Is it time to stop adding features to soaring software? Is it timeto focus on reliability?

Old December 11th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Is it time to stop adding features to soaring software? Is it timeto focus on reliability?

We tend to focus on ease of use, function and support when we select a flavor soaring software. But what about reliability and robustness? It seems entirely possible to be mislead by erroneous output from a digital adviser. For example, the glider computer might erroneously advise that you have enough altitude to make an upwind transition of a ridge.

Many software programs will work flawlessly most of the time, only to fail when tested at a "boundary condition"; an unusual set of conditions exposes an underlying defect in the code.

1.Does anyone have any true life cases of bad information being provided by a digital assistant in the air?

2.Assuming that a piece of software works most of the time, having more users, using the software for more hours, under a greater variety of conditions, increases the possibility of finding a hidden defect. Once the defect manifests, it still has to be recognized and reported. How many people use each variety of gliding software? Would that correlate with robustness?

3.One of the drawbacks of adding features or fixing defects in a program is the 'rule of unforeseen consequences'. The new feature or bug fix might have the side effect of introducing new hidden defects. Every time a new version of software is released, the confidence level in that software should be reset or at least lowered. We often assume that a new version will be more reliable and that everything that used to work will still work. That is usually true when software goes from alpha to beta version, but mature software can suddenly be broken by a new release. Soaring software is edging into the zone of precarious maturity.

Now that a number of soaring programs have implemented a rather broad menu of features, I would love for a development team to stop introducing new features and instead focus on increasing the reliability and robustness of the software, and thereby increase the justifiable confidence in the software..

An open source software project like XCSoar is in a good position to do this, because the developers are only paid in kudos, glory, and self-satisfaction. (There is no revenue stream to maintain). There are proven techniques for finding hidden defects, for example 1)Code inspection 2)Functional testing 3)Exhaustive model-based automated testing.

Adding new features is sexy and fun while inspecting code and testing is the opposite. It's too bad really, because one day a hidden software defect is going to lead to a fatal pilot error.
Old December 11th 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 10, 2012 4:53:16 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
[...]

I'm still using XCSoar 5.2.4, because it has everything I NEED, and runs with Stone-Axe reliability on my iPAQ 3950, which is STILL the best display in sunlight I've seen yet.
Old December 11th 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AGL

I'm still using XCSoar 5.2.4, because it has everything I NEED, and runs with Stone-Axe reliability on my iPAQ 3950, which is STILL the best display in sunlight I've seen yet.

I'm stil using SoarPilot, usually with a Palm Tungsten "T" or sometimes with a Windows 5 device with a Palm emulator. It does everything I need. There is an active YahooGroup of users, that is becoming quieter all the time because no one seems to be able to come up with more improvement requests. Frank Paynter used this at one time, and I'm not sure what he uses now or what prompted a change. a list of what SoarPilot doesen't do would make for interesting reading.

The hardware is getting old, but is still very readable in sunlight. Nevertheless, I have installed XCSOAR and LK8000 on a PDA to play with in the car this winter. Here's the problem with that: It's going to take me a long time to become as throughly familiar with those, and even longer to trust them. I fear errors of use more than software errors.

Fortunately we seem to have passed the point where we think that free means inferior, but we still think that pretty means better.

So, until somthing substantial happens with screens, I'm sticking with what I've got.
Old December 11th 12, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roel Baardman

An open source software project like XCSoar is in a good position to do this, because the developers are only paid in kudos, glory, and self-satisfaction. (There is no revenue stream to
maintain).
I think self-satisfaction is the primary stimulus for most open-source developers. This would also explain why they keep adding features: only when the developer himself encounters a serious
defect he will be truely motivated to fix it.

There are proven techniques for finding hidden defects, for example

Some of these practices are performed by the XC Soar team as far as I know (from hanging out on their IRC channel).

1)Code inspection

This is done extensively. I have seen _a lot_ of discussion regarding code quality, performance, architecture, etc.

2)Functional testing

XC Soar does have unit tests, if that's what you mean.

3)Exhaustive model-based automated testing.

As far as I know this is still mostly academic. When I graduated two years ago, a lot of research was still performed.
The tools I worked with mostly did code generation, using a (verified) model as the source. Now, when you already have an extensive codebase (like XCSoar), reverse-engineering that model is hard
I think.
Old December 11th 12, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

An open source software project like XCSoar is in a good position
to do this, because the developers are only paid in kudos, glory,
and self-satisfaction. (There is no revenue stream to maintain).

I have great respect for people who do what we do in their free time. But I would dare to say that what you say above works exactly the other way around.

