UAV's and TFR's along the Mexico boarder

Old January 14th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Default UAV's and TFR's along the Mexico boarder

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:48:51 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote in
::

That's what the whole Access 5 program is about - being able to fly
UAV's in the airspace *without* impacting other traffic.

However, that is not what is occurring with regard to the UAV Mexico
border patrol. In fact, to my knowledge, the UAV manufacturers have
not yet demonstrated a synthetic vision system adequate to permit UAVs
to comply with FAA see-and-avoid regulations.

To move forward deploying UAVs in domestic airspace is, as a result of
that failure, is irresponsible at best, if not negligent. And the
federal government's complicity in bilking the American people of
millions of dollars in UAV funding is a travesty and reveals the
current lack of fiscal responsibility.

The money is better spent putting more agents in the field and
implementing effective deportation policies; that's where the problems
are.

Old January 14th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

"Larry Dighera" wrote

In fact, to my knowledge, the UAV manufacturers have
not yet demonstrated a synthetic vision system adequate to permit UAVs
to comply with FAA see-and-avoid regulations.

You know, I wonder why they have not developed some means, yet. There are
certainly radar systems that could be tuned to detect planes in the area.
Perhaps they could just swing their existing ground surveillance systems up
and around the surrounding airspace once in a while, to make sure the
airspace is clear?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 14th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Start making L19s again? They carried a lot of stuff for FACing.
Walt BJ

Old January 14th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

"John Doe" wrote in message
ink.net...
How much of the American boarder with Mexico is out of radar contact?

There was some fuss about the FAA creating TFRs for the UAVs that are
flying with boarder patrol along the Mexico. Why can't the UAV just fly
along under an IFR flight plan and everyone else just avoid the little
thing just like any other plane on an IFR flight plan?

When there is so much talk about securing the boarders, I can't imagine
that there is any strip of the boarder that we can not monitor by radar.

The TFR text says 12,000' to 14,000' inclusive.

So if you are lower than 12,000' or higher than 14,000' there's no
restriction, right?

Jay B

Old January 14th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

I know at one time the US deployed tethered "blimps" carrying radar to
provide radar coverage along the border, and even in the Florida Keys. I've
seen the lighter-than-air vehicles while flying or driving in the area.
It's been a few years since I was near the areas. I'm not sure if they
still operate or not.
Click here for more info http://tinyurl.com/9wjup

--
Scott

Today, the sons and daughters of those earlier appeasers have taken up
where their parents and grandparents left off. - Burt Prelutsky
http://tinyurl.com/coplb

Old January 14th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:
"Bob Fry" wrote in message
news
"JD" == John Doe writes:

JD Why can't the UAV just fly along under an IFR flight plan and
JD everyone else just avoid the little thing just like any other
JD plane on an IFR flight plan?

Because that's not the way it works in VMC. In VMC, *everybody*
avoids everybody else visually, as well as with other aids (ATC). So
if the "little thing" is flying, and I'm flying, and it's VMC and I'm
not talking to ATC, and I don't see that "little thing", and of course
nobody is onboard the UAV to see me....midairs happen.

Ok, you just contradicted yourself.

If you're flying in VMC and you don't see that "little thing", and have a
midair, it's your fault. Why does it matter if anyone is on board the UAV
or not?

Personally I think a NOTAM saying when/where the UAVs will be should be
enough for VFR pilots to avoid the thing. Why do we need a TFR?

Answer a question for me: is this a little bitty slow UAV that's hard
to see from any kind of distance or one of the larger, faster ones that
can run a light plane down from behind where the pilot couldn't see it
coming?

Old January 14th 06, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:

Why...deploy UAVs for the mission of securing the
nation's southern border? Because UAVs cost millions of dollars, and
require a crew of 7 on the ground to operate them....

How many people are required to keep a 182 operating on the same mission?

Jack
Old January 14th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:12:46 GMT, "John Doe"
wrote:

If you're flying in VMC and you don't see that "little thing", and have a
midair, it's your fault. Why does it matter if anyone is on board the UAV
or not?

Personally I think a NOTAM saying when/where the UAVs will be should be
enough for VFR pilots to avoid the thing. Why do we need a TFR?

I was down that way a couple of weeks ago (closer to Sierra Vista) and
saw a big white airship hovering at around 2000 feet - if this is the
UAV they're talking about, you don't have to worry about it running
into you - or you not seeing it.

jb
Old January 14th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Answer a question for me: is this a little bitty slow UAV that's hard
to see from any kind of distance or one of the larger, faster ones that
can run a light plane down from behind where the pilot couldn't see it
coming?

Not to be flip, but it is a small camel or a large one?

Jose