Mach 7!

Old March 28th 04, 11:20 AM
Dylan Smith

Default Mach 7!

It's good to see that despite all the naysayers, NASA still does
incredibly cool things. I watched the X-43A successfully launch on NASA
tv over the Internet, and it turns out that they got Mach 7 out of an
aircraft powered by an air-breathing engine.

Good to see new research like this into aviation. (Not to mention the
success of the Spirit and Opportunity Mars missions).

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 28th 04, 03:04 PM
Jay Honeck

Good to see new research like this into aviation. (Not to mention the
success of the Spirit and Opportunity Mars missions).

Yeah, despite everything our electorate and politicians have tried to do to
them, NASA is still the best and the brightest -- thank goodness!

Do you have an URL for NASA tv?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 28th 04, 03:16 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:04:32 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

Do you have an URL for NASA tv?

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

#m
--
A far-reaching proposal from the FBI (...) would require all broadband
Internet providers, including cable modem and DSL companies, to rewire
Old March 28th 04, 03:16 PM
Dan Luke

"Dylan Smith" wrote:
I watched the X-43A successfully launch on NASA
tv over the Internet, and it turns out that they got
Mach 7 out of an aircraft powered by an
air-breathing engine.

Extremely cool video.

Did you notice, as the rocket exhaust trail faded, that the vehicle
appeared to follow a very slightly spiral-shaped track? Wonder what
that was about.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 29th 04, 06:52 PM
Mike Rapoport

While I am a fan of the X43, it is not clear from what I have read that the
vehicle accelerated or even maintained velocity after separation from the
booster. All they are saying is that the engine "operated". If it was
going M7.0 at separation and M5.0 when the hydrogen ran out, then it is a
lot less impressive.

Mike
MU-2

Old March 29th 04, 07:02 PM
kage

***If it was going M7.0 at separation and M5.0 when the hydrogen ran out,
then it is a lot less impressive.****

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...

Mike, I doubt the B-52 was Mach 7 at separation! More like M0.7.

Karl

Old March 29th 04, 07:31 PM
Dennis O'Connor

The report I read is that the X43 did accellerate after the engine fired....
The development team is walking around 6 feet off the ground right now...
That is something to have a Mach 7 wind going through the combustion chamber
and not blow the fire out... Next flight is planned for Mach 10...
denny

Old March 29th 04, 08:20 PM
Mike Rapoport

Karl, presumably when the X43 separated from the Pegasus booser at 95,000'
it was going faster than M0.7.

Mike
MU-2

Old March 30th 04, 05:44 AM
Lisa

Dylan Smith wrote:

It's good to see that despite all the naysayers, NASA still does
incredibly cool things. I watched the X-43A successfully launch on NASA
tv over the Internet, and it turns out that they got Mach 7 out of an
aircraft powered by an air-breathing engine.

Good to see new research like this into aviation. (Not to mention the
success of the Spirit and Opportunity Mars missions).

What happened to the plane after it ditched into the ocean as planned?
Did they try to recover it (successfully?) or did it sink to the bottom?

Old March 30th 04, 02:59 PM
John T

"Lisa" wrote in message

What happened to the plane after it ditched into the ocean as planned?
Did they try to recover it (successfully?) or did it sink to the
bottom?

Calling it a plane is a bit of a stretch.

There are (were?) three of these testbed aircraft to be built. The first
one was destroyed when the booster rocket veered off course. The second one
was flown successfully and "ditched" in the Pacific as planned.

None of the aircraft were expected to be recovered as I understand it. They
were designed to test the concept of the scramjet and provide engineers all
their data via telemetry only.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer