CHARTER: rec.aviation.piloting

Old January 1st 04, 11:24 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay is a true member of this community, who happens to own a hotel that
many
of us (including myself) would like to visit one day. In part to see

the
rooms, but mostly to meet a good friend in person.

I have thought about driving to Iowa City from Texas. Make a few side

trips,
but mostly to meet Jay, see the hotel and try to get some free beer out of
him!

Thanks, guys. Mary and I, as innkeepers, have met the coolest pilots, and
the best people, from all over the world -- many through this newsgroup.
And although I'm not above the occasional plug for ** FREE BEER IN IOWA! **
, it's certainly not the main reason I'm here.

Pilots are the best damned people around, period. They're honest,
intelligent, forthright, and capable -- which is more than I can say about
90% of the rest of the population.

Here is the best illustration I can give you of our wonderful first 16
months in the aviation-theme-suites-hotel business: When we opened for
business, in August 2002, I filled the 36 gallon gas tank of our courtesy
van. I've not had to add gas since. Not one single, solitary gallon!

Since then countless pilots have used it, free of charge, putting many
thousands of miles on it. Never -- not once -- has it presented a problem,
or cost me a nickel -- despite the dire warnings of many. Without fail,
the pilots who have used it have topped off the tank. Many did this AND
left a few bucks. A couple have even left small gifts, and several made
donations to our "aviation library".

If you've got to work with the public, work with pilots. You won't go too
far wrong.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 2nd 04, 01:35 AM
pacplyer

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:MEIIb.712934$Fm2.618908@attbi_s04...
Oops...was that off topic? Sry Larry, go have a beer at Jay's
place.....oops was that advertising a felony?? Help! I can't stop!

This MUST be a Dighera thread. To this day, he stands (sits?) as the ONLY
person in my "killfile"... As a result, I am blissfully spared his
sanctimonious pontificating, and can only see the "collateral damage" caused
by his posts. This thread looks like a doozy.

Great Post Jay,

Larry has just got to be some kind of failed law student, wouldn't you
say? Seems to have a Saddam Hussein complex, "I, am the lone guardian
of my RAP people and will police all those who dare to exercise free
speech against me..."

Seems to me, that along with Larry, Usenet has morphed more into
entertainment than anything else! So be it. Pure, unmoderated, free
speech for the little guy. I like it a lot.

pacplyer

Self-annointed Guardian of irrelevant OT posts
Old January 2nd 04, 02:04 AM
pacplyer

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Larry Dighera is one of the most frequent off-topic posters on this news
group. This post is a thinly disguised attempt to suppress political
opinions other than his own.

I have to agree that the two things that should be avoided are discussions
of religion and politics. They hold very strong views and emotions, and are
not likely to be changed by anyone's persuasions. All that happens is name
calling.

Well then for Christ sake, Morgans, find a moderated news group that
doesn't allow them. Don't specify to me what subjects I can discuss!
BTW, if you don't vote Libertarian then you are a putz. ;-) (just
humor, Morgans, don't go ballistic)

pacplyer - out
Old January 2nd 04, 05:58 PM
Rosspilot

And my name is Scottish, but I don't sound like the engineer on the
Enterprise.

LOL . . .whom my mother used to call "Scotty the Irishman".
www.Rosspilot.com

Old January 2nd 04, 06:05 PM
Ron Natalie

"Rosspilot" wrote in message ...
And my name is Scottish, but I don't sound like the engineer on the
Enterprise.

LOL . . .whom my mother used to call "Scotty the Irishman".

Scotty the canuck Irishman. About as Scottish as Al Jolson was black.

Old January 2nd 04, 07:45 PM
Chuck

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Rosspilot" wrote in message

And my name is Scottish, but I don't sound like the engineer on the
Enterprise.

LOL . . .whom my mother used to call "Scotty the Irishman".

Scotty the canuck Irishman. About as Scottish as Al Jolson was black.

Be careful... Ya'll are going to get Larry mad at you...

Did you know that most Cessna's have propellers? (required general aviation
content)

Old January 2nd 04, 08:45 PM
G.R. Patterson III

What kind of odds are you giving? His name is Honeck, after all.

And my name is Scottish, but I don't sound like the engineer on the Enterprise.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 2nd 04, 10:19 PM
pacplyer

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
"pacplyer" wrote in message

Well then for Christ sake, Morgans, find a moderated news group that
doesn't allow them. Don't specify to me what subjects I can discuss!
BTW, if you don't vote Libertarian then you are a putz. ;-) (just
humor, Morgans, don't go ballistic)

pacplyer - out

I would say you are a putz for criticizing my choices of what not to
discuss. Kind of ironic, isn't it?

No No. That's not what I did. Exactly the opposite. I never
advocated ANY sensorship or moderation for you. That's disingenuous
to mischaracterize what I said. I am *not* "criticizing [your]
choices of what not to discuss" as you put it. You're free to
"not-discuss" anything that offends you. You however, seem to want to
outlaw speech that you disagree with (politics and religion.) Did I
misunderstand your intent? To dissuade others from such speech?

I just think that these are two subjects that people seldom agree on, and
there is no rational way to resolve the argument. Believe it or not, I
dislike disagreement, and would rather get along with everyone.

Mr and Mrs Morgan, I actually like you, and think you are the most
polite, good-natured folks on the internet today. And everyone else
likes you as well. My apologies for kidding you. Although you may
not like disagreement, it is the cornerstone and right of citizens of
a free society.

My opinion realistically will not change a thing. I will continue to not
get involved, for the most part. It would be nice if those participating in
the arguments would respect the other guy's opinion,

I agree and think you have a very valid point.

and the right to
express it. It seldom stays that way, when religion or politics are
involved.
See, I didn't go ballistic, but what I vote (and I do) is simply none of
your damn business. :-)

True. I was intentionally posting subjects of religion and politics
that resulted in name calling like your first post warned about. (in
jest :-) But Morgans I rather think your opinion does matter and
does change things since you are a long-time poster at these NG's. I
just feel it's wrong for any of us to "run off" or censor any pilot
standing on a soapbox. Be disagreeable and argue all day long with
them if you want to. Maybe they'll go away… but don't outlaw their
topical choice of speech. It's quite possible they don't want to
discuss these things with the trailer trash over at
alt.religion.pycho.

I would expect disagreeable subjects to be outlawed in Iran, China or
Cuba, but not here on an unmoderated NG in the U.S.

MSUOO (my screw-up opinion only)

pacplyer