We're all using our free time in a way which makes sense and fun. Finding bugs, correcting them and even rewriting code just because once in the past we took some shortcuts and now we're seeing the unwanted effects is not fun.. Exactly because at Naviter we are dependent on the revenue stream we are much more motivated do re-think and re-do what we have done not-so-well in the past. Sometimes it comes at the expense of not adding as many new features as we (but not you would have liked but it pays off in reliability of the output.

There is another price that you pay for adding more features. The amount of available settings and options becomes overwhelming. It often reduces the usability of the software for the average pilot even if it does raise it for the savvy ones.

We've been through that before and it's fun to see us go through this again.. It's amazing how much time you can spend on keeping only the really absolutely the most necessary and useful settings to keep the software exactly as useable as before but simple to operate. When you add new features and you're not sure exactly what parameters will work well it's easy to just add settings for these parameters. Great for the savvy but very easy to mis-interpret for the average.

You can follow the progress of reducing the amount of settings if you install SeeYou on your Android phone/tablet (and soon also an an iPhone/iPad). We're trying really hard to have the most minimalistic settings in order to keep the usability right at the top.

It's a time sinkhole though!

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com

Old December 11th 12, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't be too hard on these developers. They enjoy building the code. They provide us the fruits of their labor "free of charge". To them the code is the challenge. LK8000 has reduced the CPU usage of my PNA from 20% down to 6% over the last few betas. The airspace analysis has become a "thing of beauty".

I just spent two hours studying some configuration options. I can see where some may not want to study a manual to better learn their software. In that case just don't upgrade to new versions. As the previous poster said, keep your old version that you have configured to your comfort.

I am amazed at what the shareware developers are doing for us. Keep us the good work guys!

Lane
XF

Old December 11th 12, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:53:16 AM UTC+1, son_of_flubber wrote:
An open source software project like XCSoar is in a good position to do this, because the developers are only paid in kudos, glory, and self-satisfaction. (There is no revenue stream to maintain). There are proven techniques for finding hidden defects, for example 1)Code inspection 2)Functional testing 3)Exhaustive model-based automated testing.

As Roel already said, we have many unit tests already, but not enough, there is never enough. Since the first day I joined the XCSoar project as a developer, I have worked on separating out code to run in isolated unit tests. (Which, by the way, was the very reason the LK8000 was created: because the LK8000 developer thought this was a bad idea, and so he left us - LK8000 still doesn't have a single unit test.)

You are welcome to inspect the XCSoar source code and write more unit tests.. We would very much like to see more manpower put into it. Not because we think that XCSoar is in a bad shape; it's pretty stable and the code has become quite good over the years. But with more manpower, we could do so much more.

Don't talk about how others should or could do something, just do it yourself. Join our IRC channel and talk to us: http://www.xcsoar.org/discover/irc..html (#xcsoar on irc.freenode.net)
Old December 11th 12, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

We have 500 unit tests, Max. FIVE-HUNDREDS.
We have a precise alpha and beta phases, scheduling a software delivery
after 10-12 months, only when 500 people are quite confident everything is
ok.
Is it enough to have 500 people doing this work?
I ask because personally I dont trust unit tests, for a simple reason: they
are made to report only if a desired result is obtained or not.
And the real truth is that for most of all functions you cannot check all
"desired results" and thus you are not accomplishing any real auto test.

The reason LK was created is that I was going to spend more time discussing
things with you, than doing them by myself and my own.

I am not going to comment the ridicolous statements by software
manufacturers that dont have innovations in their products, and call this
lack of innovations "desire of simplicity" (De vulpe et uva).

paolo

Old December 11th 12, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tobias Bieniek

We're all using our free time in a way which makes sense and fun. Finding bugs, correcting them and even rewriting code just because once in the past we took some shortcuts and now we're seeing the unwanted effects is not fun.

Well... actually... I've been doing exactly that for three years on the XCSoar project now and let me tell you that this can be fun too. For me it was a learning experience that ultimately got me my current job and a few other things before that.

and @Paolo: why do you have unit tests if you don't even trust them?
Old December 11th 12, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 10, 5:53*pm, son_of_flubber wrote:

1.Does anyone have any true life cases of bad information being provided by a digital assistant in the air?

Several, but the most glaring one is GlideNav's use of wind data. On
an out-and-return flight GNII will use the ground speed achieved on
the first leg to predict the performance and arrival time on the
second leg. Works fine with a light wind, but with a strong tail wind
on the first leg it will sucker you into going far too deep into a
turn area and maybe landing out.

I discussed this with the developer and found it isn't a bug but a
deliberate design choice. I have wondered if this design was carried
over to ClearNav.

Andy (GY)