Which antennae please?

Old October 27th 04, 08:26 AM
Robert Loer

Default Which antennae please?

I am building a full size Cub look a like from LMA. Fuselage is mostly wood
and fabric. I have a ValCom radio and two antennae. I want to mount inside
the fuselage. On is a typical fuselage top mount with the faired base and
leaning back about 20 degrees. The other is what I believe is called base
loaded antennae which has coil at the base of it and it is claimed no
ground plane is needed. I believe ultrlights use these a lot. Any ideas
which I should go with? the base loaded held in my hand allows me to hear my
local ATIS which is about 12 miles away and a hill in between. I have no one
to transmit to check the output.

Ideas?

Thanks guys.

Robert

Old October 27th 04, 11:55 PM
Jim Weir

This question can NOT be answered properly without a drawing showing the
placement of ALL metal objects in the fuselage. Simply saying 'mostly wood and
fabric" indicates some metal, and unless we know size and positioning, any
comments are premature.

PLEASE do not come back on and try to describe the location of the metal
objects. Without a decent engineering drawing or sketch, anybody who answers is
simply taking a rectorandom stab at it.

jim

"Robert Loer"

-I am building a full size Cub look a like from LMA.

http://www.rst-engr.com