T6 Formation flight with Ship to Ship and ATC COMS - Video

Old September 10th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default T6 Formation flight with Ship to Ship and ATC COMS - Video

T6 4 ship formation flight over Greenwood MS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B96gfcxci60

Video starts from Engine startup and includes the following
formatons: Trail, Finger Four, Echelon and Diamond Formations. A
couple of joins and breaks included for good measure. Additional
details about this flight is included in the video description.
Old September 10th 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
" wrote:

T6 4 ship formation flight over Greenwood MS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B96gfcxci60

Video starts from Engine startup and includes the following
formatons: Trail, Finger Four, Echelon and Diamond Formations. A
couple of joins and breaks included for good measure. Additional
details about this flight is included in the video description.

I take it that the front seater was doing the flying. the formation
looks too good for a first-timer. Nice formation element takeoff!

The $4 position in the diamond is probably the easiest position to fly,
other than Lead.

Dissimilar aircraft in the formation can be more challenging!

See: http://gaggleflight.com/photos.htm for some of our stuff here at
Spruce Creek.

Old September 10th 09, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Sep 9, 10:22*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

I take it that the front seater was doing the flying. the formation
looks too good for a first-timer. Nice formation element takeoff!

The $4 position in the diamond is probably the easiest position to fly,
other than Lead.

Dissimilar aircraft in the formation can be more challenging!

See:http://gaggleflight.com/photos.htmfor some of our stuff here at
Spruce Creek.

Oh yeah, I wasn't the stick and rudder guy! I don't have 1/100 the
talent the pilot had in flying!

I am surprised you say this though as in his plane there were many
more gauges in the front seat. Is it usually the opposite (back seat
doing the flying?)

While in GWO, pilot gave another pilot a T6 check out and the check
out pilot had to do the checkout from the back seat. Of course first
thing that happened was the engine magically failed on take off LOL

While in formation, the lead was working on his lead certification (I
think for NATA or CAF?) so not sure if it came out in the video, but
some non standard moves were purposely done so the lead could be
tested on "gathering up the troops". Suffice it to say, while fun as
all get out, this was one of the most learning experiences I had as
well! Never knew formation flight was about angles vs airspeed among
many many other small details!.

VERY cool pics, has MUCH more meaning to me :-))))
Old September 10th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
BeechSundowner wrote:

On Sep 9, 10:22*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

I take it that the front seater was doing the flying. the formation
looks too good for a first-timer. Nice formation element takeoff!

The $4 position in the diamond is probably the easiest position to fly,
other than Lead.

Dissimilar aircraft in the formation can be more challenging!

See:http://gaggleflight.com/photos.htmfor some of our stuff here at
Spruce Creek.

Oh yeah, I wasn't the stick and rudder guy! I don't have 1/100 the
talent the pilot had in flying!

I am surprised you say this though as in his plane there were many
more gauges in the front seat. Is it usually the opposite (back seat
doing the flying?)

In formation flight, the pilot rarely scans his instruments -- it is all
about getting into and STAYING in position. The throttle is the most
important control -- constantly adjusting to small changes in relative
speeds. It is easier to do in close than far out, since all movements
are angular and require smaller adjustments if you are in close.

Most new formation guys are reluctant to get in close until they get
comfortable, making learning more difficult.

While in GWO, pilot gave another pilot a T6 check out and the check
out pilot had to do the checkout from the back seat. Of course first
thing that happened was the engine magically failed on take off LOL

While in formation, the lead was working on his lead certification (I
think for NATA or CAF?) so not sure if it came out in the video, but
some non standard moves were purposely done so the lead could be
tested on "gathering up the troops". Suffice it to say, while fun as
all get out, this was one of the most learning experiences I had as
well! Never knew formation flight was about angles vs airspeed among
many many other small details!.

I could not see the hand signals in the videos, since hand signals and
airplane motions are the primary means of communicating formation
commands.

VERY cool pics, has MUCH more meaning to me :-))))

Indeed!

Old September 10th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Sep 10, 9:28*am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

I could not see the hand signals in the videos, since hand signals and
airplane motions are the primary means of communicating formation
commands.

I **think** I captured some in my next video I am creating. I know I
got the thumbs up after runup and that will be included and of course
the wing waggles. I saw the head bobbles, but can't remember if I had
the camera on the plane when I saw it. My next video will be
"randoms" from our first and second formation flight and 2 ship
flight. Even with my experience (NONE) I can see in the videos we
flew flight 1, 2 and 4 much more crisp and a tighter formation.

