Old EW Avionics Model B file (.ewt) conversion to .igc

Old March 1st 20, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_6_]

Default Old EW Avionics Model B file (.ewt) conversion to .igc

True Oh Dan, but Tom has said that his Toshiba's 2 USB ports are broken...

At 16:31 01 March 2020, Dan Marotta wrote:
USB portable DVDROM drives are cheap on-line as are USB to serial
adapters.Â* I have and use both.

On 3/1/2020 7:53 AM, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Sunday, March 1, 2020 at 5:45:04 AM UTC-6, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
At 19:40 29 February 2020, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 4:00:05 AM UTC-6, Tim Newport-Peace
wrote=
:
I have a put copy at www.newportpeace.co.uk/temp/CONV-EWA.EXE
=20
As Paul says, it has has problems because it wants Full-Screen mode

and
i=
is a 16-bit program and won't run on a on a 64-bit PC.
=20
Both these problems can be solved by running under DOSBOX.
=20
I have written notes on using DOSBOX for these 16-bit programs at:
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/do...ithout_DLL.pdf
=20
Share and enjoy!
=20
=20
At 22:20 28 February 2020, Tom BravoMike wrote:
I used it in the 1990s and still have a nice collection of flight
logs
which I cannot open to watch in the modern software. Don't have
the=20
old
EWView program. Anyone can help? Thanks in advance ...

Thanks, Tim (and everyone who responded). The conv-ewa.exe file was

what
=
was looking for and couldn't find. Now that I've got it, as I am a

lucky
ow=
ner of an old Toshiba laptop with Win98 system and broken both USB

port
and=
CD drive, I'm trying to find a way to transfer the files to the

laptop
and=
launch them. I will let you know when I succeed with the ewt-to-igc
conver=
sion, as there is one particular flight from 1997 I'm very curious to
look
=
at, my shortest ever non-crash landing/roll-out on approx. 10 meters

in
P=
W-5.

That souunds like hard work as you have to transfer your files in,

convert
them and then transfer out again and all without using CD or USB!

Will your 64-bit PC boot from a USB stick (I have one that will and

one
that won't)?

If it will, then go to https://rufus.ie/ and use Rufus to create a

bootable
USB drive, nothing to install. Now copy CONV-EWA.EXE and your EW file

the USB.

You can now Boot from it and convert your files. Reboot you 64-bit PC

and
copy the files from the USB stick.

If you cannot boot from USB, then download and install the DOSBOX App

(it's
free!) and follow the procedure in:
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/do...ithout_DLL.pdf

It all works, and I have tried it out.

Tim.

Thanks, Tim, sounds interesting and I will give it a try. The old

Toshiba
laptop is worth keeping anyway for some other old software, partly

MS-DOS,
and it's D-Sub RS232 port. The CD drive actually works but it's

read-only.
The 3.5" floppy drive is working OK and I have just ordered an external

FDD
for my modern PC (should arrive tomorrow, Monday) - who would think that

will be using the floppies again! I'm also trying to remember how the old
laptop connected to the internet - can't find the RJ45 socket and not

sure
it has a Wi-Fi capacity.

--
Dan, 5J

Old March 1st 20, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ouch, that would make it a fine target for a shot gun...

On 3/1/2020 10:52 AM, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
True Oh Dan, but Tom has said that his Toshiba's 2 USB ports are broken...

At 16:31 01 March 2020, Dan Marotta wrote:
USB portable DVDROM drives are cheap on-line as are USB to serial
adapters.ÂÂ* I have and use both.