IO 470 Fouled Plug

Old January 28th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default IO 470 Fouled Plug

My engine analyzed is telling me that the spark plug on the #6
cylinder, left mag is fouled. I have a new plug, but can't tell which
cylinder #6 is and whether it's the plug on the top or the bottom....
Can anyone tell me which plug it is...?

Thanks much,

Anthony

Old January 28th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Anthony wrote:
My engine analyzed is telling me that the spark plug on the #6
cylinder, left mag is fouled. I have a new plug, but can't tell which
cylinder #6 is and whether it's the plug on the top or the bottom....
Can anyone tell me which plug it is...?

Number 6 is the rearmost cylinder. Trace the wires to work out which plug is
connected to the left mag.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 28th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I think that the cylinders are numbered on the intake manifold. THe
number is cast right into the manifold. Also, I believe that the bottom
plugs are the ones that tend to foul. Did you try to do a lean runup to
try and "un-foul" the plug? I have had good luck doing that.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old January 28th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article YyBCf.1306$Ix.796@trnddc07,
George Patterson wrote:

Anthony wrote:
My engine analyzed is telling me that the spark plug on the #6
cylinder, left mag is fouled. I have a new plug, but can't tell which
cylinder #6 is and whether it's the plug on the top or the bottom....
Can anyone tell me which plug it is...?

Number 6 is the rearmost cylinder. Trace the wires to work out which plug is
connected to the left mag.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

I have an old Continental Operators's handbook (for the E-225 series),
which shows #1 as rifgt rear, #6 is left front. I doubt that Continental
has changed their numbering system on the O-470 series.

On a Lycoming, #1 is right front; #6 is left rear.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old January 28th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I have an old Continental Operators's handbook (for the E-225 series),
which shows #1 as rifgt rear, #6 is left front. I doubt that Continental
has changed their numbering system on the O-470 series.

According to my A&P at the time, right front was #1 on my Continental O-200.

Old January 28th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I have an old Continental Operators's handbook (for the E-225 series),
which shows #1 as rifgt rear, #6 is left front. I doubt that Continental
has changed their numbering system on the O-470 series.

According to my A&P at the time, right front was #1 on my Continental
O-200.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

Right rear is #1 on an O-200. Left front is #4.

Old January 28th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Prooving" that on different engines there are different numbering
schemes.

Old January 28th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I have an old Continental Operators's handbook (for the E-225 series),
which shows #1 as rifgt rear, #6 is left front. I doubt that Continental
has changed their numbering system on the O-470 series.

According to my A&P at the time, right front was #1 on my Continental
O-200.

Lycomings have the numbers stamped right in the engine case. Don't
Continentals?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

#6 should be the front most cylinder.
Look at the plug leads mine are labeled T1, B1,T2,B2, etc.
Michelle
Old January 28th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I have an old Continental Operators's handbook (for the E-225 series),
which shows #1 as rifgt rear, #6 is left front. I doubt that Continental
has changed their numbering system on the O-470 series.

According to my A&P at the time, right front was #1 on my Continental
O-200.

Lycomings have the numbers stamped right in the engine case. Don't
Continentals?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Yes, they are cast into the case.

Fouled plug IO 470 [email protected] General Aviation 7 January 29th 06 07:03 PM
Plug fouled Denny Owning 9 September 2nd 05 05:58 AM
Plug replacements for O-360-A3A [email protected] Owning 3 August 20th 05 10:39 PM
ICOM Headset Adaptor Plug Ron Wanttaja Home Built 3 June 2nd 05 07:54 AM
Clearing a fouled plug Roger Long Piloting 3 July 6th 04 05:53 AM