We did 3 distinct 4 ship flights (briefed and debriefed each). First
and second flight we were #3 and last flight (video uploaded) we were
#4. Pilot said it was a nice change for him as he hasn't been in 4
for quite some time (he is usually lead) but to me, that was the "room
with the view" for videoing. Going home we did a 2 ship formation
where the lead in the 4 ship was wingman as my pilot wanted to show
him why you should not do 45 degree banks for joins as it caused us to
(bear with me with terminology - I may have it backwars) to smoosh??.
So he did one with a 45 degree and then a 30 degree. During this
flight I think I got some good close ups of our wingman but need to
review.

My camera work still needs A LOT of work, but I did improve with each
flight from what I have reviewed thus far. I had never done anything
like this before and I found I that I should have stayed with a plane
much longer then I did rather then pan back and forth as much as I
did. Kid with a lollipop I guess from my own excitement.

Soooo, for those following this thread and ever get this once in a
life time opportunity.... Video tips that may be worthy of
printing :-)

Don't let the excitement overcome your videoing!

KNOW YOUR EQUIPMENT. I lost audio on my recorder because I failed to
consider using the "hold button" I realized I was losing audio as I
had my recorder in my camera bag and something kept hitting the stop
button. Had I used that hold button, this would have disabled the
buttons and this would not have happened.

Study up on formation flying before hand. The more prepared you are
before, the better of you will be. I was very fortunate to have four
chances to learn the moves and transistions. It would have been nice
if I would have at least watched a video or two before hand. Of
course your position is everything and what looks simple on the ground
is incredibly complex in the air. Try to be situationally aware if
you are doing lazy eights. Allows you to anticipate.

Take a wide angle lens if you have one as you can't capture all planes
in the formation when tight. There were times I could not get the
whole plane in when I was zoomed OUT we were that close.

Take extra batteries or an extra camera is even better (I used the
second camera in the flight formation video since my newer camera
battery was nearing it's life)
Stay focused on the plane (or planes) for at least 10 seconds before
panning to your next shot. This becomes important for editing later.
I have two "point and shoot" digital cameras (Casio and Kodak Easy
Share). As we all know, confines of an airplane are tight, it's even
tighter in a tailwheel and camcorder may be bulky since the canapy
narrows big time in the back.

I had a small camera bag with easy access to everything. Think small,
there is no room in the rear and you CANNOT have anything on the floor
since controls are running through there and the rear rudder pedals
move constantly. Everything must work from your lap. THINK SAFETY as
you are strapped in for the ride and your mobility is not the same as
a 4 passenger plane. Do not keep any loose items on your lap as the
breaks are extremely sharp responses that I have never felt in a plane
before.

Shoot with the canopy open if the pilot allows it. I had no clue what
to expect so I closed the canapy as I was thinking "wind noises" would
be rediculous. Take the wind noise and you can edit it later. I
can't do the reverse now. Reason you want the canopy open is to
eliminate reflections that you see in my video.

Pilot I was with was great, during the acro video, he did duplicate so
I could get the wing and front view. Think backwards! I like the
view with the camera panned on me. Unique touch to it. If time
permits, I would suggest doing each routine three times, once out the
front, side and back. This way if you mess up one, you still have two
to go with for the final video cut.

Orval, please add to this if you see anything I missed, so others can
learn and not mess up capturing a part of flight that everybody should
experience at least once! It really was poetry in motion.
Old September 10th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

BeechSundowner wrote:
On Sep 10, 9:28 am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

snip....

Pilot I was with was great, during the acro video, he did duplicate so
I could get the wing and front view. Think backwards! I like the
view with the camera panned on me. Unique touch to it. If time
permits, I would suggest doing each routine three times, once out the
front, side and back. This way if you mess up one, you still have two
to go with for the final video cut.

Orval, please add to this if you see anything I missed, so others can
learn and not mess up capturing a part of flight that everybody should
experience at least once! It really was poetry in motion.

One thing I learned from my father years ago when he did 8mm home
movies, it to pan slowly and, like you said, stay on the subject for at
least 10 seconds. While taking videos, it seems like a life time, but
when you view then it is really short. I have seen people with their
video cameras jerking every which direction. I can just imagine how bad
they look when they get home and show them.

As a side, my father would have my mom drive away with us in the car
waving good by. Then we would have to go back and pick him up. He would
edit all this and have a really nice production. I now have those 8 mm
film and there are 41 5" reels that I have to get converted to DVD. They
start in 1954.
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP