Propellers

Old March 28th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Propellers

I want to run my engine (ford v-6) this summer for various tests and I
want some sort of prop. What do most people use for props when testing
at this stage? I was thinking of glueing together 2 or 3 fir 2x6's or
using a laminate beam (leftovers from a remodeling project) and carving
some airfoil shape. Seems like it should work if it is balanced. Of
course I don't want to sling a blade down the taxiway or through my
neighbors hangar door. Anybody offer some suggestions? Thanks.

David Woolery

Old March 29th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Philippe Vessaire" wrote

A square wood beam,
aera= a*a
diam=15*a

You find the power with this formula:
P=0.0532 * (diam/450)^5 * (rpm/1000)^3
with diam in mm
rpm in revolution / mn
or
diam=((P/0.0532) * 10^9 * 450^5 / rpm^3 ))^0.2
a=diam/15

I you want check 180hp @ 3800rpm
diam = 1026mm a = 68.4mm

Is the area in the formula the cross sectional area, side of the beam area,
surface area, or what? More information is needed, please.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 29th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

where do you enter the size of the thickness of the square?

If you want check 180hp @ 3800rpm
diam = 1026mm a = 68.4mm

Is the area in the formula the cross sectional area, side of the beam
area, surface area, or what? More information is needed, please.

the beam is diam*a*a.
for the exemple, a square 68 x 68 length 1026.

--
Pub: http://www.slowfood.fr/france
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old March 29th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Philippe Vessaire" wrote)
from Michel colomban (cricri, MC100, MCR01 designer)

"We're not worthy. We're not worthy."

Montblack :-)
Old March 30th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 28 Mar 2006 14:41:50 -0800, "
wrote:

I want to run my engine (ford v-6) this summer for various tests and I
want some sort of prop. What do most people use for props when testing
at this stage? I was thinking of glueing together 2 or 3 fir 2x6's or
using a laminate beam (leftovers from a remodeling project) and carving
some airfoil shape. Seems like it should work if it is balanced. Of
course I don't want to sling a blade down the taxiway or through my
neighbors hangar door. Anybody offer some suggestions? Thanks.

David Woolery

When I was ready to test my Ford V6, I bit the bullet and bought an
IVO Magnum prop. It's ground adjustable and all three blades adjust
simultaneously by cranking a large threaded cylinder in the hub. That
way you can flatten out the pitch so that the engine revs up to it's
maximum rpm while not moving.

I was unable to get the engine to rev past about 3,100 rpm without
repitching from the initial setting. I was reluctant to hold that
power setting for very long anyway as I was basically blowing things
off the walls behind me in the car port, and the prop was sucking sand
off the driveway and pitting the prop tips.

Corky Scott