ideas.

Well, as you're probably aware, an idea is neither good nor bad because it's
old or new, but rather how well it comports with reality.

Often ideas we've heard for years are not really what we've come to believe
(our preconceived notions). For example, elsewhere in this thread Dan
Truesdale is making claims about free markets and history that are
completely bogus. I grew up "learning the same history", but found out well
out of school that what I was taught was a crock of cow poop.

One thing I notice about public schools is there is a complete lack of a
"free market of ideas" and of data as well.

Old April 20th 04, 07:59 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

Are "liberal activist judges" any worse than conservative activist

judges?

Since conservative philosophy precludes judicial activism there can be no
"conservative activist judges".

Even those that try to cram the Fifteen (bonk..crash...) the Ten
Commandments down our throats, or that try to force teaching Creationism as
equal with Evolution?

Old April 20th 04, 08:13 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

Are "liberal activist judges" any worse than conservative activist

judges?

Since conservative philosophy precludes judicial activism there can be

no
"conservative activist judges".

Even those that try to cram the Fifteen (bonk..crash...) the Ten
Commandments down our throats, or that try to force teaching Creationism

as
equal with Evolution?

Both notional hypothesis are equal under the scientific method, but we can
know that evolution is false. How about we teach science in science class
and consign evolution to the ash heap of discredited science? After all, at
the beginning of each geological period a large number of species come into
existance, followed by an extiction of some species slowing as the time line
extends. The facts are the opposite of Darwin's process and that is not
only a science problem, but also a cognitive dissonance problem for the
athiest.

Old April 20th 04, 08:45 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

Even those that try to cram the Fifteen (bonk..crash...) the Ten
Commandments down our throats, or that try to force teaching Creationism

as
equal with Evolution?

Since conservative philosophy precludes judicial activism there can be no
"conservative activist judges".

Ah....yeah, okie dokie.